Aconitums

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Im starting this because of my facination for Aconitums.

I have over 20 different cultivars/varieties and I am getting together a list of all or as many named cultivars/varieties and descriptions.

If anybody has any problems with their own I will try to help if I can.

The aim is to writh a book on them and a web site dedicated to them.
If anybody does it before me I will rip off their arm and beat them with the soggy end ;oP

I have also posted this on the Canadian Gardening forum.

Steve

This message was edited Aug 14, 2006 8:18 PM

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, maybe the Perennial forum would be a better place to post this.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/perennials/all/

Athens, OH

I love aconitum!
But they are hard to grow in Ohio.
I have this one that seems to do well every year. It blooms just before the first frost (beg. Oct.).
Would you happen to know which it is? It is about 4 feet tall.

ROX

Thumbnail by rox_male
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

rox! That is gorgeous! To tell the truth~ I had no idea that there was such a beauty. Yea...I'm new at this & learning new things every day. Thanx for helping boost my edu.

Hi Rox.

Lovely clear picture, I will do my best.

This could be A. Napellus or one of its subspecies. Can you post a picture of the leaves as it will help narrow it down?

Have found a picture in my collection. Its not one of my photos and I cannot remember where I got it from. (Will edit this if I find the photographers name. Sorry)

This might be it.
Aconitum Hakonense, the flowers and leaves are almost identical with yours

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi Steve, why don't you post pictures of all those beautiful ones you have. I know many people would enjoy seeing those.

Vi

Hi Vi.

Good idea. I'll start with this one.

This is known an can be bought under the following names but it is all the same plant.

Aconitum Napellus 'Albidium',
Aconitum Napellus 'Album',
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulgare 'Albidium',
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulgare 'Album'.
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulparia 'Albidium',
Aconitum Napellus subsp. Vulparia 'Album'.

Thumbnail by Veshengo

One of my favourites

Aconitum Cammarum 'Bicolor'.

Thumbnail by Veshengo

Aconitum Carmichaelii 'Pink Sensation'.

Thumbnail by Veshengo

This is my wifes favourite

Aconitum 'Stainless Steel',
Aconitum Cammarum 'Stainless Steel',

Thumbnail by Veshengo

Aconitum Septentrionale 'Ivorine'.

Thumbnail by Veshengo

Aconitum 'Sparks Variety',
Aconitum Henryii 'Sparks Variety',
Aconitum Napellus 'Sparks Variety',

Thumbnail by Veshengo

This is a good one for growing in a tub/planter/half barrel/bucket

Aconitum Fischeri

Thumbnail by Veshengo

Steve, they are all beautiful, I haven't seen your photo of the Aconitum Fischeri before, what a knockout that one is. just super.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

WOW! I'm blown away!. These are gorgeous!

Athens, OH

How hard is it to grow aconitum from seed?
Any hints?
Any seeds to share?

I will post the image of the leaves of my plant this afternoon.
ROX

Hi Rox

It can be hard but depends what zone you are in. I tried for 7 years to grow from seed until I saw a seedling growing under our Camellia. It was the seed tray compost from the previous years attempt.
The way I grow from seed now: I have a small raised bed under our Sycamore tree, so it gets some shade in the summer, and I scatter the seed (must be fresh, no older than last years.) on the soil/compost mix and cover with netting (stops the cats from it as a toilet) and leave to germinate. This can be from as little as 4 weeks up to if not longer than a year.

With growing from seed you cannot 100% guarantee that the plants will come true to the parent. You might get lucky and get a new hybrid, especially like me have them growing in close proximity to each other.

I don't mean to put you off trying, you might be successful first time.

The best way to increase your collection is by root division. This is easy as Aconitums are pseudo-perennials. This means (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.) they are bi-annuals that produce daughter plants then die but because a plant grows from the same spor they are classed as Perennials. Ok, root division, dig up the plant (autumn, sorry Fall, and spring are the ideal time) and gently tease the tubers appart or if fibrous rooted (in spring when you can see fresh growth) carefully pull apart and replant. WARNING wear gloves when handling.

I have no seeds this year, the drought has caused them to drop their flowers and most of their leaves.

Steve

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 10:26 AM

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 1:15 PM

Athens, OH

Steve-
Thanks for the advice. If my flowers produce seed I will try it. I did get a few seedlings last year. They just showed up about 5 feet away. I never knew they were biennials. How interesting!

