Plum Tree issue

Duncan, BC(Zone 8b)

We moved in a year ago and I trimmed back the plum tree a third (max. they say to do) but it is still unmanageable. I need advice for this years trimming. Can I top it so it won't be so high or should I just worry about thinning it out? Any suggestions?

Also, it appears to be suckering a lot. Is the norm? Any ideas for low maintenance under it? I was going to remove the grass but now I realize it is suckering I am not sure this is a wise idea.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2006 7:59 AM

Thumbnail by WannaBgardener
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Are you interested in getting fruit from the tree or is it more ornamental? If you want fruit, I would thin it out, open up the center, and lower the top.

Baltimore, MD

I would start working on it right now - summer pruning will reduce the vigor next spring since late summer and early fall is when the plant stores up energy for growing next spring. Plum trees also tolerate heavy pruning more than most trees so just keep gradually cranking up the heat on it - you will eventually figure out the right balance.

Scott

Duncan, BC(Zone 8b)

Thank you for your suggestions. I won't be able to prune it until I pick the fruit but at least I will be able to go at it while up in the tree !

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Glad I dropped in. It will also help me. I wasn't sure how to prune my plum tree. Knowing I can open up the center where we can't reach the plums anyway will be a big help.Even though I leave them for the birds.

We lost about a quarter of the tree in a storm last summer and I also didn't know if I dared prune it after that shock.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Since it's late-winter pruning time I've been checking this forum for fruit-tree discussions. I have two plums, one a pyramid-shape and the other trained as an espalier against a wall (see photo below, before leaf-out).

If I may offer some advice, my first approach to this tree would be to cut out one (the smaller) of the two trunks. A double-trunk is never desirable: if you had two trees you wouldn't plant them so close together. This will dramatically reduce the crowding in the middle of your tree. The shock may cause some increased suckering and watersprouts but these can be managed in late fall. A year from now you can do some structural pruning to re-establish a natural shape to the tree to promote fruit production.

Thumbnail by andycdn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.