Hyphaene Growth Rates

Tescott, KS(Zone 5b)

I have a few H. coriacea started from seed in March, These have been fast growers so far.

I'm curious what the growth rate is like once in ground ?

Thanks,

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 10:38 PM

Thumbnail by knnn
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Growing Hyphaene coriacea

Like the Kosi palm, this is not a plant for a small garden, although it is very slow growing. The large, chunky, palmate leaves with their greyish colour will appeal to those looking for something different. The plant does sucker and forms clumps. Lala palms may be grown from seeds, which are placed on top of the soil. Coates Palgrave (2002) notes that the seeds are difficult to germinate. Bottom heat may be needed for germination; Pooley (1993) suggests that germination may be enhanced by beating the seeds to soften the seed-coat, before planting. Nichols (2001) suggests (failing a friendly elephant to do the job for you) cleaning off the outer pulp and squeezing the seed in a vice to crack the hard outer coat. Sow the seed directly on the ground where you want it to grow, as these plants transplant with difficulty. If you do buy a young plant or grow one in a bag, take care not to injure the massive taproot when transplanting.

These palms prefer growing in alluvial sands. They grow slowly, but need much space for expansion. The Natal Herbarium tree is reputedly about 100 years old, and is about six metres tall. Moll indicates that lala palms grow at the rate of about one new leaf a year.

In view of the above, it is not surprising that lala palms are so rarely seen in gardens that their pests and diseases are unknown. Untreated fruits kept for decorative purposes may be attacked by cigarette beetles and other similar insects. The usual treatments (freezing, fumigation, insecticide spray) are adequate to control this provided that the damage is noticed in time.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That depends on your climate. Here in So Cal they vary a lot depending on if grown in the desert (fast!) or coast (slug). I live in between so I would say moderate growth (which, compared to most other trees is very slow, or compared to most palms in Florida is VERY slow)... to me it is one of the faster and better palms here in So Cal if you live in a climate that doesnt get too much frost (will burn to the ground in frosty climates... though often recover). This is easily one of my favority species of palm... good luck!!

As for needing a larger garden, again, depends on your climate. I have seen them grown all over So Cal in dinky gardens and seem quite happy. As for the growth rate- leaves per year, I get about 10 leaves per year now (just a 3' seedling, already split once)... but in a wamer, tropical climate like Florida, these can grow over a foot a year (much better climate than its own native AFrican climate). My friend in Orlando reports about 20-25 new leaves a year per stem. I leaf a year would be pretty sad for this species (but par for the course for many other species of palm).

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 9:41 PM

Tescott, KS(Zone 5b)

Thank You for the replies!
One of my favorites too, these seem to be a palm that thrives regardless of my "care"

I do have one in ground out in the GH , (reason for this topic), Just getting a feel for how long I have before the greenhouse will have to be expanded to accomodate. ( seems like a small price to be able to grow and enjoy one of these :-)

This message was edited Aug 19, 2006 8:43 AM

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

My guess is it will out grow a greenhouse (unless you have a really wide/tall one) in about 4 years.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is my palm about 10 months ago... This is a year after it had no leaves, thanks to a cold snap the day after I bought it... just a spike. Here it is still a 'single' palm.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

now it has two separate 'trunks' and is growing much faster, though from last year's photo to about April of this year, there was no change (these do not tend to grow here in So Cal in the winter once the temps get out of the 80s... they just go into a coma for 4-6 months).

Thumbnail by palmbob
Tescott, KS(Zone 5b)

That is a nice looking palm and a well done garden,
Thanks for the pictures!

( Pictures like that really test my resolve not to pack up for a better climate :-)

The one below on the right seems to be generating another growing point, Maybe some early branching?
These have really been fast growers thanks to a warm summer , (Even the Banyan seedling has dropped some aerial roots)

Thumbnail by knnn
Tescott, KS(Zone 5b)

These are the two I have planted, Picked out the small ones that weren't taking to a container culture very well.
Growth is picking up so they should have a good chance.

Thumbnail by knnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.