Blue Impatiens Seeds

Dowagiac, MI

I'm wondering if the rest of you that received the blue impatiens seeds from England have been able to collect seeds from your plants. I've been checking my plants daily and have been able to harvest a few. Sometimes one or two ripe pods a day, sometimes none. Of my 10 seeds, 6 germinated and I was able to raise 5 plants to maturity.
Anyone else have any luck?

Thumbnail by blpender
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhh that plant is a killer. You even have to whisper its name otherwise it takes over.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Sound like what I need out back in my full shade area...how fast does it take over? My other impatiens are new, so they're not doing anything but blooming profusely.

Mike, can you recommend a site that would have these? I seem to be on a blue and fuschia streak this year with my color likes.

Thanks,
~Sunny

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Yeah its only certain varieties that take over. But try http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/ for impatien seeds.
I should have some varieties this time next year available for swaps but thats a long way off.
Also try www.jungleseeds.co.uk

Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
I also got seeds of the Tibetan blue impatiens from overseas, and raised a handful of plants. A couple went into containers, the others into the garden. The ones in pots/planter are doing the best (no root competition) and are very vigorous compared to other species impatiens. They show a lot of branching and grow rapidly. To my eye, the flowers are blue-violet, not a pure blue, but they are most unusual for an impatiens, there's nothing else like them.
Plants flowered quickly and profusely, only stopping during and shortly after our week long heat wave where we reached 100 degrees a couple of times. When heat or monsoon stressed some foliage will yellow and fall off, but they grow back fast when conditions are favorable (coolish temps). They are back in bloom as I write, more flowers than ever.
I've collected quite a bit of seed, but it requires daily checking, and sometimes the pods might be a bit immature when harvested--its hard to judge--you're basically trying to wait until the last minute before they pop!
It roots easily from cuts, and I am betting that it will be a good self sower like other himalayan impatiens species, but there is not enough experience with it stateside to say for sure yet.
Bumblebees seem to be the natural pollinators around here, but when the plants first bloomed I hand pollinated the flowers--easy to do if you know how. When impatiens flowers first open, there is a pollen cap atop the stigma (female part). Simply touch it to get pollen onto your finger. Older flowers drop the pollen cap, and a tiny five armed stigma opens up. It is now receptive, so just dab the pollen onto the stigma, and seed will be set.
Overall, I do love this plant, even if it is invasive, it would look great mixed in with our native orange and yellow impatiens species.
Hope this info helps,
Ernie

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Ernie, for all the information. I've been struck by the 'blue fever' this year late in the game. I'll look around to see if I can find some of those on the 'net. Your information was very helpful. Did you put some pics in the Plant Files so others can see these little gems? That would be awesome.

~Sunny

Thumbnail by Hineni

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.