Weeping Hemlock

Eau Claire, WI

I love the weeping habit of this Hemlock and have wanted one for some time. I haven't pulled the trigger due to cost and concern about finding a spot where it wouldn't fry. I ran across one yesterday that is very reasonably priced and seems to be quite healthy. Has anyone had luck growing one in full sun? The spot I'm thinking of is out a bit from a north facing wooded slope, and would get 6-8 hours of sun during summer. This will be decreasing as a few nearby trees are starting to achieve some size. However, during winter months it would be almost entirely in shade, which I'm thinking would be beneficial. Soil is well drained and stays moist except for extended dry periods(like this summer). Is this a wimpy grower that is quick to decline if not doted on? I don't want another needy plant, but this one is hard to pass on.

Bob

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I saw a group of them planted in full sun at Rich's of Rich's Foxwillow Pines in Woodstock. They were doing well but I didn't ask how much water he was throwing at them. I would guess that would be the issue in your case, just water well. Go for it.

Bill

Eau Claire, WI

This is about 175' from the house and I definitely don't want be carrying water to it. During a year with normal rainfall (or even slightly below) I don't think I'd have to water it once established. I'm just wondering if the foliage can handle this much sun. The web searches I've done are all over the board on this, with some saying partial shade to full shade, and others saying partial shade to full sun.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Bob, the only really nice ones I can recall seeing all have been in partial shade, but I haven't seen very many. Your northern latitude should help somewhat. Can you plant a tall-growing tree west of it and protect it some other way for a couple of years until that tree gains some size?

Guy S.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Maack:

Good contrast right here in my neighborhood. One guy has 15 year old trees planted in his woods, good bottomland soil, not a spec of sunlight though. They are deep dark green and beautiful. Next door neighbor has one in full sun, no watering, and it looks just ok, with light green needles. Both are surviving just fine. I planted 80 of them around the entire periphery of my property, almost all in deep shade. So far, so good. I do make sure they are watered though(actually, it's my son's job). I would say they prefer cool moist woodland conditions, but will grow in full sun. The closer you get to cool moist conditions, the better.

Eau Claire, WI

Yup, no doubt cooler conditions are best. I took a walk back there at around 3:30 and it was in full shade. I think I'll plant it (you get the feeling my mind's made up) closer to the edge of the woods where there's a large Red Pine to the north and a 15' Red Maple to the west that is starting to shoot up. I don't have a tsingle Tsuga (not even a Pseudo) on the place, so I think I'll give it a go.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey, if you have no perfect place for it you could bring it down here to me when you come to the oak field day . . . you're registered, right?
;-)

Guy S.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm bringing plants Guy.

Dax

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh Boy! After seeing the cool stuff you grow, I'm drooling already! Just don't bring anything that it would hurt too bad to see me kill because I'd feel so guilty!
Guy S.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

You gotta be tough Guy!

You'll be droolin', then again, so will others!!!

I'll enjoy just being there.

LATRO!

Dax

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I looked in my "Native Trees of Canada" book and it says right in there under habitat, "...requires a moist cool location." Out this way the Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) always seems to grow in and to the edge of wooded areas and seems to grow best in sheltered summer-cool spots that remain moist. It's the most common tree to grow in the stump of a cut cedar.

ps. Maackia, I've added new pics to PF of a different species of Maackia but the blooms were to high up to get with my crappy camera. M. Fauriei

Thumbnail by growin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
... don't have a tsingle Tsuga (not even a Pseudo)...

My man!

Eau Claire, WI

Growin - Thanks for sharing the photo...that one is new to me. The only other tree from this genus I'm familiar with (besides M. amurensis) is M. chinensis, which is marginally hardy in z4. I'm guessing fauriei is even less cold hardy. My M. amurensis didn't flower this year.

VV - I thought you'd like that.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Multiplying native "stands" of Minnesota Tsuga canadensis are also in moist, cool. Don't be discouraged if the weeping hemlock looses its needles for the first few winters. As long as it regrows in the summer season, it should grow out of it. In my experience though, hemlock can take a lot of dry IF they get a lot of shade.

