First time nests

I have had two nest boxes in my garden for the past seven years, and they have not had much more than a spiders interst before, but this year was different, both boxes had nests in them and both reared young succesfully, i had a great tit in the bottom box, and a wren in the top box, which was a bit of a supprise to me, i really didnt expect one so close to my window, only about ten feet, so i have enjoyed watching them come and go feeding there young, the great tits left a week or so ago, and the wren just a few days ago, i missed the young leaveing the boxes both times, and i shall miss the parents coming and going, the wren had become used to me sitting here and on the patio, and would often sit within a couple of feet of me, one or two of lifes little moments, i think i will build another box this year.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Alan!
Thats great! I had a wren make a nest in my greenhouse, she half emptied a pot of gone by bulbs, lol. It was great, she really got used to me too. I have one now thats decided to make a nest in a planter that looks like a bird house, lol.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare. Watching wild life is wonderful Alan and Jody and glad you get such a kick out of it :-)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

It's always exciting watching birds nest ~ Especially when it's close to your house! I have had more birds nest here this year then any other yaer that I have lived here!! It's pretty exciting! I love to watch the parent birds take the babies to the feedres for the first time ~ It's so cute!

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Everybody;
Long past nesting season but I have a little story about my nesting house finches. I always hang a wreath on my front door for the differant seasons, so in the spring out goes my spring wreath. Well Mrs. House Finch liked it so well she decided to build her nest there. I took the nest apart everytime I opened my front door to no avale she would rebuild so I thought what the heck and let her nest there. It was so neat and hidden right behind the lilacs on the wreath. She laid five eggs and they all hatched, they where so cute, until they got to the size where they left their calling cards on the side of the nest. What a mess that was but it was worth it even the postman watched them and our friends would use the back door so they wouldn't disturb them.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Now that's what I call bringing nature to your door step!! I enjoyed your story very much :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.