Yeah, our forum!

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm just a little behind... LOL :)

Glad we got this going. I've been so out of the loop with a busy summer almost behind me, I'm ready to settle back in with my DG friends for the winter :)

Sarah

Denver, CO

Hey? Who's that? Is it she?
Back in school? How's the celestial miniperson of similar genetics?

Kenton the un-in-touch

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

hehe ;) Yes, it's me. It turned out to be a whopper of a busy summer!

School starts Monday, I'm going out of town this weekend for one last hurrah before getting back to the endless studies :).

Stella's good, VERY excited about going back to school. I guess after 3 months of being together almost 24-7, she's officially sick of me. LOL :) That's fine, the feeling's mutual, and I could use a break too :)

When do you go back?

Sarah

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

HEY Sarah!!!!

So good to see you back! I have missed you we need to catch up on all the STUFF LOL so glad Stella is doing well!!! Miss you terribly!

Henry says hello!! He is getting ready for first grade LOL

Many hugs to you and Stella

Anne

Denver, CO

Today is the second day. Enjoy your last Hurrah!
K

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, Anne... I need to call you sometime :) I'll probably call on the weekend when minutes are free. :)

Hope it's not too grueling to be in the classroom and out of the garden, K :)

Sarah

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

you know me not in the garden much anyway! Would love to catch up ~~~~~

A

Denver, CO

Grueling and Horrible, life is utterly unbearable.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey, introduce yourselves to those of us who are new to this forum! I'm so glad to meet you!

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Hello Revclaus,

I've lurked around your posts a few times :) Knowing that you were a "local" :). I've seen the pictures of your containers lined up so pretty on your patio. :) And I think I have a picture of your view saved to my computer... the one with the rainbow maybe? Can't remember :)

Anyway, I'm Sarah, from Loveland... give a holler anytime! :) Nice to meet you!

Sarah

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hello Sarah from Loveland. I am Steve from Kalispell. Welcome to our special forum. Hope to become friends like Magoobu is. I am the conservative quiet one on our forum. This is a shot off an island in AK I was working at.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Where is Kalispell? I suppose I could go find a map lol... my grandpa lives in the Bitterroot valley.

I just watched a thing a few weeks ago on Discovery about fishermen in Alaska... sheesh, those guys are crazy! ;)

I've always thought I should move there to find a decent feller, as there is a 9:1 ratio of men to women there. lol :)

Nice to "meet" you!

Sarah

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The Bitterroot valley is straight south about 150 miles. We are up at Glacier Nat Park. Lots of men here but lots of women too. Getting Crowded.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Sarah and magoobu, I'm Donna from Tonasket, on the east slopes of the Cascades. I have lived in this area all my 80 years. While my husband was alive we had 80 acres of apple orchard, which we sold before the bottom dropped out of apple market in this area. We lived in our built in 1912 house in the middle of the orchard for 50 years. Then I sold the house and bought this 5 1/2 acres of sagebrush and grass and began again.

Here is a photo of my beginning small woodland garden.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Donna that is gorgeous!!!

Denver, CO

Quiet? Steve? Like a churchmouse during mass...

Do you still grow African Violets and do patio gardening, Sarah? (For the group...)
Kenton

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have never heard a churchmouse in any sermon, I have heard a few praising the Lord when things get rocking. LOL
This is the shark cage I thought. But it turned out to be a salmon trap for a commercial salmon company.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Donna, you continue to be an inspiration - hope that I can get something besides sage brush and tumble weed to grow on our 4.77 sand lot (although the rocks seem to be doing fine) :-)

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Hi Sarah I am the newbie/foreigner of the group. While I do not know where an odd place like Kalispell is I did start my life in Sherwood Park, but then moved to Raymond which is near odd sounding places like Waterton, Cardston, Lethbridge, Milk River and my favorite….. Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump. Seperated by a common language you would say sofa I’ld say chesterfield, you would say state I’ld say provinicial yes I am pigmentally challenged. Giggles over the Great White Scare.
Nadine

Denver, CO

Ah, the Munificently Quirky Nadine.