Is that Native Trees of Canada by Hosie? Picked it up at a used book sale. An interesting read as there is a lot of info that is not in other books. Who'd of thought Jack pine male flowers were edible?

Rick

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Yes, Native Trees of Canada by Hosie - I've got a used one and good backup reference. Jackpine edible or palitable?

Next year your Maackia will bloom!

I guess take it as you want. Here's the quote:

Parboiling the male flower clusters to remove excess resin makes them suitable for eating.

Who would want to eat it? I mean, I'll eat just about anything but I've never par boiled flower clusters. What does it taste like? Is there even any taste? Are there actual recipes out there for the flower clusters?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've eaten Pseudotsuga menziesii shoots and it tasts like tree shoots. We used to munch on them while on a hike like gum but worse taste.

Maackia, you may also want to look at the Weeping Douglas Fir I came across - nice form and growth and probably able to take more exposure. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/138637/index.html

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Here's a self-sown Western Hemlock for y'all . . . they grow like weeds around here

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

I saw the radar this morning; is that Maackia is doin' the naked rain dance around Eau Claire?

Eau Claire, WI

Well I was until nasty sky to ground lightning scared me into the house. Y'll know I'm not properly grounded. I think the drought is officially over-- Yahoo! August has brought a more typical weather pattern...regular rain, warm days and cool evenings. High today of 77F(25C). Good thing allergy season is here or otherwise I wouldn't have anything to complain about. ;)

EQ, I've never tried the Jack pine flowers. That's all the info he gave, so at what stage to pick them is up to you.

Quoting:
Who would want to eat it?

Er . . um . . . a hungry women? Curiosity will get ya! I think you are the best candidate to teste them and report back for us next spring. Are the rest of you all with me on this?

Lets take a vote. All in favor, say aye . . .

Rick

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Aye

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Actually, I think Terryr should eat them...

AYE

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Both of them!
Aaarrrrggggghhhhhh!

Well, it would appear the Ayes have it. Ok Rick, send me some male flowers because I'm always hungry and open to trying something new. I can parboil them and share some with Terry. Who knows, I might like them. All you Ayes may have created a monster if I acquire an insatiable taste for them.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Too bad there aren't edible parts of the "Abomination" that you could develope a insatiable taste for...

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

NO!!!
You keep her the heck away from my abomination!!!

Guy S.

Guy's abominations have a Special Purpose.

Yes, I hear a rumbly in my tummy right now!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a couple of weeping hemlocks and they are in shade...but have been plagued with the wooly adalgid. Even when I spray with dormant oil they seem to persist. I have seen them in full sun around here and they seem to do well (one super large one in full sun).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I remember making the comment about Hemlock growing in cut Cedar trunks and here's one I came across today.

Thumbnail by growin
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's what you have to look forward to, if you live long enough -- distant and close views of the same tree, taken last year at the Polly Hill Arboretum on Martha's Vineyard.
Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
Concord, NH

Both my yard and my inlaws have hedgerows of Tsuga canadensis (regular, not weeping) in full sun and a fair amount of wind without problems. Our natural stands are in deep shade, but at least this far north, hemlocks have no problems with full sun. My inlaws are planted at the top of a hill in extremely sandy soil, though it has a fair amount of water running through it.

Eau Claire, WI

I guess I'd settle for one like in Guy's pic. So what do you think, about 5-10 years to go from this to that?

Thumbnail by Maackia
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Better dig out the Miracle-Gro!
Have you found a way to come on 9 September?
Guy S.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

NHBabs...why did you plant your inlaws at the top of a hill?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Ohhh, Levi -- that's terrible!!!! Pickin on poor Babs like that! You should never pick on anyone -- you're too nice. Leave the dirty work to me!
;-)

Guy S.

Oh goodness gracious, couldn't NHBabs have just scattered the cremains of her inlaws? Why bury them? ;)

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

New to this section (usually hang out in hostas). I stopped by to ask a question but saw this weeping hemlock post. They grow in plenty of sun. In about oh... a hundred years... you might have one this size. Hard to tell from the photo but it's about the size of a house. Although this is actually three trees, they are growing in lots of sun. Don't think you will have any problems. I have two little ones - love em.

Sue

Thumbnail by AddieOtto

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.