papaya in the NW

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey gang,

I've been looking at papaya plants in the tropical area on DG and think that they're beautiful. I was thinking of planting the seeds of a store-bought papaya (sources say it's quite viable) now, keeping them as houseplants for the winter and then putting them outside for the summer. I don't care about fruit - just love the foliage. Has anyone tried this?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The Babaco Papaya seems to be the best bet for growing outside here: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74196/index.html
If carefully placed against the house on the south side or protected during frosty weather it should survive a few degrees of frost.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I propagated a few dozen a few months ago. I think with the same protection given to Musa basjoo it should take winters here. I'll throw one in the ground against the house and see how it goes.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh Pixydish,
You are amazing!

Marysville, WA

HERPST;
Wholeheartedly AGREE re: PIXYDISH = Amazing

Shelton, WA

There is another good source for information about plants grown in the Pacific Northwest called Territorial Seed Company. They can help as well.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Skidivur,

You're just kissing up so you'll still be her favorite! BTW - I said it first!

You boys know I don't buy into all the sweet talk! What are you up to anyway? When the two of you get along, anything can happen!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Herpst Did you do the papaya thingy?

Viv

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Nah,
Just threw the seeds in the compost. I'll think about it again next time I get a papaya at the store. I already have a mountain cabbage tree http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57969/index.html that I bring in in the winter. It has similar but smaller and bluer foliage.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

From what I understand, if started very early in the season, inside it would grow to a tree within 9 months, and produce fruit. No need to over winter.. just grow another.

Viv

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I successfully grew about a dozen Babaco Papayas from cutting which are now in 8" pots doing well. I'm going to grab one and pop it in the ground next to the house and see how it overwinters.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.