Banana seeds

Citra, FL

Can anyone give me a banana seed primer? How does one collect seeds from a banana? Do they bloom true, or are the seeds a hybrid? Are they difficult to grow? If one would purchase seeds off of, say, eBay, could you expect to be able to grow a plant from them? How long to they take to germinate? Thanks.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm hoping some of the real experts chime in here. I've tried to germinate plaintain seeds - both an Eucador and Guatemela variety - without success. I'd like to try growing the variegated Aeae which I see seeds offered on eBay. I'm leery about variegation coming through seed and my own ability to germinate them.

There are a lot of articles on the net on growing banana from seed but they haven't helped me.
Dave.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I have gotten seeds off ebay and they germinated
eventually the one actually bloomed and had nanas.....not an easy thing up here in the snow belt

but it was not the varitey I had bought.... not that it made a big differnce to me

I had just put them in potting soil and under lights

It was YEARS ago and no way do I know who I got them from

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Houston,Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

does anyone grow tropical fruit in Houston? I realize this a new topic, and not a reply to someones message, but I don't know yet how to post a new topic message I would love to correspond with someone from this area

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.