what to do with cuttings next???

Jefferson, NH(Zone 3b)

About 3 weeks ago I started a dozen cuttings each of artic kiwi, harrisons yellow rose and an old hydranga I found at an abondoned farmhouse. All seem to have taken very well and roots have started. My question is what to do next with winter approaching> This is zone 3-4 depending on the winter. It was 40 last night and our first frost is usually over Labor Day. I doubt they will have strong enough root systems to go diect into the garden before winter sets in. Should I plants pot and all into the ground ? I have a hoop house but they wont get any snow cover to protect if I plant in there. Any Ideas out there??

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

You can do one of a few things. First is transplant into a quart size container and let it grow roots as much as possible before the cold really comes ( grow on the dry side to promote the root growth), if you think they will grow fast in the next month or so-then skip the quart and go directly to a gallon. Then overwinter in the hoophouse and cover with either a heavy frost blanket or some old blankets that you have, on the really cold nights. If these plants go totally dormant and die back, then you can cover with mulch as well. Or you can bring them inside for the winter, or plant them soon ( depending on how developed the root system is-I am not familiar with the growing habits if these plants) and mulch really heavy after they die back.

Fulton, MO

I have rooted some arctic kiwi this year. I plan to handle them, and the hydrangeas, as in years past, in a cold frame. I generally let them go completely dormant. Then after a couple of hard freezes, I cover with a layer of straw or wood chips.

If you don't have too many plants, you could build a little cold frame inside the hoop house for extra protection.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.