Question about hostas in pots

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have been avoiding hostas in pots because I have plenty of land at this point but I have a few spots where there are not yet any midstory plants and I thought an interesting planter might make a difference. I am in zone 6 and I'm wondering if a hosta needs to be moved into the ground for the winter or can it overwinter in a pot in this zone? My gut says - "no" but my busy schedule says - "unlikely to get hosta into the ground when I should". The large planter would also unlikely be something that would be moved easily. I already have one that I was planning on moving into the shed for the winter (not hostas) that is pretty much impossible for me to budge. Luckily those tough plants survive the winter.

Should I just stay away from the idea of no-care potted hosta in my zone?

(edited to say that I am also motivated by my jealousy of seeing all these gorgeous potted hostas you all have and wanting some in my garden!)

Thanks! Sue

This message was edited Jul 29, 2006 8:38 AM

Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

Sue,

The problem as I understand it, is that the snow/ice/water sits in the pot and rots the roots. I've left many outside (that I received in late fall and never got them planted) and they've all died but one.

Someone said that they turn the pot on it's side to prevent the water from sitting in it.

This year, I'm going to try putting one of my pots (one I don't care so much about) in my unheated garage and keep it slightly damp. Heck, I might leave one on it's side outside to, just as an experiment. I have duplicates of some plants, so if I lost it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Kathy

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kathy,

I think I am going to do the same thing, experiment this winter with plants like the unnamed divisions I have from friends that appear to be common old favorites and hard to kill. I just know that - despite my best intentions - I work so many hours that I have to be realistic about the future maintenence of the plants. I would hate to loose any favorites.

I think I'll pick up a few pots and urns and tip one on its side for the winter. I have an interesting looking strawberry pot that isn't typical but looks as if someone slashed the sides of the pot open. I had intended on moving that one into the shed for the winter but I ended up putting it inside a low fence to protect it from the dogs and now it is too heavy to lift out. Luckily the indestructible hens and chicks that are flowing out of it make it all four seasons. I also have potted sedum that will survive the end of the world.

On the positive side, my brother who does extensive city gardening and works part time for a landscape design company has agreed to my offer to pay him for some ongoing assistance. Someone to help out will make a huge difference as my boyfriend barely sets foot outside, has never pulled a weed and doesn't touch a mower with a ten foot pole! Maybe he will be the one to manage the pots in the future.

If it doesn't work I guess I'll have a few pots for the neighborhood yard sale :-)

Sue

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure about 6b, but I left several in pots this winter and they all came back for me in zone 7. I plan on planting several in large pots around the yard. This Sum and Substance did so well for the last 2 years in a bowl type planter.

Thumbnail by weeding
Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cynthia - How large are your pots? I wonder if larger pots do better than smaller ones.

Sue

Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

Holy Cow! I can't believe that monster is in a pot!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Sue,

I have gallon pots that have now made it through up to six winters without problems from weather. I did lose plenty of them to squirrels digging them up last year but weather has never bothered them. I even have to water them midway through winter if I can find a couple of days that are going to be above freezing at night then I water them. Mine are protected by my house from the coldest winter winds and protected by our English Oak tree that holds about half its leaves till spring.

I am zone 6 also but this climate is very very dry ( average yearly rainfall is 9 inches).

Good luck,
Lani

Virginia Beach, VA

Sue,
Check out the thread New members collection to see all the potted hostas. Bellie

Bettendorf, IA

What about potted plugs? Should you make sue to get them in the ground or keep them in the pots fr winter?

Peg,

As far as the plugs mine are kept in pots and have done well too. Remember my conditions though as yours may be totally different. I would hate for you to lose a bunch of plants on my say so.

Lani

It's about a 5 gallon bowl planter. I think it grows larger because the crown is able to spread out Here is a picture of this type on ebay. My planter is a cheap plastic one. I'm thinking abot making some hypertufa bowl planters to put them in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230006585295&category=20515
Here is some hypertufa instructions.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_containers_outdoor/article/0,,HGTV_3561_4834334,00.html

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 4:07 PM

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

My goodness, did you pay that much for yours??? Whew!!!

I buy cheap things at WalMart. LOL

Susan
=^..^=

I only paid about $5.00 for my planter. I would never pay that much for a flower pot. I'm cheap or should I say frugal. LOL!

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, I was thinking that a low planter like that would be too shallow for the roots of a hosta. How exciting to know that you have had so much success with them! I am now thinking of doing some potted minis in conjunction with a some type of water element like a bubbling dish. I'm getting more confidence hearing about the success everyone has had with pots. ~~~ But I won't hold anyone responsible if they don't make it over the winter!

Sue

Cynthia, I have taught several clubs how to make hypertuffa. It is a fun project and easy too. Several of my friends are now hypertuffa addicts. lol I love that low bowl and think it would be grand with sedums spilling over the sides of it.

Lani

I may even get as bold as to make a hypertufa trough. A couple of those may look good near the front entrance to the house.

