New Vegetable beds

Treviso, Italy(Zone 9a)

I just created these vegetable beds and am all excited about them :)

Thumbnail by viqarqadir
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

You should be. They look wonderful. Good work!

Treviso, Italy(Zone 9a)

thanks Zeppy
one more picture that shows a bit of the design...my first wood work project...no complaints here :)

Thumbnail by viqarqadir
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

What are you going to grow in them?

Treviso, Italy(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure yet
I think the planting season for this year has ended already because the winters here are quite extreme. Next year I'm planning to have the following in them:

Peas
Salad
Tomatoes
Melons
Aubergine
Cauliflower
Chilli pepper
and probably one plant of water melon

The beds are nine foot long and 3 foot wide so I should be able to plant a little bit of everything above.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

You could probably try growing endive and winter greens, if you can rig some hoops and plastic over the beds.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Your beds are lovely! You can grow a wide variety of cool weather crops such as cabbages, chicories, lettuces, chards, corn salad (Varleriana or mache), kale etc. You can probably get a crop of beets and carrots in too.

I don't believe Treviso gets any hard frosts, so if you use fleece or plastic row covers, you can really extend the seasons.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Raised beds are great. I would suggest that you line the inside of the wood frame (but not the bottom) with some kind of plastic or polyethylene. This will prevent the soil from drying out too fast at the edges of the bed.
Dave.

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, good job.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.