hydrangea Annabell

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

MY neighbor will give me some H. Annabell cutting after the first frost. Will it be possible to root them at that time? What is the best method of propagating them?

Gary

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Post this to the Hydrangea forum, that's where the hyd experts lurk.
I know for other hyds, you propagate mid to late summer (where I live, July and August) by cutting a stem without a bloom. Follow the procedures here:
http://nantuckethydrangea.com/propagation.html
Your neighbor should really give you the cutting now. After you root it, don't plant it but overwinter it in your basement or garage; in your zone you may have to protect it with mulch or a bag or 2 of fallen leaves (like a blanket). Plant next spring, or even the spring after, after potting up to a gallon-sized container. But post to the hyd forum for more advice.

Raleigh, NC

I just got a bunch of mostly hardwood cuttings in a trade and looks like 100% of them rooted, even after going through the mail and sitting around a few days. Not sure if they were Annabelle, but they were "Annabelle type." I just recut the ends, dusted them with rooting hormone and set them outside in pots in the shade ( we have a kazillion percent humidity and in the 90's right now). Just kept moist and saw roots, believe it or not, in less than two weeks. I would do ahead and the cuttings now. If it doesn't work, just get some more in a month or two, and root them in the house for warmth. Good Luck..

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I take cuttings from mid July to the end of the first week in August, because I want the plant healthy enough to overwinter here outdoors. I would try to get the cuttings now (they won't disfigure the plant) and get them started. As you know, in MI you will protect them anyway. I'm not certain that a cutting after a good frost would be a good thing, but I don't live in the north. I live in a greenhouse environment. Good post, yotedog - I do the same thing. Seems to work. I think we kill more cuttings from overcare (watering) than by neglect. I propagate many woody plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.