Cynthia the troughs are not hard to do. The hardest part is waiting for them to dry and keeping the outside of them moist while they dry so they don't crack. I have made several of them and used them as gifts for special people too. Hmmm I just came up with an idea as I have been asked to make a nice raffle item for the watergarden society. I am off to see what I need for the project. Thanks for reminding me. lol

Lani

Dallas, TX

I know I am coming in a little late, but , are they selling that plastic bowl for 116.00? I bought two of them for less than twenty dollars and I think they were deeper. I sure would like to find out who in Dallas is ripping people off like that. altho I must admit I love pots that are different and I will pay the price. I just bought two square shaped glazed pots that 29.00 a piece. HD has a HUGE, beautiful gold colored glazed pot for 59.00. It must stand five or six ft tall. I want that for my Sum&Substance. Lord I hope its there in September. I want to learn to do the hypertufula thing too. Rebecca had a receipe on her show that appeared to be a lot easier, but takes longer to cure. Hopefully I can find it at her Website.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Sylvia, you know what they say "A fool and his money... :) "

Diann

Dallas, TX

.... and your point? :)

LOL
=^..^=

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Sylvia, not sure, but I had saved this at one point and think it was from Rebecca's show
http://hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_decorative/article/0,,HGTV_3565_1377353,00.html

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ha! My money flys away just as quick as anyone elses! I bought four more hosta from Bridgewood Gardens. We won't tell my husband, ok? lol softly

Diann

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've always wanted to make these things but I just don't think it's ever going to be as easy as these directions make it seem. The last time I bought concrete mix with the intention of securing some fence posts I wound up with three left over bags of solid concrete quicker than I could find something else to do with them. Now I'm stuck with these concrete blobs.

I did buy two low and wide aged looking containers tonight and I'll through some of the "unnamed garden divisions" in there for the winter. I don't think I will have the nerve to pot any of the named kids but I'm looking at these to fill the spaces in between until they grow.

(PS - Diann, I just bought 19 from Bridgewood... I won't tell your husband if you don't tell my boyfriend!!!)

Sue

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Addie, it's a deal. ;) Except, my husband knows. But what he doesn't know yet, is that I'm planning a hosta road trip to Independence and Dubuque in search of the elusive "Nougat." :) I'll send him fishing with his dad that day. :)

Diann

Hey Diann, if you find it, you can get me one too and mail it on down here. I'll pay for shipping of course and maybe give you a little something for your trouble.

Well.......that is if it is not tooooooo awfully expensive. Figured I had better put a condition in there. LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Jim's hostas has it for $55.00. I'm still working up nerve to buy it. They also have Marie's Nifty Fifty for $40. 00. ;) Now all I have to do is a road trip....

Diann

http://jimshostas.com/index.shtml

Edited to say:

Susan, but if I get one and you really want me to get one for you, I would. It's just that they would probably do a better job of packing it that I would and they wouldn't get as attached to it as I would and so you'd probably stand a better chance of actually getting it from them than from me. :) But, if all else fails, and I get my hands on one..... ;) Be sure to read In the Country's web site about Nougat. Josh says it's difficult to grow.... This is why I'm working up my nerve to buy it. ;) I'd hate to spend $55 and have it croak the first year. Cat's Eye died for me the first year.

http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 11:43 PM

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Diann,

I am so with you on the Nougat decision. It's one thing if it was an initial expense for a "typically" durable hosta but one that barely has any energy making green spots that you know is going to give you trouble is a whole other story.

I just love the light colors and speckles though. I came across "Oil on Canvas" at Hosta Library.org. Have you seen the photo there? And then there's Nouzang. Yet another one to add to the quest. I can't begin to even find a hint of "Oil on Canvas" anywhere in the world except on HL but maybe someday...

Sue

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

ARGH!!! Now I want that one too!!!!! :) I've seen Nouzang in the HL, too. Nougat and Nouzang look to be the same plant to me, but who knows. My Revolution is beautiful and seems to be doing quite well where it is. Maybe it will sport a Nougat or Nouzang for me and save me the $55.00. :) What's that I see???? A flying pig???? Can it be??? :) lol!

Diann

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Diann,

LOL! I am a complete sucker for speckles - do you have Pathfinder and Independence too? Not that I am enabling your addiction but... if you are enjoying Revolution and don't have those yet they are going to be on your must have list! Pathfinder's freckles are fewer but still a gorgeous plant.

http://www.myhostagardens.com/Pathfinder.html

http://www.myhostagardens.com/Independence.htm

I would trade that flying pig in for a speckled hosta if I were you :-)

Sue

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Sue, well, I'll just have to check those out. I think I'm pretty much done buying hosta for the year (except for road trips). I really should be concentrating on getting the ones I have into the ground and getting the hosta beds I have weeded and re-mulched. I'm off to weed gardens and plant various things sitting around in pots and then on to the hosta heavens.... I say we bbq that flying pig! :)

Diann

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Peg,

It would be best to get your plugs in the ground, even in a temporary home. They might make it otherwise, but I would not take the chance.

I winter over hostas here in Z5 in pots, tipped on their sides. But they are more mature plants.

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Diann,

Is the bbq ready? I'm hungry! I potted up one of my unnamed plants and wished him the best of success in getting through the winter. If he doesn't there's another one in the garden.

I also discovered my Sum and Substance got big enough to be bothered by my clothes dryer vent. I never thought of that when I put it there. Moving that monster was a challenge. I hope it doesn't get set back too much from the move. I have no idea how that fits into a pot!!!

Sue

Thumbnail by AddieOtto
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Cliffords Comet is also a nice speckled cultivar.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelly.... thppppppppppppppppppppppt! :) Right now I'm even speckled. Speckled with dirt!

Diann

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well darn.. you know I will not be able to resist! Cliffords Comet is now on the must have list.

Sue

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'd be happy to name a few more for some eye candy for your enjoyment,,,,JLMK,,,LOL

LOL Kelly. I could help with that list probably. FOFLMBO.

Lani

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Lani,

Prolly you could,,,LOL How 'bout Lakeside Zinger? There's a cute lil guy. Oh, not to forget Lakeside Little Zing Zang. Both on my wish list.

Dallas, TX

Sue what an awesom container!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.