That Fischeri is gorgeous!
I have tried the Aconitum 'Stainless Steel' a few times but haven't had much success.

I will also try the root division method...with gloves!
ROX

ROX

This is the life-cycle of the Tuberous rooted Aconite. Large flowers.

Year 1: Seed. Grows but does not flower, just builds up the root. Dies back to ground level.

Year 2: Flowers, produces seed and the daughter tubers. Dies back totally, Tuber as well leaving a ring of new tubers.

Year 3: From now on it repeats Year 2

This is the life-cycle of the Fibrous rooted Aconite. Small flowers.

Year 1: Seed. Grows but does not flower, just builds up the roots. Dies back to ground level.

Year 2: Flowers, produces seed. Dies back, Root system enlarges producing more shooting tips.

Year 3: From now on it repeats Year 2

These are simplified life-cycles, ie: no complicated scientific words, half of which I cant say, let alone understand .

Sometimes the flower sizes are reversed. Tuberous-small flowers. Fibrous-large flowers. this happens vary rarely.

Steve

Athens, OH

Great info!
Thank you so much for starting this post.
Aconitum are invaluable here because they bloom in the Fall AND! aren't eaten by deer.

ROX

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

yes, Thank you! Great! And if deer won't eat them ~ even better.

Don't forget the rabbits, they hate them to.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Calif sue ??????

Hi mike_freck

This thread was originally in 'Dave's Garden' forum and Calif_sue asked for it to be moved to this forum.

Steve

This is the latest one to flower.

Aconitum Grossdentatum

Thumbnail by Veshengo

And here is detail of the leaves

Thumbnail by Veshengo

Love the colour, just beautiful.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

I planted one but it never amounted to anything. I'd like to try again. How about a suggestion for my z5b garden.

Hi arigan

You could try

Aconitum Fischeri (syn. Aconitum Carmichaelii) or any of the Aconitum Napellus group. I could give a long list of ones to try but I these should be ok.

Where was it planted and do you remember its name?

Steve

The following two photos show the daughter tubers starting to grow from the mother. These are next years plants forming. The mother tuber is the one that dies and rots leaving the daughters behind.

Aconitum Cammarum 'Gletschereis'

Thumbnail by Veshengo

Aconitum Carmichaelii 'Barkers Variety'

Thumbnail by Veshengo

This is Aconitum Hemsleyanum (syn. A. Volubile) at a more advanced state. This is one of the rare true climbing Aconites.

Thumbnail by Veshengo
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Steve, do you have any idea of this species? It was suppose to be an alpine type but ended up as a climber. I've seen some blue-flowered climbers but not a nearly white one.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here's a shot showing more of the habit.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Athens, OH

Finally a picture of the aconitum plant that goes with the photo of the flowers I posted above.

ID?

ROX

Thumbnail by rox_male

Hi ROX

I'm pretty sure that it is Aconitum japonicum possibly Aconitum japonicum var. hakonense (Japanese Monkshood)
Aconitum japonicum can grow up to 6'
Aconitum japonicum var. hakonense grows up to 2' but theres no reason why this cannot grow higher.

Aconitum hakonense as I mentioned in the answer I gave you earlier is the same plant, different name.

Steve

Hi Todd_Boland

I think I know which it is. Can you post a photo of the leaves. That will help with the identification.

Steve

Athens, OH

Steve-
Thank you for the ID!
ROX

Hi Todd_Boland

I'm pretty sure that your Aconite is Aconitum Volubile.
There is a white form on the following web site www.abc.se/~m8449/delph.html#Acon
I presume the photo is copywrite to Hannelotte.Kindlund@abc.se
It is the only white climber that I know of.

Steve

Thumbnail by Veshengo
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Steve:

I have another white twining Aconitum that I got at Heronswood--their description follows:

"Aconitum alboviolaceum [DJH 107]

H:7' Summer Z:5

These are seedlings from my original collection from S. Korea on Mt. Kaibang where the twining stems gathered into small trees and shrubs along the crest of this mountain, and was, I assumed at the time, Aconitum hemsleyanum. Here in the garden, they grew the first two years producing enormous basal rosettes of large, lobed foliage, and then on the the third, sent explorative, twining stems upwards, cloaked with very pretty white hooded flowers, each kissed by violet, during July and August. A superb and rarely encountered perennial species that we have come to adore in our light woodland, though adaptable to full-sun situations as well. "

That's it on the right of the hostas--huge leaves.

Thumbnail by Kevin_5

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.