Aconitums

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I love Monkshood! I'm not even sure what I have anymore.

I planted Aconitum cammarum, carmichaelii and x bicolor.

Both bloom at the end of September. One has large blooms and one small. I think one blooms so late the frost kills it first. I finally have them on the east, mulched for the first time, and made sure they got enough water. They get sun in the morn and late afternoon shade. I've been so busy I haven't had time to take a good look at them.

I'm glad you started this thread!!!

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Loon

Aconitums don't like being moved and do take time to settle in, up to three years in some cases.

I do not think that there is a weed that looks like them but I may be wrong. Let them flower to make sure and if they are a weed please post a photo so I can add it to my database.

Steve

billyporter

If you want any IDed post a pic of the flower and leaves and do a brief description. ie: height, position etc.

Have started a thread on the 'vines and climbers' forum also for the climbing species.

Steve

Beachwood, OH

There are some wild buttercups that have a leaf very similar to aconitum. Some of the cultivated Trollius also. But Aconitum has a distinctive tall stem - at least mine do. The wild buttercups invade my garden and are maybe 2-6 " high and spread by runners.

Glad you started this thread - I am not that versed with Aconitum but I really love that burst of blue this time of year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I will. Mine started under walnut trees and blighted. I salvaged them and moved them to the sunny garden. Too much sun, not enough water and they got swallowed by surrounding plants. Now they are in a better bed I hope. I just planted them there last fall, so I have high hopes.

Thank you for the wild buttercups and Trollius info, I knew someone would know.

Walnut trees are one of the bad guys for Aconitums as they secrete something into the soil from their roots. You did the right thing in moving them. Try growing one in a container on the patio. I tried A. Fischeri (syn A. Carmichaelii) as a trial three years ago and you will be surprised at the results. It blooms earlier and it grows taller due to the roots being restricted. If you try this put a covering of small stones, bark chippings etc on top of compost to keep it moist. I have under planted with cyclamen for added color around the stems.

Steve

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 8:28 AM

The RHS at Wisley are doing a trial of Aconitums next year. I have been invited to enter some of mine. That was a while back, and we have just come back from taking 3 plants of A. Fischeri there. They have been planted in one of the trial beds and the trial will begin summer/fall 2007. The woman in charge said she will give us a tour of the trials when they start.

If you are in the area and want a good day out then Wisley is a good choice. RHS members are admitted free and non-members it costs £7.50 thats about US$15 CA$16

Steve

Beachwood, OH

Steve - can you give a description of the growing conditions that aconitums favor? I've had A. fisherii in heavy clay but set up high and it multiplied pretty well. Now I have it in a moist more amended location in part sun. It has not multiplied so well and I'm thinking its too crowded and damp. Its blooming but I just saw that I'm losing a stalk.

What diseases are aconitum susceptible to? I ask because my location is in the woods and I often fight soil-borne diseases from the cool dampness and lack of air circulation. If I could remove more trees I would but it's not possible - too long to write about now.

Thanks and I'm so pleased that you've been asked to participate in the trials with RHS - what an honor.

Hi alyrics

A lot of Aconitums prefer moist, free draining soil, but some like clay. It all depends on the variety.
A. Henryii usually likes clay. A. Fischeri likes a more loam based soil. Partial shade is the normal position but I prefer the back of the border near a fence so that they get a little shade.

Is it a big clump? If it is, split it (wear gloves) and replant one bit back in the clay seeing it liked it there. You could try moving it so its more in the sun.
I find every plant will tell you where they are happiest and it sounds like yours like the clay. If you are that concerned, try planting in a large container, that way you can control the conditions.

The photo below is of my A. Fischeri growing happily in a container. It is about 5' tall and in full bloom now, where the ones in the garden under a sycamore in free draining soil are only 3' and only just showing flower buds.

Aconitums are pretty hardy plants and there are not many diseases that they are susceptible to. I think that yours may be getting a bit too cool in the trees and that might be causing them to blacken off. Normally mine blacken off when they have set seed. Sometimes it takes a couple of years to settle in in a new location so if it was me I'd split and replant half in the clay again and half where thy are now and leave them for a year or two and see how they are doing.

