Propagating Mandeville

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

A friend of the family is crazy about my Mandeville, so I thought I would surprise him with some. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to propagate this vine? I do not see anything that resembles a seed or seed pod, so am assuming its by cuttings.

Thanks for advance for the help!

Rhonda

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I have propagated it very easily from cuttings. Treat them the same way as fuchsia. They are also easy layering if you have some branches close to the soil.
I grow mandevilla laxa, its hardy to 15 degrees and has a white flower that is very fragrant, they do put on a pod and the seed is easy to germinate, but you will get flowers faster from cuttings.
Rebecca

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I haven't had any luck propagating Mandevilla laxa from cuttings as the stems are so thin. I wish mine produced seed.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Mine is flowering now. If you remind me in winter or so would be happy to send you a bunch of fresh seed. The seed pods are long and have hundreds of seeds in them, will be happy to share.
rebecca

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Does anyone have a pic of what the seeds or seed pods look like?

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

I have tried to find one also, geeman.....with no luck.

Rebeccanne, I would love some seeds, my big problem will be remembering! I can just see me now...TRYING to remember WHO in the world told me they had those mandeville seeds.......lol ! Mine has tons of flowers on it......but I see nothing that looks like it would be seeds. Are the pods totally seperate from the blooms? And do some of them just not have seed pods like growin mentioned?

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

If you have flowers, you will get pods. They are very long and thin, 6-8 inches long usually. The pod will split and then you have 2, let them dry out and turn brown, then pick them. The seeds have "feathers" on them and are black or dark brown. Its easy to miss the pods but once you see them you will be surprised you could miss them. Just keep an eye on them after they finish flowering, the pods will come. Its surprising because you just don't expect it to put on a pod. I may have some seeds from last year, I am going out of town but will look next week when I come back. They should be fine as I do refrigerate them, if I have them. Probably do. Will post if I do and happy to share.
Rebecca

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Maybe I havent seen pods since they are still blooming like crazy. I went out and looked today (twice in fact!) to see if I could see a pod like you described. I will keep looking. Thanks for the information! Everyday I learn something new on these forums...I love that! I think of all my gardening tools, these has been the money most well spent!

Rhonda

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Rebeccanne,

You are so right .....I finally saw them and I was thinking "good grief, how in the world did I miss that??" I have pods!

GeeMan, read Rebeccanne's post description....she was RIGHT on the money!

Rhonda

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thanks, I'll look again

Gordon

Melbourne Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

lub2dig, since everyone had such trouble finding a pic of the seed pods you might want to take one and post it here on DG.

Now you all have me wondering if mine has pods!! I'm going out to look....

-- Vicky

I've grown Mandevilla for several years, and was just astounded to learn of the seed pods!!!
I am so anal about checking every inch of each of the hundreds of different plants that I have, that I am surprised I never saw any of these pods.
Do they have to be a certain age before they set pods? Or is it just certain varieties that set pods?
I am in zone 5, so just grow them outdoors(pot buried in the ground, in full sun), from mid June through mid October. Do you think my season is not long enough for them to set pods? This year, for the first time, I will have my plant room lighted properly, indoors, so I'm going to try over wintering my mandevilla. Any tips I should know about this.
My DH has designed 40 ft of beautiful shelving, with adjustable 4-bulb flourescent light fixtures above each one. the shelves are also adjustable from floor to ceiling. We had the shelves stripped and painted by our car dealership, to match the decor in my plant room/office combo.
Can't tell you how excited I am, to finally get this project completed. I've seen it put on a "back burner" for the last 10 years! Wish me luck!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've gotten seedpods on M. laxa but not on 'Alice Dupont'. Since M. laxa is a species, it'll come true from seed but the more common mandevillas are hybrid cultivars and wouldn't come true from seed even if they did make seedpods. Sometimes hybrids (at least of other plants, don't know about Mandevilla) tend to be sterile or at least not as prolific with seeds as straight species

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have been thinking about buying one of these. i have seen them in my local nursery; although, it is probably another type of mandeville (as ecrane has mentioned).

Is this the correct plant? http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/62998/

It may be too late in the season to purchase one so I would be interested in the seeds if you could give me instructions.

