The Evil Hedge is Going...Anybody have less Invasive ideas?

Thornton, IL

thanks escambia, that's sweet of you to offer. I have to find a home for the rocks first though. :0)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
And at Bourbon MO they put in some new plantings.

But ya gotta love their water towers! I like the old one best. Maybe it's because it's aged . . .

Regarding the invasives versus non-invasives issue, part of gardening is trying new things, and most of them are not firmly in one category or the other in any particular habitat or climate zone. I think informed choices and responsible monitoring, along with sharing information at places such as this forum,are extremely valuable. Plants that I see causing trouble here might ot might not cause trouble in some other state, but knowing the potential should make one more acutely aware and observant.

Another issue involves plant collecting (obviously represented disproportionately here) versus landscape design for aeshetics and function. The latter can be done brilliantly without resorting to anything that even hints of being a problem, while the former involves what public health officials call "risky behavior." We all need to know what we grow.

Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I can't believe you have a picture of that!! I always look at that when I'm driving 80 mph up I-44. Wondering if it's full of bourbon or water....hmmmm. Do you by chance, have a picture of the guy on the east bound lane somewhere along there that has all the gas pumps and signs? He had a Zephyr sign I want!!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

No, but I know the place. He also has llamas, emus, bison, and other weird assorted beasties. I've thought about stopping to shoot it sometime but never have done it. Now that my parents are gone I don't get down there much anymore.
Guy S.

He does? I'm too busy looking at all the signs and the pumps. I want that sign. Go shoot something and sneak the sign into your truck or car or whatever it is you drive. I knew I should of swiped the sign from the side of the road (dad's sign) years ago but I never did.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, you could take a high-res digital pic of it and blow it up! Oh, wait, you're the notorious photographically challenged one, right? Or was that PartyGirl, or Levi, or Evil, or someone else? Who is it that VV always mocks every time she posts a pic?
Nighty-nite!

Guy S.

Guy please don't start on me too :(

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Awwwwww -- just take a good pic and show us all what you can do! Set up to get the max resolution you can with minimal cropping, avoid any flash glare by shooting at a slight angle and then squaring up the image digitally, clean up any background distractions, and make an oversize print. Or just do the photo part and let me or someone else help you with the rest.
Guy S.

I am going to hide from this thread since I point and click and couldn't operate a camera on a manual setting if my life depended on it. Sheesh, I couldn't even edit a photo without someone else taking a look first to tell me if my photo is even fuzzy or not and worth the time of editing it. I still can't photograph white flowers.

Personally, I think this is a good shot I took out the side window of the airplane.

If I understood your directions Guy, don't you think I'd be doing it already? I don't understand this program with this camera, I don't get how you clean it up etc. etc. There's nothing to lighten, brighten, contrast etc. etc.

Thumbnail by terryr

I also like this one......

Thumbnail by terryr
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Then just take your best shot next time you go down there, filling as much of the frame as you can with the sign without cutting off any edges, and send it to me on a CD. It's the least I can do in exchange for your tree-watering service!

Guy S.

I don't want a picture of the sign, I want the sign! Go getter for me, it is after all the least you can do.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't steal signs. But maybe he's sell it to you if you act really sweet and helpless and bat your eyelashes? Anyway, I think you could blow up the photo and mount it on a board and have a really neat display. We could even photoshop-in a few bullet holes!

How did we arrive here from The Evil Hedge? Sorry for the hi-jack, Dove, but I hope you already have your answers.

Guy S.

But Guy, she says in her most forlorn voice and batting her eyelashes, it's for meeee.......

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I wish I had used ear protection all those decades I was running chain saws and equipment. Is someone saying something? I can't hear you . . .

Fine. See if I do anything for you again. Hmph.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

. . . and next, you'll want me to steal the Bourbon tank for you too!

No, silly, that's way too big!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.