Weeping Hemlock

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Now that is what they should look like. I would be embarressed to show a picture of mine after seeing yours.

Eau Claire, WI

AddieOtto, that's an incredible specimen! I'm not sure which one I like better (Guy's pic or this one), but I'd give up a major body organ to have either. Thanks for sharing it.

LeviLyla, this isn't high school--you needn't be embarressed. Come on, show us your Weeping Hemlock.

Bob

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have to keep triming this back because it is in the wrong place like everything else in my garden

Thumbnail by levilyla
Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

If only I could take credit for that hemlock being in my own yard but alas it is not. This and a few other gorgeous weepers are at Longwood Gardens in Southeastern PA. Worth the trip.

My two weeping hemlocks are teeny tots. This photo is of my Sargents right after planting. And my other (unnamed) weeping hemlock was a steal as a mislabelled plant at a Home Depot. It had obviously been mislabelled before even reaching the store because there were a few with original (incorrect) labels attached. Lucky find.

Sue

Thumbnail by AddieOtto
Eau Claire, WI

I'm stuck up in Two Harbors, MN, with a computer mouse that doesn't work. It takes about a minute to move the cursor across the screen, but otherwise everything is perfect. I stopped at Edelweiss Nursery earlier in the day and set aside an Acer truncatum var. Mono(?) and Carpinus japonica. Actually, I just made them an offer on the two and the owner's wife said they'd discuss it over dinner. I think that was actually a jab at me (she gave me a look that said just how cheap are you), but I'll take her at her word.

levilyla, The water feature and Hemlock looks very nice. Did you design that? I don't think that's something I could pull off, but it looks beautiful. I appreciate you sharing it.

AddieOtto, Your Tsuga looks a bit larger than the one I just planted. What's your plan for staking it? My understanding is it'll sprawl along the ground if not staked. I have a real aversion to staking plants, but I'm willing to commit to this one if need be. I really need to get to eastern PA/Delaware Valley ASAP. But first, OREGON!

Dave's Garden--My home away from home.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am wondering if AdieOtto's is a Cole's Prostrate on standard. That is the one that crawls along the ground...I didn't think the regular weeping Hemlock did.

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Actually, my hemlock is a Sergeant's that was trained (prior to my getting it) to a stake at the edge of a water garden.

We were looking specifically for a Sergeant's and they had only this one at our favorite nursery but of course it was planted IN the display gardens. We visited it expecting that they might get more in for sale this year but when we realized they weren't going to get any we begged to buy it right out of the display garden. Begrudgingly they dug it, bundled it and sold it to us. Still had its original Monrovia labels. I don't intend to do anything other than maintain the original staking. It should not get very tall (probably not more than 5 feet or so) at all but will widen.

Weeping hemlocks will weep or crawl and my unnamed weeper is growing in a mounding habit rather than a crawling one. It is not staked at all.

Next year (or this fall!!!) is a Jeddeloh for a spot by a new pond. Although if our nursery makes the mistake of selling all of them and leaving the only one left in the display garden they will be once again.. forced to dig.

Then Cole's... Then Bennett... Then Gracilis... Then... I will admit I have a hemlock problem!

Sue

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I planted a Sargents Weeping Tsuga in my windbreak bank in 2000. I will post a photo. It is in full sun sandy not very good soil.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

Say Donna, nice arrangement. Looks very appealing.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

All of these pictures make my garden look dark, cluttered, and messy.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Equil, That is the western end of my windbreak row. The western 100 feet of the windbreak is mixed evergreens and deciduous. The eastern 150 feet is pretty much a single row of mostly Hill Spire Juniper. I went out to take a photo but lighting is not good so not a good picture. Donna

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is the photo of the east end of windbreak row. They are about 10 feet from redwood fence.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Does anyone else have dreams where all the good gardeners live in the same neighborhood and all the slobs (and deer, and borers) are banished to some "other" place? Wouldn't it be fantastic to be able see every garden and every superior plant in this forum in a single afternoon? And to not have to drive by hobo-land to get there?

