Alstroemeria

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck growing alstroemeria in zone 7 and if so do you grow from seeds?

Thanks for the info...

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think they are hardy to zone 7 so you should be able to grow them and they should be OK unless you have a really bad winter. I've heard they're rather tricky to germinate though--I tried once and didn't have any luck.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

There's an orange/yellow type that seems to semi-naturalize here. The dryer the spot, the better it does. Perfect winter drainage seems to do the trick.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info

Raleigh, NC

Check out Niche Gardens Chapel Hill, NC online--its zone 7b and they sell mostly native/local plants. They do sell Alstroemeria. I bought some this summer, but I can't comment on how well they do here, as mine are still in pots. I have their paper catalog, but they aren't listed there. Hope this helps!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Once established in the garden, they can become invasive. They develop fragile tubers that go very deep that can be tricky to dig up without breaking.
They aren't hardy in my zone, but I have three in pots that will overwinter in my basement. Once they stop flowering, you should reduce watering and let them go dormant.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I had heard that germination was difficult. I had some seeds and put them in a potting soil mix, barely covering the seed. I put this pot out in an open cold frame in early spring while we did still have some cold weather. I forgot about them. I checked after about a month and hundreds of them had germinated. My mistake was repotting them, I killed them all. If I would have put just a few seeds in seperate pots and then thinned them I would have had lots and lots of plants. No, they are not hard to germinate, if you don't try too hard. Just don't prick them out and repot, they don't like that at all.
Rebecca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.