Plants From The Produce Section of the Grocery Store

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Plants From The Produce Section of the Grocery Store

http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/edibles/FunWithPlantsFromProduce.cfm
Some of the produce that it tells you how to grow:

Lemon Grass, Ginger, Water Chestnuts, Peppers, Tomatoes, Pineapples, Citrus, Apples,
Mango, Avocado, Potatoes, Onions, Sweet Potatoes, Peanuts, Dried Beans, Wheat, Rye, Oats,
Sunflowers, Carrots, Turnips, Rutabagas

This is an excerpt from their web page, "Popcorn and Indian corn can be used as seed to grow more. Cherries, peaches and pears can all be treated just like you would apple seeds. Pumpkins and squash are filled with seeds that can be dried and saved for next season"

Judy

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Very interesting indeed.Great...Now whenever I grow grocery shopping and see a new fruit or vegetable I will bring it home just to see if I can grow them.I think I'm gonna need a bigger house!Could be trouble!! : ) Cedar

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - there were a few things on there that I had no idea about! Thanks for the link

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much, that was very educational :)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just be aware that if you save seeds from a hybrid fruit or veggie..(most grocery store stuff) that it will _not_ produce fruit or veggies that resemble the parent.

It makes for an interseting project to grow a plant...but do so with the understanding that your harvest may not be what you expect.

The exceptions to this rule are the things that are actually rooted from the purchased plant material itself..the root veggies and the lemon grass and such. Your veggies such as the carrots and turnips will grow pretty tops...but you won't get a harvest.

Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

Just a tip if you're looking to grow peanut plants:
Throw some peanuts outside for the birds to eat, and squirrels will
grab them and bury them for you! Especially if you have a flower bed or
a potted plant anywhere in your yard!!!
The squirrels don't seem to understand that we don't get cold winters
in SoFla... I still love the mischievous buggers, no matter how many
peanut plants I find myself weeding. ;)
~Gina

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

but you will get seeds from the tops of the carrotts they are a BiAnual

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Carrots and other similar plants are 'outcrossers' they cannot produce seeds if pollinated from itself. You should have about 30 or so tops planted to produce diverse pollen in a sufficient amount to pollinate the plants to produce seeds. If you can do this, then yes, you can get seeds. Just be aware that they may not produce offspring like the parent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.