Steve

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Everytime I look at this thread I am green with envy. Love that Fischeri, Steve.

Beachwood, OH

Hi Steve - yes that's the plant I have - gorgeous blue isn't it? Mine is just blooming and today its pouring rain or I'd go snap a pic. Mine is very old - came from a deceased great-aunt's garden some 20 years ago to another family member who shared it with me 6 years ago.

Here you are Vi

The smaller ones in the front of the photo are the ones I pinched the growing tips out of.

Took this one today, Getting any greener? lol

Steve

Thumbnail by Veshengo

That is not funny Steve but it is absolutely stunning.

Vi

Vi

Am going to ask for an Aconitum forum to be started. What do you think? Good idea? Worried that there might not be enough interest

Steve

Sure don't hurt to ask and see what response you get, you know I will vote for one.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sigh, I am so doing something wrong. The tallest mine ever got was the short side of 3'.

I'm very very green too! I can't believe you grow them in a small tub. Have you always? It's magnificent!!!

I applaud your Aunt for her interest in a different kind of plant. I planted my first one in 1992, then 1994, and in 1995. Only one in Nichols who has it. I was in my ''true blue phase.''

I first planted them in a tub because we were moving and it was the only one I had left, so in it went.

Last year I took them all out and replaced the compost and planted 1 tuber in the center of the tub. It bloomed so well last year that I decided to keep it there and do a trial to see how long I can keep it alive. I have under planted with cyclamen (seeds given to me by my father. Variety unknown) to give a bit of low down color.

Steve

Detail of the stems with the cyclamen flowering

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I love cyclamens too!

What is your winter like? How do you overwinter the tub?

Sally

2004-2005 was a bad one. 45 minute drive home from work took 5 and half hours. Snow everywhere.
2005-2006 Cold but bearable. No snow but frosts -6C lowest.

The tub is left where it is. If it does get to cold I might move it under the car port for a bit of protection. I believe a plant will adapt to its surroundings, given time.

The following photo is of A. Fischeri in the front garden. Full sun with a bit of shade from surrounding plants. Temperature is HOT 36C at the moment. Sun heats the wall and reflects the heat. Didn't water it during our drought. Still healthy but stunted with no flowers. Leaf tips are going a bit black, that is due to the heat. This is another trial of mine to see if it will survive the heat.

Steve

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I see the leaves in your last photo are a bit yellow.(Unless it's the sunlight.) Mine do that too. We had an ideal year weatherwise. I mulched and kept mine watered, but we also had wonderful soaking rains. They are small and I'm seeing buds now. We'll have an early October frost, so I hope to see them bloom. Good thing is, they're small enough to cover with a 5 gallon bucket if it frosts too soon. They are on the east, and in front of the arborvitae. Alas, they are also on the dripline of another walnut tree. This photo is from early spring. I don't think they were even mulched. I also have Monkey Flower in between them. I don't have a camera right now. I'll have to post when we get a new one.

Thumbnail by billyporter

The yellow is the sunlight. Its very bright against the wall. If it was in the shade more of the time the leaves would be a darker green. When mine die back I usually mulch with bark chippings that I get from our local garden centre. This does help against all but the hardest of frosts.

Look forward to seeing a photo of them.

Note: This is the 100th post on this thread.

Steve

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, but look at all the views!

A. Carmichaelii 'Barkers Variety'.

Note how the blooms droop until they are open, then the stem becomes more upright.

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I just got a new camera, so this is a practice shot. The stems fell over, so it's almost blooming at ground level. It has huge blooms and I love it!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The drooping blooms is a good observation. I didn't know they did that.

Heres something different. These I have collected over the years from various web sites and books. I have shortened and edited parts to make it easier to read. When complete my book will include a whole chapter on this subject.

Myths and Legends:

The derivation of aconite's name is a matter of some dispute. Some think that the generic name is derived from the Greek 'Akontion' meaning 'Dart', referring to the fact that this plant once provided poison for the arrows of some tribes. Others believe it comes from the word 'akone' which means 'cliffy' or 'rocky', one of the plant's favorite habitats. Another possibility is that the name commemorates the hill Aconitus in Pontica, where Herakles (Hercules) fought with Cerberus, guardian of the Underworld. Hecate is said to have created it from the spittle from Cerberus's mouth. The specific name 'napellus' means 'little turnip', and refers to the shape of the root.

