Need some help identifying!

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Solved......thanks to those who responded!! =)

Hello all,

I know this is going to be a bit more challenging without a picture, so I thought I would try this forum first since it's those of you who love these types of plants.

My grandmother and mother call this vine a "cypress fern". It does have fern like leaves, small red flowers that are somewhat like those of the trumpet vines. And oh my gosh.....it grows like wild fire. I think it could definately be considered "evasive" by many! But, I tried putting in "cypress fern" on the plant files and didnt find anything. Hopefully one of you recognize the description and give me a name for it!

Thanks so much!

Rhonda

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 10:38 PM

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Try Buterfly Pea Vine Paul

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Cypress Vine
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/93/index.html

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, Cypress Vine...Pretty little pest here.. It literally takes over everything within it's reach, lol

Larkie

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cypress Vine--It's what I call a real 'heirloom' plant--that means your "heirs" will be yanking out the seedlings for years. I'm still yanking out lots of seedlings every year and I haven't grown the plant for a good 12 years. But it's easy to identify and remove. I have much bigger pests--like nutgrass--lol.
Debbie

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 8:52 PM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

luv2dig ~ the cypress vine shouldn't be invasive in your zone. You can harvest the seed to keep it from freely reseeding also. It is a cheery delicate vine that the hummers enjoy also...

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

went to that link... what a cute little flower.... can it be contained in a pot??

It's only a re-seeding problem here.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

dmj--
what I meant was - will it outgrow a pot quickly? (I think I'm having that issue with my passion flower)... that plant looks so fragile and tiny... who would guess it was so invasive... I guess I could deadhead the blooms to prevent the seeding problem...right? ...

--Helen

It's invasive by reseeding not sending out runners. Sorry, I grew it in the ground, not in a pot. Gosh the seeds were so small on it I could never see them--lol--and then it flowered so often I couldn't keep it dead-headed but I work over 40 hrs a week and have alot of plants to tend to.

I know this is not very helpful but I do know that if I walk out back right now, in the northeast corner of my garden, near where it grew 12-13 years ago; I will find a few young plants just as sure as death, taxes, and cars that break down. Pulled two out last weekend.
Debbie
=)

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

That's it! Thanks for helping with the identification on it.

OMG, Debbie......I loved the "heirloom" plant thing. Very funny and VERY true.

Shoobnanny....I would think it could be contained with your attention to it. I think if I were to put it in a pot....I would also put some kind of trellis or something for it to grow on, because if it doesnt have something to climb on, it lays in bunches and isnt quite so pretty. And at least in a pot, if you decide you don't like it.....it would be way easier to get rid of! If you would like some seeds, I would be glad to send them your way, just let me know!

Thanks again all for the help!

Rhonda

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

You're right, Debbie......it's extremely difficult to keep up with all the seeds. I have tons already and that much still green.

And yes, shoo.....I believe deadheading would make a huge difference. I just think Debbie's description of "heirloom" plant is right on the money!

Anyway, offer of seeds stands , if you're brave enough ! =)

Rhonda

Actually, all kidding aside, if you are into heirloom plants and preserving that sort of thing (which usually I am) it is a very old garden variety flower. Thomas Jefferson grew it at Monticello; my father bought me one of his gardening journal books one year for Christmas. An excellent read.
Debbie

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

That's so cool to know, Debbie. I love that kind of thing myself. I didnt realize Thomas Jefferson was a gardner...I will have to check that out! I like having plants that come from my family members and friends. For some reason, that means a lot to me....to be able to walk around my yard and think "oh, that came from my Granny's...that one came from my Aunt..." . It's like having a part of them with me!

Thanks again for the information, I'm sure that will make an excellant read!

Rhonda

He was an avid gardener keeping a journal that spanned 60 years.

Book:
'Thomas Jefferson
The Garden and Farm Books'
published by Fulcrum Books

mostly veggies but also a lot of letters to people and some flowers, bulbs, perennials too

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

luv2dig Rhonda--
you have D-mail... ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.