Deanna, is yours rootbound by October? how big of a pot do you have it in?
Thanks,
Linda

Linda,
The white Mandevilla is beautiful, but not the variety I have. I checked out Plantfiles and Mandevilla Diplodenia appears to be what I have.
My blooms open a light pink, then ripen to a deep pink, before they abort.
The plant is in a 10" grower pot, buried to the rim.
I have tried them planted directly in the ground, but when I do that, I have fabulous lush greenery, but hardly any blooms, until very late in the season.
Since I've started burying the pot, I have lots of blooms, continuously until frost.
I've spent quite a bit of time online searching for verification of my thoughts on this, and haven't found any-so I can only share my personal observations and notes(over the last 12 years). All I can say is that in my zone, in my soil, and planting location-this is what works for me.
Deanna
Oops, almost fort your question about being rootbound. Yes, it is nicely rootbound by early October.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I will see if I can get one locally.
How have you overwintered them? I do not have the plant room that you have. I have a cellar (40-50 degrees) with a fluorescent light about 2 feet over them. Linda

Linda, here's some good info about overwintering that I found online. I have not previously overwintered them-just left in the ground and let the Frost take them-as I had no good place in the house for thPropagation
Propagate from hardwood cuttings. Sprinkle single node cuttings with rooting hormone and growth should commence in a month or so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mandevilla
Known for its showy flowers, the genus Mandevilla includes plants that were formerly called Dipladenia. There are about 100 species of this tropical American woody vine. Most species overwinter only in the tropical South. In South Carolina they can be treated as annuals or grown indoors. They can be brought indoors before the first freeze and treated as a houseplant during the winter months. In the spring, mandevilla can be returned outside after the last spring freeze or after the threat of freezing weather has passed. Mandevilla is great trellised in containers or in hanging baskets.
Quantities of fragrant flowers compensate for sparse foliage and for the care mandevillas require. The flowers are produced in early summer and again in early fall, even when plants are very young.

HOW TO GROW MANDEVILLA
Indoors, mandevillas need curtain-filtered or bright indirect sunlight. Provide night temperatures of 60 to 65 ° F and day temperatures above 70 ° F. Plant in a mixture of equal parts peat moss, potting mix and builder’s sand. In spring and summer, feed every two weeks with a fertilizer high in phosphorus such as 10-20-10.
Outdoors, grow mandevillas in partial shade. They need rich, well-drained, sandy soil with humus added. Provide a frame, trellis or stake for support. Pinch young plants to induce bushiness.

Since 45 to 50 ° F is the minimum temperature that can be tolerated by mandevilla, plants should be moved indoors for the winter. Before bringing them indoors, examine them carefully for pests. Look under the leaves, in the leaf axils, and in every conceivable nook and cranny for insects and their eggs. Remove any diseased or dead leaves by hand. Insect-infested plants can be doused with a forceful spray of water to dislodge the pests, or you can use insecticidal soaps or other appropriate insecticides labelled for use on your plant. You may have to prune some of the plant to compensate for any root loss.

Move the plants to a lighted location where the temperature is above 45 to 50 ° F. Reduce the frequency of watering to coincide with the plants’ rest periods induced by the cooler temperatures and reduced light.

In late winter or early spring before growth begins, prune by removing old, crowded stems and shortening others. Even if mandevilla is pruned almost to the ground, it will bloom the same summer on the new shoots, which develop from the base of the plants.

SPECIES
Mandevilla ‘Alice du Pont’ is a woody, twining evergreen vine. It grows to a height of 20 feet but is much shorter when grown in a container. The leaves are dark green, glossy, oval and 3 to 8 inches long. Clusters of pure pink, flared, trumpet-shaped, 2- to 4- inch flowers appear among the leaves, spring through fall. Even very small plants in 4-inch pots will bloom. This cultivar grows well in hanging baskets. Pinch off tips of new stems to induce dense growth.
Mandevilla ‘Laxa’ or Chilean jasmine (although it is native to Argentina) is a climbing, woody, deciduous vine. It grows to 15 feet. Leaves are opposite, oblong or heart-shaped at the base. They are 2 to 6 inches long, thin and dark green with gray-green undersides. Clustered summer flowers are white, 2 inches across and trumpet-shaped with a powerful gardenia-like fragrance. Provide rich soil. If the plant becomes badly tangled, cut it to the ground in winter. It will bloom on the new growth. Roots are hardy to about 5 ° F.

