Iris growing in zone 9 - can you help with id?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

If anyone could help with id on this iris, I would appreciate it! Here is the link in the ID forum:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/636067/#new

Thanks!

Onalee

Thumbnail by onalee
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I read the other thread--sometimes you would be surprised in how dry of conditions LA iris can grow--as long as they are wet in winter (that's the key).

Look into Iris brevicaulis--the species iris--closely related to LA iris called 'zig zag iris' its naturalized in Texas and may be in Florida too. The PlantFiles pics show a wide variety of color for these and that could be the cameras taking them. Look at the second pic--the style arms are identical. Is it pretty short when it blooms? That is, less than 24'?
Debbie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for your help. I think you may be right - I never really noticed the zig-zag they're talking about, but the flowers are mostly below the foilage and 24" or less in height. Here's the only 'full view' picture I had gotten of the plant.

I googled it and found more pictures - some people selling it say full sun, other say shade; that may depend on what zone they're grown in - not too many plants can take full sun here in Florida.

http://tenn.bio.utk.edu/vascular/database/vascular-photos-enlarge.asp?CategoryID=Monocots&FamilyID=Iridaceae&GenusID=Iris&SpeciesID=brevicaulis&PhotoNameID=ir_brev&PhotographerNameID=Dennis%20D.%20Horn

Thanks much for your help!!

Onalee

Thumbnail by onalee
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Can you tell me how I should plant these rhizomes - in particular, is there a correct way that I should divide them to make more individual plants?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Onalee

Thumbnail by onalee

Make sure they are under about 1" of soil and then a couple of inches of mulch. Otherwise the plant rhyzome will suffer sunscald. They can take full sun in FLA full sun in Houston is the same. If they do not receive at least 6 hours of sun they will not bloom well. Those rhyzomes are already divided; you will have to wait until next fall to divide them again.

See the side with the roots? That is the side they will grow on--Louisiana's grow in the direction they are pointed.
Debbie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks a lot!

Onalee

anytime =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.