Of well, I suppose if that happened, no one would appreciate the special places they've created because they'd all be competing. So everyone just send me your very best specimen trees and we'll plant them all here instead. Then you'll all have more room for additional stuff!

Guy S.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

They're in the mail :)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Guy, you don't have to dream; just come to KY. And you don't have to pass through WI to get here. Only IN, and that's quite a nice transition.

The ostracized ogres and oaks, er, oafs, are in that "other" IL-mannered land, so I've heard. At least a lot of whine is said to emanate from there.

Eau Claire, WI

I may whine, but I am not ostrich-sized!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

KY -- yes, thanks, that's the word I was trying to think of when I said hobo-land! Now, what were you saying again about botanical cats and wine?

Guy S.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

What do you expect from the state that gave you bluegrass?....AND attack cats that protect wine displays. :>}

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is my weeping hemlock. I got it from a demolition sale 2 years ago in Lagrange for only a few bucks. It was in heavy shade and has been filling out well for me despite being moved again this spring to hopefully its final place.

Bill

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

The hemlocks are beautiful. Hope to have enough shade to grow one here someday.

Lev- I think your gardens are beautiful. With so much wide open space I am totally envious of your shady, private garden.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

chamthy...you are very kind...I guess the grass is always greener. In my next life..I want a house in full sun with mature conifers all around it and farther away a FLAT woodland garden overlooking a lake. Huge perennial and shrub borders and about 10 strong men there everyday so I can point.

LL:

There's a valley in central KY with your name written all over it. You need to take a road trip and investigate some investment acreage.

I'll talk to my five younger taller (but equally EHSP) brothers about the pointing part. Their wives say they take direction well.

We can have iced tea on the wrap-around porch.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

EHSP...I just knew you could make my dream come true. Your brothers' wives are extrememly lucky..how would they take direction from an old lady?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Lurker here. I'm in love with weeping tsuga and having trouble talking myself out of planting one where it would be in mostly sun, so I'm finding this thread very encouraging. no problem with getting it plenty of water. was thinking about a Gentsch. any pros/cons or other suggestions? are they all slow growers?

gram

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

gram, I have a Gentsch white,. It is 10 years old now and only about 36" but I did buy it for a bonsai, but decided after a few years that that wasn't going to work so planted it in full sun at south edge of my windbreak row. It is now showing signs of faster growth

My other tsuga weeping hemlock is also planted in full sun at south side of windbreak row and is growing quite nicely.

Donna

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks, Donna. that's just what I was looking for. they say it can take sun without burning, but I'm hesitant to believe what I read. 3' in 10 yrs would be fine with me. I'm looking to keep it smaller. from what I've read pruning can help keep the color nice, too.

LL:

Quoting:
EHSP...I just knew you could make my dream come true. Your brothers' wives are extremely lucky..how would they take direction from an old lady?

I wouldn't presume, but my mom is a spry 75 year old this year, and she has no problem bringing any one of us into line.

Mostly, it just takes timely food to sustain vigor.

grampapa:

As a western NY resident, you may only have to worry about crushing snow loads. I can't believe that you'd have any trouble growing a weeping hemlock with abandon. Tsuga canadensis 'Sargentii' is a large grower derived from original plants found on Fishkill Mountain, NY. Look up the story in Arnoldia 40: 202-223 (1980) written by Peter Del Tredici.

One of these days, I'll get my slide collection scanned and I'll be able to post pictures of these kinds of things. Planting Fields Arboretum on Long Island has some stellar specimens; "...likened it to a ghost, gracefully sweeping across the landscape..." as one author put it.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

VV, actually, we rarely have crushing snow loads. last winter, although unusual, I would have liked to have had more snow to give my new heather garden some protection in it's first winter. I live north of Buffalo and the 'snow belt' is south of the city.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

EHSP...I need to talk to your mother.

No way! Too many stories on me, and that would deflate the whole e-EHSP persona.

Better the image of the kindly old professor type (like my dad).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.