Cleome seeds?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I was just wondering if these are ready to collect yet or do they turn brown?

Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Looks to me like you could pick them and dry them. But i'll check

sow at 18oC germination takes 10-21 days. But can be erratic.
Hope that helps
Mike

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Connie,

When the pod "pops" in your hand and the seeds spill out they are ready to collect. When you touch the "bean" and just the touch of your hand makes it pop, they are ready.

I hope this helps.

Kim

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey Connie, they look like green beans! I'm hoping my neighbor will give me some, she has about 40 cleome plants.

~Sunny

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks all.

hineni, heres a pic of the ones I have, I came home from vacation to find them all in bloom :o If your neighbor don't give you any, I will. Once I can collect the seeds.
the two tone white and pink mix is really hard to see in the picture. but boy is she pretty.

Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker

They look fantastic. Collect lots of seeds and i'm sure you will be able to swap them for all sorts of plants. I'll certainly swap seeds for them.
Mike

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

:o)

I am going to try and get all the seeds from each color that I can.

Connie

Let us know how you go.
Have fun
Mike

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Oooh, that hot pink one is gorgeous!! Love it. Just let me know via D-mail if you have them and I'll send an SASBE.
Or, if I have anything in my meager seed stock you might be interested in let me know. I'm working on my trade list over the next week or so (hopefully!)

Just found out I'll be covering a vacationing co-worker, so I hope I can find the hours to do all that needs to be done..hahaha!

Thanks,
~Sunny

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I will try and get seeds for you when they become available and hold on to them for you. Will let you know when. Connie

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Connie,

If you should happen to get more of the Cherry colored seeds and have enough to share, I would LOVE some also. I have the other colors but not the Cherry colored ones. I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Kim

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

You bet,

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much Connie, I would LOVE to add the Cherry ones to the colors I already grow.

I have TONS of mixed cleome seeds (mostly dark/light purple and pink/white but you also might get a seed or 2 of pure white) if anyone is interested in SASBE. I put the front bed to rest today and have more cleome seeds than I can ever give away and more to harvest from the back bed.

Kim

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Here are my cleome this year. These are in my daylily beds !!!!! I try to pull most of them up until after the daylilies bloom, then I let them come on up if there are any left . I had a "few" as you can see !!! I have not collected any seeds yet but I will have tons. I just never bother collecting them. Shame on me!!!

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

These plants are fabulous! Very showy and started blooming for me in late spring and still going strong. They're getting a bit leggy though. As was mentioned before, touch the pod and bend it. If it breaks open easily it's ready. I cut off all the seed pods at the same time. The plant will continue to produce more pods and flowers all summer long. As soon as the new pods are ready, then I cut them off, too. These can be invasive in some areas, so be sure to collect all the pods if you don't want them to reseed themselves.

I have tons of cleome seeds! All white, pink & white, and purple & white. Will trade with anyone who wants them.

JoAnn

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

corgimom, you forgot your picture :o)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So did we ever decide if we can bring the seed pods inside before they are completely ready? Can we hang the not-yet-ready pods upsidae down with a paper bag over them and let them dry until the seeds pop out? :)

Thanks!
Jacci

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

none of the ones I brought in turned

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Jacci,
I tried that method and it doesn't work as well as letting nature take its' course. Usually, the pods closest to the flower are not ready, but check the row of pods below them. The older the pods, the more likely they are ready to be picked. The seeds should be black or dark brown when ready.

JoAnn

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks! :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I think you're supposed to let pods from all plants turn brown on the plant. Then the seeds are viable

Karen

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Just a note - I found this year that many of the seed pods from my Cleomes started splitting open when they were still green. Does anyone know if these seed are ripe enough to harvest? I had a bunch of my pods to open this way, like you said before frausnow, the ones closer to the bottom.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

If the seeds are black or brown they are ready, I had several pods do this. cg

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

ansonfan,
Ditto on what cegoins said.

JoAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.