There are many legendary accounts of aconite being used as a poison. In Greek myth Medea is said to have used aconite to take revenge on Theseus after he deserted her, poisoning his cup. Alexander the Great was the target of a plot where he was to be poisoned by kissing a woman who had saturated herself with a lethal dose taken in small quantities over a long period. However the plot was foiled by Aristotle. Pope Adrian VI was murdered with it and the prophet Mohamed is said to have narrowly escaped death by giving away a piece of meat which had been poisoned with aconite. The deaths of Claudius and his son Britannicus are both attributed to aconite. Monkshood is believed to have been a popular poison amongst the medieval clergy whose career advancement usually depended on the timely death of a superior.

Aconite was also believed to be one of the constituents of the potion given to the old and infirm on the island of Ceos. This was to facilitate their departure from the world where they were no longer useful. It was often used as a ritual cup at the time of death, and dispensed for euthanasia. It was also used in incenses at the time of burial, and planted on the grave.

Aconite was grown in monastery hardens where it was used in the treatment of rheumatism in the form of an external oil rub. The common name of monkshood comes from the resemblance of the flowers to monk's cowls. (As mentioned in the Ellis Peters book 'Monks Hood' about a Benedictine Monk named Cadfael)

In Christian lore it was dedicated to St. Dunstan, the archbishop of Canterbury who was said to have held the devil's nose in red hot pincers until he promised never to tempt him again. The saint, born in Glastonbury in 924AD, dreamed one night of a huge tree whose branches stretched all over Britain. The branches were covered with monk's cowls. He saw this as a vision of Britain of the future, totally Christian and presumably dominated by the clergy.

Aconite was the potion which turned Arachne from girl to Spider. This was effected by the Goddess Athena after being defeated by Arache at a contest of weaving.

Virgil also mentions Aconite in his Georgics. Perhaps he refers to thick root has occasionally (and fatally) been mistaken for horseradish.

Medea used Aconite in a poison cup for Theseus.

The Roman Emperor Trajan made the growing of it punishable by death.

It was used in the 13th and 14th century as a poison bait for wolves, possibly where it gets its' name 'wolfsbane', although this may be because arrows used in wolf hunting were tipped with it. It is also said to cure werewolves.

Aconite is widely associated with witchcraft, medieval witches were reputed to have used chips of flint coated in the plant extract to throw at intended victims. The victims would probably not notice anything at the time, except a scratch, but would shortly become ill and die. These darts were known as 'elf-bolts'.

This next bit follows on from the last statement about Witchcraft.

Magical uses:

Aconite is a traditional ingredient of the 'flying ointment', though this is as likely to kill you as take you flying. The dose needed to achieve the hallucinogenic effect falls within the lethal limit.

Some irresponsible and ignorant books suggest its' use by preparing a tincture and dipping a cigarette into it as a smoke, or even preparing an infusion and drinking it. These people have obviously never tried it, or they wouldn't be around to write such nonsense.

Aconite has many connections with the underworld and death for obvious reasons. The leaves may be carefully used in incenses for funeral rites, but again, this is not recommended and there are other funeral herbs available that will not send you to the same place as the deceased. The leaves may be used to invoke Hecate in an incense, but this is not recommended.

Steve

Below is a wood block print depicting the battle with Cerberus.

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Athens, OH

Steve-
What interesting info!
Great post.
ROX

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That's a lot of stories for a plant. Guess we aren't the only ones fascinated by it!

