Can anyone tell me what these two are?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I posted on the id thread with no response...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a better one of the lavendar one..

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I also have this one and I am iris "dumb" I do not know what "kind" of iris any of these might be...so any help would be greatly appreciated!
JanetS

Thumbnail by JanetS
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm guessing Japanese iris? I'm no expert and still have hard time differentiating if they aren't tall bearded...now, I know a tall bearded when I see it! I'm sure someone who knows better than I will post here for you.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi Janet~

Well, your first two pictures are of Siberian irises and the third one I believe to be a species iris of some sort, but I'm not sure which one.

As far as names are concerned, your second one MIGHT be PLEASURES OF MAY, but it's really hard to tell from the pictures. It could also be a few others.

Hope this helps a little bit. :0)

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Can anyone tell me what these are?

Beautiful!

I'm coming with my shovel!

Deborah

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you can give me a shot right to the center of the flower--and if its an LA (which I can't tell without a shot at the center) I can narrow it down greatly...If its blooming right now, no way is it an LA.

Also (if you can give me a pic to the center of the flower only) tell me how many years you have had it in the ground--did someone give it to you, did you buy it at megastore or from a better non-chain private nursery?

This message was edited Aug 17, 2006 5:41 PM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

dmj, they are not blooming right now. I have had them only one season, and yes someone from Dave's Garden sent them to me...I just can't find the dmail on that trade...I am afraid those are the only pics I have of them that I remember, I will check my photos and see if maybe I got some others just not on the same day and post if I did. They were just beautiful and mutltiplied very fast. Thanks for the interest! Any idea about the shorter one the third picture? It was also from a trade, that one is most likely the best picture as well.

Deborah, you are too funny, and I WILL be happy to share!

Flower, thanks so much for your help.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

dmj, the only pics I have...they were in bloom on April 25, 2006. The main reason I was trying to find out at least the type is that they are putting out quite a few seed pods and I wanted to give them away with at least the probable type, as to siberian, etc. They grew so quickly I thought someone else might really enjoy planting the seed and having them grow.
JanetS

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have to admit I didn't look at the third one--it does look like an LA. I'll come back to this thread tomorrow night (worked 12 hrs today). If you can, give me an approximate height on it--and is the color pretty true to the pic? In other words a real pale blue with no hint of purple? Let me look up two that are coming to mind real fast--neither one of which I've gotten permission to post pics for the PlantFiles of--but yet are pretty popular cultivars. Give me 10 minutes for to either confirm or elimanate those 2 choices. If its not them let me look a bit into it tomorrow night. I was able to help OnaLee ID her LA species iris. Yours looks like a cultivar, not one of the 5 species LA"S...and this is fun for me. =)
Debbie

It's got kind of a strange signal for an LA (that's the part on the what you think of as the "petals"--actually the stands and falls) as looking like really dark lines--One of the ones I was thinking is Sea Wisp (In PlantFiles) but it has a really bright yellow signal. Yours looks black which is really throwing me off--the white part of the signal is not that unusual. The style arms (the parts in the center) seem to be the exact color of the stands and falls which is kinda unuasual in the LA's--but ought to be a dead giveaway if I can find it. Let me try to find a picture that's decent of Eolian on another site.
OK--here is Eolian:
http://www.ccwaterscapes.com/Bog%20Plants/iriseolian.jpg

The style arms look the same but the Signal on Eolian is much too orange or yellow; so it can't be that one either. This may require more thought on my part--lol

Look at this too:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/119588/

But kinda the same signal problem.
The signal is really throwing me off. If you get time before I get home tomorrow night; try googling the hybridizer MacMillan and Mertzweiller...both of whom have alot of light blues. Mertzweiller has some with dark, dark signal lines and very, very pale yellow signal colors.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2006 10:15 PM

This message was edited Aug 17, 2006 10:22 PM

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

picture 3 perhaps ?
Iris Virginica

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

#3 looks like Iris tectorum to me. Especially the foliage. How tall does it get? Iris tectorum, Japanese Roof Iris is about 12-15 in.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=D580

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 9:44 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.