Nature vs. Nurture

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

In my neck of the woods there is a common landscape technique that is beginning to pose quite a problem for me. Once out of the immediate downtown areas a majority of the homes leave untouched any strip of their land that happens to abut a road way or neighbor. I will admit this does create a sense of rural continuity for the road and in some cases privacy without the responsibility of up keep for the home owner. My problem has become one of Nature vs. Nurture; over the course of many years I have cultivated and nurtured areas abutting the untouched sections where nature’s thugs have laid their claim. The number one most dreaded thug on my list is Poison Ivy followed by Bittersweet, Japanese Honeysuckle, Brambles, ect, ect. I have fought the good fight using from my arsenal brush cutters, mowers (really scary), hand weeding, Round Up/Brush B Gone for Poison Ivy, and at one time considered the possibility of a goat. I continue to use all of these techniques when needed and it dawned on me the other day that I am spending far too much time tending the untended garden. Once I made the decision to fight the thugs back the previously untouched strip of land officially became a garden area but how far I go with this area is a delicate balance. There are no dirtier two words whispered from neighbor to neighbor than “clear cutting” so starting with a clean slate is out of the question and even if I did it would be no time before my neighbors thugs moved back in. My attempts at subtle introductions to this area have met with some successes but probably more failures and I am sure my efforts have earned me the reputation of “the crazy garden lady” but it is my estimate if I put down my arsenal and let nature take it’s course I probably have 3-5 years before my cultivated areas have been over come. Is this on going battle of trying to hold back the ever encroaching unintended plant varieties the true definition of gardening or is there simply some technique I have yet to try? Are any of you fighting a similar battle if so I would appreciate hearing about your victories no matter how small? kt

This thread has 58 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!