Climate Change and Natural Tree Distribution

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Trouble is, it's our ONLY beaker

and we're IN it, not looking on from the outside. I thought your "executive summary" of this troubling situation was excellent.

Guy S.

I would agree with greenjay given the water shortages out west. There are some very attractive plants that might lend themselves to higher elevations of 4500+ and wildly fluctuating temps that don't have intense moisture requirements such as Artemisia tridentata, Potentilla fruticosa, Lonicera involucrata, Ribes aureum, Cercocarpus ledifolius, and possibly Amelanchier alnifolia. Many beautiful herbaceous perennials from which to choose that do well at higher elevations and Agastache pallidiflora and Monarda fistulosa come to mind but Zinnia grandiflora, Penstemon strictus, Campanula rotundifolia, as well as Mirabilis multiflora.

I just love to quote Faith Thompson Campbell.
excerpt from here-
[HYPERLINK@www.brown.edu]

As Faith Thompson Campbell (1997) puts it, "We should be humble; we may never fully understand the invasion process, particularly for each of the hundreds of potentially invasive species in each of our many ecosystems. One truth is clear: as time passes, many species will spread to new areas or increase in density if controlling actions are delayed."(Parker and Reichard 1998; see Results for the industry's desire for scientific proof)."

I would agree that we've only got one beaker.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.