Visitor to the Passies this morning

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

This morning when I went on my morning walk I stopped to photograph one of the passies. This little hummer was ready for breakfast.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Another shot

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Oops...same shot, I'll try again

Thumbnail by picabo
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice Paul

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Great pictures

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Awww! picabo! How precious! What a kodak moment, AND you had your camera... Thanks for posting. I love hummers.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks folks. I usually take my camera on my morning walk. Never know what you will see. LOL

The hummers are fun. I didn't expect the hummer so didn't have the camera set to really capture it. Made it all the more fun.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Excellent shot--they migration has started here...been seeing them every day for a week and a half.
Debbie

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I hate to think about the migration starting. I sure enjoy having the little things here all summer.

We don't really have many all summer but swarms starting Sept-Oct. I look forward to it every year!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have a few Hummers starting in April, but they move on North. They may drink a quart a day. Then the BIG swarms arrive in June. Starting in July I make a gallon of hummer feed every morning and it is gone before dark. One of my favorites summer chores. I sure will miss them.
They are so cute in the spring if they get here before the feeders are full they will come to the windows and look in.
"Hey Woman, where is our juice?"

Betty

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Betty..Great Photo.. I loved seeing them during my visit there ... you really have the hummers graceing your garden..due in no small part to your care and feeding of them.. Keep up the good work... Gordon

Betty-
I know what you mean about them staring at you through the window. Had one staring at me earlier this morning reminding me to make some sugar water and get out there and fill the feeder. I think they begin to know us after a while and return to the same gardens every year during their migration. IDown here in October, if you sit outside in the late afternoon, the sound of their "squeeking" at each other and arguing over the feeders is really fun to watch.
Debbie

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

The hummers are so funny. Several years ago, during a winter ice storm I lost a tree in the yard where I had always hung my feeders. In the spring when the Hummers came to visit they went to the area where the tree had been and acted like they were lost. The feeders were only hanging about 20 feet away but it took them a while to move to the new location.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I saw my first hummer this morning on the cross vine-

I have to get all of my feeders out and wash them. Usually my hummers (or the hummers humans) don't check into the garden hotel until september. I've noticed things are a little early this year- the green beetles have started flying, the pecans are dropping, water oak nuts falling.

I think this means I better get to cleaning out the green house. It turns into a garden storage shed during the summer.

rj

My live oaks have got the biggest crop right now I've seen in 14 years on the tree. Wonder if that means we might actually have a winter this year? I agree, a little early but usually they start meandering in end of Aug.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I noticed that the hummers may be starting to leave here. They usually empty the feeders everyday, I filled the feeders this morning and there is plenty in them for tomorrow. I guess they are on their way south.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, mine has the biggest crop I've ever seen. I was wondering about the winter too.
Going to be HOT today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.