Tiny Seed Storage?

Madison, MS

What's the best way to save/store tiny seeds? I saved some from my Angelonia and they are light colored and tiny - any ideas?

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Old pill bottles.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I get little zip lock bags from a craft store. They are clear and about 1"x2" and use peel and stick labels on them or you could just write on them with a Sharpie. Just make sure they are thoroughly dried before you put them in so there is no molding.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I use empty, clear film canisters a lot. These work good for seeds of all sizes. Easier access than those tiny zip-loc bags, even though I do use them also--especially when mailing seeds. They are just a pain to get open--sometimes.

Gita

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I have a few different Angelonias, I am intrigued where do I find the seeds on these.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

For small ones , zip lock for larger , I use plastic sleeves that baseball cards go in . Shotch tape closed . I keep them in a notebook in the pages that hold baseball cards .

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

If the seeds are really tiny, static can be a problem when using plastic ziplocks. Maybe coin envelopes?

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Coin envelopes work, but you have to be careful to really glue the end well and you will still get tiny seeds stuck in the glue. I put my seeds in a coin envelope and then put that in a ziplock. That way the paper can help regular the humidity, if it occurs. I have too many seeds to store in bottles, but I think glass is in fact the best. Just remember if you refrigerate them to let the glass come to room temp before opening, so you don't get condensation inside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.