How do you guys air layer?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I've tried air layering a couple of times by wrapping tape around some sphag but it never worked. What do you guys do?

I also saw these rooter-pots. Does any one make their own?

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Try using some potting compost instead of sphag, this might work

Lilburn, GA

do you scratch the surface of the stem to make it easier for the plants to root? Also put a bit of rooting hormone in the place where you scratch.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Peat moss worked for me in the past with a rubber tree and giant dumb canes. I wounded the stem with a V notch, treated with rooting hormone, and wrapped damp peat moss in plastic wrap and waited a few weeks until I saw roots before severing from the mother plant. Years later I found those two plants easily root by just taking cuttings.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I have the Rooter Pots and they have worked well for me, though I have not used them that much. I successfully used them on Viburnum and Cornus, but they did not work on Dawn Redwood. Currently have two going - Viburnum Mariesii and a Crape Myrtle.

Victor

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I have scratched and used rooting hormone. I know that I'm going to go crazy with this and don't want to pay a couple of bucks per pot.

I was thinking that I could cut two styrofoam cups in half, fill each one with rooting medium, fit it around the limb and seal the two cups together and tape the cups closed.

But maybe plastic wrap is best so I can see the roots.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

When you consider how much time and effort is saved by having a relatively large 'baby' plant, it's worth the expense in my book. They are re-usable and make the process so easy. The plastic cap is designed so it's easy to water and the re-sealable sticker enables you to check on root development. My only complaint is that they did not recommend trimming the foliage after planting the newly propagated plant. It is a must since the new rootball is small and the parent plant is no longer providing water. Transpiration will overwhelm it quickly.

Victor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.