A face only a mother could love...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

...or dybbuk. I only say that because he's such a huge fan of the off-color.

And this is about as off-color (and just plain wrong, in the combination) as I can imagine a shrub can get!

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here's a whole plant shot of the poor waif...

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

They aren't THAT ugly--I think more shade is better. Here are mine:

This message was edited Aug 15, 2006 7:23 PM

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

...and the other....

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I am sure you would agree that THIS is ugly!

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

...and in the name of randomness, this is beautiful, a heron in a spruce. He perched there for about 30 minutes till the Cooper Hawk gang ran him off

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Great shot of the heron!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
I am sure you would agree that THIS is ugly!

HEY!!!
Kneevin is about to have his purdy knees busted with a ball bat!

Guy S.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Guy, this is EAB country, Ash wood galore available for bat making. Bring on your attack! Do you recognize that little tree? That's the turbo-growth Swamp White I showed you.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yep -- it seems to like it there among all those inferior viburnums!

Guy S.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Kneevin, yeah this is EAB country but they need to set up the milling operations here within the EAB area so we don't ship out infested wood to Louisville. Maybe we can start a new business called Elburn Slugger and sell bats from autumn purple white ash trees that we get for free from the Chicagoland area.

Bill

THAT just rolls off the tongue: Elburn Slugger...

Can I get one with Babe McKenna's autograph? Or Willis Mays?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I played a mean 2nd base in high school.

Bill McKenna

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I was always stuck out in far right field without a glove.

Or a clue.

Denver, CO

I didn't play sports lest the other kids make fun of me...

Actually, I organized Wall-ball tournaments after growing tired of beating everyone at it.
Latin name of the Viburnum abovepictured, if any of you gents will say?

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

It's a variegated V. lantana

Denver, CO

Thanks.

Denver, CO

-And PF could use some more pictures. If it's a specific cvr, an entry could be made.
Just my one and-a-half sense.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Cents. You have a LOT more "sense" than that!

Denver, CO

There are no flies on thee, quickie.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I found an ugly.

Thumbnail by growin
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, that's awful alright, but it's better than any Abies lasiocarpa I'm able to grow here! Tried several times, but they wimp out in our summers.

Now, if you REALLY want to see an ugly, sit down, have your barf-bag handy, and look at THIS! Any guesses about what sorry-looking species it might be?
Hee-hee-hee!

Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
Eau Claire, WI

Its gotta be a Viburnum, but I'm just not sure which one. Could it be that unusual species that Kneevin speaks so fondly of? You know, the one with hair. ;)

Quoting:
There are no flies on thee, quickie.
Oh my word! That was a good comeback!

Someone just asked me to identify the "ugly thing" posted in this thread.

Tee he... the ugly thing is Viburnum lantana var. variegatum. Blech!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Bob, you just might be onto something there!!!
Truly a face only a mother could luv!
Hee-hee-hee!!!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
the ugly thing is Viburnum lantana var. variegatum

No, we already knew that. We're talking about the OTHER big ugly thing, in the plaid shirt!

Oh, you want an ID on that plant in front of V V? I have no idea. Enlarge the photo a little bit for me. I can certainly see it is an extremely ugly plant but I haven't a clue as to what it might be.

Denver, CO

The companion plant to the Homo sapiens var. pogonissima;
Ficus elastica? er- Magnolia grandiflora? Phalaenopsis? And that is just without my spectacles.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh yea, that's Viburnum harryanum--easy ID.

JamesCO:

My initial two photos are Viburnum lantana 'Holden Golden'.

Kneevin has erred in his ID of the last posted photo. V. harryanum (named for the preeminent Sir Harry Veitch) is a diminutive glabrous species that hails from China, not to mention that it's foliage is evergreen, whorled, and has no fall color. There's no east Asian attributes evident in that picture.

I believe the illustrious specimen shown is likely a select seedling spawned from Viburnum longipedunculatum or Viburnum amplificatum, possibly ssp. hypocrateriformis or f. tomentosum. The "plaid" color evident in the February photograph above is either a fine representation of extended fall color (only one of many extraordinary landscape attributes of this species) or a temporary environmental reaction to transplantation to a rather IL-suited climate.

Here's an image from KY, where this specimen was originally raised.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2006 9:13 AM

Quoting:
a temporary environmental reaction to transplantation to a rather IL-suited climate.
Ouch!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Now THAT's what I call a good sport! Clever, too!

Denver, CO

Brilliant.
I like the species more than I used to, knowing something about it. Any allelopathic tendencies we should know about?

Amazingly profuse and precocious, this one has bad knees so it doesn't travel too far nor too rapidly. You could catch it before it got away from you.

Standing above most others (Guy excluded), it tends to crowd out competing species trying to occupy the same ecological niche (DG forums, wine tastings, etc.).

Or were you asking about the Viburnum?

Oh my, I don't believe Viburnum longipedunculatum x V. amplificatum has any allelopathic traits at all.

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

I gotta say you could have knocked me over with a feather at this pic of our VV. I don't know where I got the idea, but I thought VV was an elderly retired gentleman, white hair, glasses, slightly stooped, with a warm smile and twinkling eyes. You know, grandfatherly type. Funny how we picture people in our minds. Guy is right, more of us should add pictures to our info page.

I got the warm smile right. You're a handsome rascal, VV!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Mmmm Homo erectus hursutus, soon to be Mortus Moribundus looking at the age of the specimen.
Will have to drop the hursutus if we get the hair wax out to that facial fungus.
Hehehe

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
I thought VV was an elderly retired gentleman, white hair, glasses, slightly stooped

Well, you were right -- those photos were taken during the Korean War!

Guy S.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

The one in plaid looks a little older and wiser. Something about the flannel and the salt & pepper in the beard. Looks like you got a fan club starting in NJ.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.