Mandevilla ‘Splendens’ is an evergreen similar to ‘Alice du Pont’, with the same bloom period. The leaves are narrow, pointed and 3 to 8 inches long. The trumpet-shaped flowers are 2 to 4 inches across, pale pink when they open, with rose-pink eyes. As the flowers age, their color deepens to rose. The stems of M. ‘Splendens’ reach 10 to 15 feet in length.

CULTIVARS
‘Red Riding Hood’ has deep red flowers.
‘Summer Snow’ has sparkling white 3- to 4- inch flowers against dark glossy foliage.
‘Yellow’ has wide, bright yellow flowers. They are lower growing and shrubbier than the species and superb in hanging baskets.
PROBLEMS
The most common pests are mealybugs, scales, whiteflies and red spider mites.
em.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I bought one at Lowe's. It did not give the botanical name so i am not sure of the variety. Since it is late in the season I just potted it within another container along the trellis area. It had 3 vines with white flowers/buds on each. There was a tinge of pink on one of them. The label showed white and pink. Anyone know if it will go from pink to white?
Linda

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I have never really liked mandevilla. Years ago I never could keep one alive so I gave up. This year I saw "Red Riding Hood" and snatched it up. My eyes popped out of my head. That red is gorgeous. I have 3 2 are mine and one is a gift for someone and I saw alot more at Lowe's and almost bought another as I really love that color. Crazy aren't I? But that Red I have never seen on another flower.

I bet 2 red with a white in the middle would be absolutely gorgeous.

Does anyone know if the red is easy to root cuttings?

Thanks for the information I have gotten on here already.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 3b)

Hi, I.m not sure I've really learned how to propagate my mandevilas, as nothing sounds too positive. I hate to lose them over the winter ( a white, and a yellow), but I don't have a lot of room inside for the whole large plants, so would like to start up a few new young ones. I have not observed any seed pods on my plant, and I'm not terribly knowledgeable about propagation??!! I guess I'll just try to take a few cuttings, and stick them in a pot, and hope they root and grow. If anyone has some good, clear instructions for me, I'd be very appreciative.
Kenparks (Ed)

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a mandevilla "Red Riding Hood" tendril sitting in water and it's still alive after 7 days. I just looked at it - not rooting yet but it's still green, soft and healthy. The 2' piece fell off while planting it last week. I hope it lives!

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Robin....be sure to let us know how that does. I was curious if you could root them in water.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Will do. Hope it's soon!

If anyone knows about rubber tree propagation, please direct me to the correct forum or Dmail me please? My neighbor across the street has a HUGE one in her front breezway that she wants to hack back and toss. I told her oh NO you don't! Hehehe.

I've read of hardwood, root hormone, plastic bag, etc. I'm the type that hey, if I can plop it in water, I want it.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2006 3:38 PM

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Put a new thread in this forum asking, Robin.....these folks know everything!! I think they could tell you how to propagate a rubber ball if needed.....lol!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by azrobin
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I' ve got some cuttings in water. Here's a good link that can apply to alot of cuttings, not just mandevilla. I wasn't aware that plant cuttings in water put off a rooting hormone into the water. That's why it's better to use small containers so that the hormone will be more concentrated.

http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/prop.htm

Deborah

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, great idea. It did give off a milky splash when I put in the glass.

Orlando, FL

Rebeccanne,
I would love to have some of your seeds if you could spare any. I bought a white one at lowes and the darn thing died right off the bat. It didnt look too good in the beginning so took i t back and got my money back. Can I email you when the seeds are ready. You might like to try dwarf Poinciana. They bloom all summer. The white mandeville is hard to find her. Do the dipadenia also seed? Fran

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I have never seen seed on any except the mandevilla laxa. I have 2 nice pods forming now, should be ready soon. And I WILL look and see if I have seed left from last year. They have been refrigerated so should be fine.
Rebecca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.