I thought I would post a list of my Aconitums

1 A. 'Blue Septre'
2 A. 'Bressingham Spire' syn. A. Napellus 'Bressingham Spire'
3 A. 'Ivorine'
4 A. 'Sparks Variety'
5 A. 'Stainless Steel'
6 A. Bartletii
7 A. Cammarum 'Bicolour'
8 A. Cammarum 'Gletschereis'
9 A. Carmichaelii syn. A. Carmichaeli Wilsonii
10 A. Carmichaelii 'Arendsii'
11 A. Carmichaelii 'Barkers Variety'
12 A. Carmichaelii 'Pink Sensation'
13 A. Carmichaelii 'Spätlese'
14 A. Carmichaelii Wilsonii Group 'Spätlese'
15 A. Elliotii
16 A. Ferox syn. A. Virorum
17 A. Fischerii syn. A. Carmichaelii
18 A. Grosse-dentatum
19 A. Hemsleyanum
20 A. Henryi
21 A. Henryi 'Spark's Variety' syn. A. 'Spark's Variety'
22 A. Lamarkii
23 A. Lycoctonum subsp. Neapolitanum syn. A. Lamarckii, A. Pyrenaicum
24 A. Lycoctonum subsp. Vulparia syn. A. Orientale
25 A. Napellus 'Bergfürst' syn. A. Napellus subsp. lobelianum
26 A. Napellus 'Blue Valley'
27 A. Napellus 'Rubellum'
28 A. Napellus 'Albidium' syn. A. Napellus 'Album'
29 A. Napellus 'Album'
30 A. Napellus 'Blue'
31 A. Napellus Vulgaré 'Albidium' syn. A. Napellus 'Album'
32 A. Septentrionale `Ivorine'
33 A. x Bicolor 'Ivory White'
34 A. Yamazaki

4&21 Same plant availabe under both names
13&14 Same plant availabe under both names
28,29&31 Same plant availabe under all three names

Until I compiled this list I didn't know how many I actually had. I thought I only had 26.

Steve

This message was edited Oct 5, 2006 7:50 AM

Athens, OH

Very jealous. I think I will keep this as my new "want" list for aconitum!
ROX

(Zone 5a)

wow! That is an impressive list! I see a few on there I wouldn't mind having ;-)

As you can see, there are a number that have synonyms (known under a different name) and if you take that into consideration there are not that many available. It also makes it a bit confusing. Say, for example, you wanted to buy a white Aconitum. You have a choice of the following.

Aconitum Napellus 'Albidium',
Aconitum Napellus 'Album',
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulgare 'Albidium',
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulgare 'Album'.
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulparia 'Albidium',
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulparia 'Album'.

There are many more, but this is just an example. Which do you choose? Do you buy all six? Unless you know, many would but at least two thinking they were different. But in reality they are all the same plant.

The photo below shows what I mean. Some companies choose to place two or three names on their tags. You will also see the info that this company puts on their tags.

Steve

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow Steve! I didn't know there were that many varieties! ''My Perennials Volume 2 Late Perenials'' book by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix only lists seven.

A x cammarum: bicolor and white
compactum: ''Carneum'' pale pink
henryi: ''Sparks Variety'' purple
japonicum: purple
laeve: white to pale yellow, or, pinkish purple
lamarkii: yellow
leucostomum: smoky lilac or pinkish
septentrionale: ''Ivorine'' white, or otherwise dark violet

Those 34 Aconitums are the ones that I have at the moment. My list of cultivars including synonyms, subsp. and cultivars number nearly 2 thousand. Specific species , not including subsp., varieties and cultivars is about, there are about 900.

Steve

A lot of the lists in books they only put in the types they know of. ''My Perennials Volume 2 Late Perennials'' book by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix may list only seven because they were probably the only ones they knew of or the only ones they grew.

If people wish I could post a list of all Aconitums that I have on my full list. Must warn you that it is VERY long and I am continuously updating it and adding to it.

Steve

A. Fischeri showing the second flush of flowers on the main stem. The first flush has gone to seed and will be ready to collect in about three to four weeks.

Thumbnail by Veshengo
(Zone 5a)

Steve that is soooo pretty - I just love the color of that one!

Steve, remember me when it comes to those fischeri seeds.

Athens, OH

Well the Aconitum japonicum var. hakonense ? just started blooming yesterday and tonight we are going to get a freeze (30F).

Very bummed!

ROX

(Zone 5a)

ROX I know how you feel - that happens almost every fall here - although not this fall ... it's been unbelievably warm. Still 30F is pretty mild so maybe there won't be any damage ... we've had two mild frosts without any real damage so far :-) We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Athens, OH

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. If they make it through tonight, they should have at least a week without a freeze.
ROX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.