Critter Photography Part 2

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I found this wasp crawling in the grass the other day. I've worn shoes outside ever since. I sure wouldn't want to step on him.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's another shot of the wasp.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Janet, if you had known about the owls, you could have saved the money on the pistol. that wasp looks nasty...I wouldn't want to step on it.

I never knew what the GIANT mosquitoes were. glad to hear they are good guys. they hang around my door all night long.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Years ago I stepped on a bee, now I wear shoes.
Owls are cool.
Speaking of giants. This is the largest Dragonfly I've seen this season. Shot this today.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW Andy!!! He's beautiful! And he looks HUGE!

Gram, yer right. I could have saved the money, had I known. That is the story of my life! The rats have been around for years though. There is a drainage ditch behind the fence, so I don't expect that the owls have exterminated ALL of them.

Oh well..... sure was a let down to not have anything to shoot! HAHAHAHA

Janet

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Is the owl a baby? And yes - they are probably doing a wonderful job of exterminating your yard - they are excellent hunters. They are obviosly attracted to the good eats at your place...
I find wasps to be beautiful - although they have right of way in the garden :)
Has anyone made the block nests for the mason bees before? You take a 4x4, about 1 1/2 feet in length, & drill holes in the sides. Then hang it from a tree limb - the masons will lay their eggs in the wood in the holes provided. They are great pollinators, especially when the honey bees have been lower in numbers. I saw the directions for this nest in a magazine. Just wanted to know if it actually works-
Julie

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Julie,

I think he is probably full grown. I've seen owls this size here several times over the past 16 years we've lived here. Rarely do I see one any bigger than that. I hear them all the time. I rarely go out back without the dogs following me. Poor Tink is so afraid I'm going to "poot" and she's gonna miss it! HAHAHAHA

I've never heard of the Mason Bees, or making the block nest. We've got a whole bunch of lumber, including 4 X 4's out in the little wood shed. I'll have to get hubby to make me one. I've enjoyed watching the bees doing their thing this year, more so than in the past years. I've become so aware of all of the wildlife in the yard since I joined DG. Every day I spot something that I haven't seen before.... or never noticed before, I should say.

I found this beautiful red dragonfly recently. I don't ever remember seeing a red one before.

Janet

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

that is a pretty one, Janet. I see the dragonflies buzzing around all the time, mostly when I'm in the pool. but I never see them sitting still. Andy, that big one is really something. we should start trying to identify for bugfiles. anybody got a book, or has that already been done?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Janet, that's a nice one. A little different than the red ones I've seen. Cool.

Gram, I get a lot of 'corrections' when I submit to BugFiles, it's frustrating. I like to know what they are but just the common name is fine for me. If someone knows exactly what one is, please let me know. Then I'll try adding another entry. Researching them is a fine Winter pastime, there is no rush.

Now this insect is a new one to me. It was not bothered with me at all, it hardly moved when I poked it with a blade of grass. It had it's head under the flowers and wouldn't move to let me get a better shot. Finally I spread the flower cluster to get this.
What is it? The flower is Sedum 'Autumn Joy'.
Andy P

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Locust Borer (Megacyllene robiniae)

Check here, Andy > http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/27/

Ya need to post that wonderful image in there .. with Melodys. That'll give us 2 wonderful shots!

- Magpye

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank You, Mags. It is done. I'll let you know if I get a 'correction'. LOL
You're the best.
Andy P

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

That huge dragonfly or its sibling came back today. I got much better shots.
Andy P

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh WOW! Andy that's fantastic!

I can almost hear him saying, Are you looking at ME???

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Andy, your pics just get better and better. his wings look like a pattern for stained glass. I want to color them in.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Whoa fabulous shot!!!! :~)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for reminding me about that pic, Magoobu. I started a thread in Photos for a series of pics of this Dragonfly. I miss-IDed it as a Turquoise-tipped Darner, it's really a Shadow Darner.
Andy P

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

I will check that out I love your shots!!!!

Anna Maria Island, FL(Zone 9b)

Great Critters, everyone!

I shot this little baby, who was one of twins, in our backyard last year at our old house up in PA.

Thumbnail by Lellie
Trelleborg, Sweden

Here's a little fellow (just over 2 inches long) that paid a visit to us late one evening this summer. They are said not to go this far up north, but we've had a very long and warm summer.

Christina

Thumbnail by MyHoyas
Trelleborg, Sweden

Another shot of it. Oh, almost forgot! I've really enjoyed all the previous photos!

Christina

Thumbnail by MyHoyas
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Christina, always cool to see something you don't expect. great pics, too.

gram ~a girl~

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Great shots, Christina.
It's always fun to shoot something new.
Andy P

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

not that the bug files here aren't good....

but www.whatsthatbug.com has an amazing website for figuring out what you are about to stomp on

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.