(For the record, I'm a real Lethbridge fan)

Do not try to ingratiate yourself with me young man, I know you, your the type to "I tend to whisper with great intensity to it: "Compost... Composssssst..." I hear the Gollum in your voice you do not fool me for one minute, Smeagol. Why in heavens name have you been to Lethbridge?

Denver, CO

Why not? Charming place. I still don't know what the great, silly, ugly bridge is for though, anyway. An odd thing to be proud of.
And I would never compost a SLC-ite, (even a transplant) how dare you says such a nasty thing. Sarah knows my real delicate, sensitive, and sincere nature, so you cannot libel me on her thread, Miss Never-A-Dull Insinuation-Not-Exclaimed.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

OK if we are discussing Lethbridge I HATE THEIR HOCKEY TEAM! They often beat my Great Falls Americans on the ice. The games were always good but Lethbridge BOO?
Oh MQN we too have a "Head smashed in" Buffalo jump near the head of the Missouri R and it has a brewry nearby with that as their best amber brew. So ours is more important than that one up north.

So I am not good enough for your compost eh? I am sure that "celestial miniperson of similar genetics" knows your true nature therefore it is not libelous. Now wasn’t using my name much easier…..wait a minute, wait a gosh dang minute……dull….Dull….DULL….now THAT hurts not devious, demonic, demoralizing, depraved, diabolical but dull. After all the nice things I have said about you…….Why I OUGHTA….deep cleansing breath….Kowtowing Encourages Neanderthal To Obsequious Nonsense.

You know Steve I used to think you were a nice guy, then you bring up the H word. That is also TOO cruel! What is this a tag team grudge match? What happened to all the women around here?

Denver, CO

Don't worry; you can hold your own, Nefarious Agressor (of) Deserving Imbecile Nepotist Elements.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All is fair in hockey and war. I miss the times in front of the plexiglass. Ooooooowwww.

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Boy, you guys sure got on a roll while I was away! :)

Glad to see the fun being had by everyone on "my thread" :) hehe I feel like such a good hostess! :) Now, just you guys make sure no blood gets on my furniture LOL :)

Back to school tomorrow, guess I'd better go find my backpack! :O

Sarah :)

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

If the guys start "rassling" make sure they don't roll over any of the flower beds. :-)

I'm really not a fan of hockey, but since I almost got my rib broken in my last karate tournament, I guess I can't say much. (Those girls hit hard!)

I will not talk hockey, I will not talk hockey, I will not....

Found some type of bull thistle in the backyard not spiney so much more like artichoke (not real prickly) got way back in there to get it, well to make a long story short I failed to notice all the mature "sticky seed heads".......I used to have longer hair...(do you have any idea how hard this junk is to get out of hair?) ....this plant and "most" of the seeds got cremated not composted or thrown in trash where wind can pick up a disperse when the can gets dumped into the truck - no prisoners.

I have decided to give amnesity to the milkweed in my yard, I saw a monarch the other day something I have not seen in years. The folks over at the Butterfly and Hummingbird forum convinced me to keep some (asclepias speciosa if I am not mistaken) and I am glad I did but next year the numbers will be severly declined (my neighbors have enough). Do not have the heart to pull anymore out this year but I have popping the seed pods off of them.

Wondering if anyong else has decided they can live with a "weed"....and if so why?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I live with several of my favorite "weeds". Chamisa has a beautiful gold flower right about now. It actually makes a lovely landscape bush, except it is in the same category with bind weed for invasiveness. Uses some of the same methods too. I don't pull up native sunflowers except in my vegetable patch. I don't pull up those lovely purple asters that start blooming all over the northern part of the state this time of year. And I have been lovingly tending the prarie onion identified by Green Jay on this forum. I don't destroy gramma grass. If I need to use the place where it is living, I move it. And I carefully tend the native penstamens that are growing in my vacant lot. Then there is another plant with red and yellow flowers that grows on the outer edge of my vacant lot. Unfortunately, if I don't cut it down in the area between the sidewalk and the street, the county does. It seems my neighbors don't care for the "weeds". Luckily some of this plant grows on my side of the sidewalk. I am forced to thin the ponderosa pines and the firs that pop up everywhere but it hurts every time. And I never cut down the native rose locusts unless they encroach on a flower bed.
Wild flowers are lovely around here. Its just that they have minds of their own.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

(sometimes San Jose Sharks fan -- but my brother has it reallly bad...she whispers very softly:ever play hockey on roller skates? not for the feint of heart...or the weak of knee...)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I will not talk hockey.... I will not talk hockey..... ESPECIALLY ON ROLLER SKATES! GEEEZZZ.
I always keep 2 or 3 mullen plants, several Thistle, and a group of wild roses. Though I pull them up before seeds on the Mullen, and Thistle. The roses are easy to control. Plus I like the rose hips after the flower.
This beautiful Astilbe is now a brown patch in the garden. Though it will be back next year. I hate (oops) dislike the hot blows of late august. Thank goodness a cold front is headed our way for tomorrow night. Yeaaaaayyyy

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Denver, CO

All of my weeds come from an irrigated field behind- none are native nor pretty.

Aslepias speciosa. I saw the neatest thing while looking for the remains of an old train roundhouse in Limon, CO a few weeks ago. The plants were being thoroughly defoliated by the larvae of a butterfly that has been largely on the wane in my local observation.

We all hope you survive the first week of school, Sarah. Especially me, because if you die, I don't stand a chuffing chance.
Kenton

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea

Buying Excessive Tulips Triggers Yardwork - I feel the exact same way when it comes to pruning....besides their look is their any redeeming qualities to the "weeds" you live with? So I can give "reasons" why its in my back yard....

Knees Are Rudely Latently Accosted - you tell that brother of yours one Naa.aa..
aasty OIL spill will knock his team out.....for GOOD!

Sophisticated Traveler Enjoys Various Eccentricities: Once again your photos generate envy.....Being from wild rose country I had to name mine - Rosa Rugosa aka Rosanna-Rosanna Danna do you do anything with the hips or do you leave for birds? And do you leave those weeds for the bugs to attack or some other....

Echoing well wishes to our kind hostess.....

Nasty attitudes diminish individuals nurture exellence.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2006 9:59 AM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My Querroulous Nadine your compliments are recieved with pleasure. I have tried to eat the rose hips and they are bitter shortly after they begin to dry. But as everyone knows here there is little in my garden that I don't eat. Better for the immune system. Yes I always leave berries which I have a ton of and a variety that would attract the traveler from afar. I just don't get them or stop here. I WANT WARBLERS, could someone give an invite from the ones in you yard to mine. Tell them that I have choke cherry, Multiple viburnum berries, Aronia, crab apple, and rose hips for those who stay at Someone Traversing Every Variable Event. Bon Appetite my warbler friends. Oh tell them I have lodging for hundreds of them in Ponderosa suites, Doug Fir suites, and many dense Acer areas.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Denver, CO

Isn't Nadine great? I'm still getting over those brilliant (an-)acronyms.

Good luck on the bird buffet, Stevie-Oh.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I had a visitor to the elderberry shrub that grows just outside my study window. It was a immature blackheaded grosbeak, probably on its way to winter quarters and attracted by the elderberry fruit. Couldn't get a photo tho.

Donna

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

You are breaking my heart... grosbeaks in September? I keep proposing elderberries for our landscape improvements, and so far no one quite gets the point!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes Donna our Grossbeakes show up only in the late spring for a short time. I too love them. Never have seen them in the late summer.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I saw them years ago in August in upstate NY. For about 10 seconds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.