Ornamental Oregano Kent Beauty

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I think I have the correct forum.
Is this edible?
I have ordered this twice from High Country Gardens and they died. Now my local grocery store has a pint size container of it for 40% off. I would like to try it again. The flowers are so beautiful.
I had it in 2 places in my raised bed, North side but it received sun all day.
Thanks for any input on this plant.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/96420/
Linda

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

DeBaggio's catalog says 'Kent Beauty' "has some flavor but is best used as an ornamental." I read that as meaning, yes, it is edible, but you might not like it much! It is a tender perennial in our zone, so if you tried to overwinter it outside before, that's why it died. It does have beautiful flowers!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! Kent Beauty is really a beauty! Betty

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am on my second try. It is a beautiful ornamental (tempermental) plant for me. I haven't figured out exactly why yet. I got further this year and it even bloomed. Now it is staggering and I am suspicious of our intense heat and humidity. 'Southern Herb Growing' states "does not do at all well in wet, humid conditions" "do not recommend planting in ground in this region" " give this plant full sun, less than average moisture, and excellent drainage. It is not fussy about soil, but don't plant in clay. It is hardy to about 15 degrees so if outdoors, must be lifted for winter protection." I keep mine in a pot and it does make an excellent hanging basket.
Edible, perhaps, what I love is the fragrance. When cut back, dry the leaves and they hold the fragrance. It would make an excellent potpourri. I read a tea could be made from the flower heads. I have to say I love it and if unsuccessful, will try again and again. At 40% off, I would not hesitate! This is a photo of the blooms beginning. I think I have a better one but can't find it right now....

Thumbnail by podster
Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

The PF says hardy to zone 5. I had mine planted outside.
Jill, you grow African violets. Would you recommend this in AV potting soil?
Pod, what type of potting mix did you use? Where do you place yours in the winter? Do you carry it outside in the Summer? The flowers are what attracted me.
Thanks for the additional information.
I looked it up on High Country website. I see that it has a different Latin name (Origanum rotundifolium).
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/73050.html
Linda

This message was edited Jul 29, 2006 7:47 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't see why AV potting mix wouldn't work for herbs -- the key for herbs also is to have a well-draining mix, which the extra perlite in AV mix would certainly provide... but ordinary soil-less potting mix would also work just fine.

I'm thinking DeBaggio is probably right and the zone 5 listing in PF is an error. I would at least overwinter a divison or cuttings inside this winter as a backup...

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Today was my Friday. I have never had one make it to overwinter. They act like annuals here. I am thinking it is our sweltering heat/humidity. Moisture more than heat. I have just used a general purpose potting soil. Yes, I keep it outside in the morning sun. Our afternoon sun becomes unbearable and I find many plants prefer p.m. protection here. If I can only grow it as an annual, I intend to keep enjoying it. Many herb books I have read suggest it as a potted plant and that is all I have done. I have an enclosed porch which maintains a temp in the mid 50s during our winter. Should it drop, I can provide heat. That is where I would winter it should I be so lucky.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Podster, in your zone I think most things that are "tender perennials" for us are simply "perennials" for you -- if, as you say, they survive the summer! Now you've got me wondering how this one would fare as a house plant in a sunny window.... In TX, maybe you could bring it inside during the hottest months of summer and see how that goes.

I may try bringing it indoors. Fortunate for us, but unfortunately, we built so the windows would receive shade/shelter in the summer. Easier and cheaper to keep cool. We are positioned with shade from deciduous trees and sheltered by porches on the necessary sides. A/C is definitely easier on the pocketbook. That said, I am not sure we have enough bright light for this plant. It is worth a try though if I can't be successful outdoors. The worst that could happen... already does!

RDT ~ Have you bought the 40% off plant yet? Why not! If you like it well enough, try, try again. My listings show it as origanum dictamnus.

Pajaritomt ~ I don't see why you could not grow it. Rob Proctor "Herbs in Pots" "Herbs in Garden" grows it in pots in Colorado. It is lovely and your climate may well suit it...

I have to say I am disappointed there aren't more comments from anyone who has grown this beautiful herb.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have looked high and low for this plant, went on vacation, Yes, find all kinds of things on vacaction, and I found the kent beauty bought 2 quart sized plants, that I put in the same pot and they are now starting to bloom and grown twice the size. I'm very pleased with it. I hope it over winters well inthe greenhouse and I can have a huge beautiful hanging basket of it next spring, wonder how well it roots by cuttings?

This is truly a beauiful show piece.

kathy

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, I bought it yesterday. It was root bound and had a heck of a time trying to loosen the roots up. Here is the tag information. It looks like we can grow it here; but, I still do not want to risk it. Linda
http://hanabayflowers.com/oregano.html
I had this in my files concerning kent Beauty: http://www.paghat.com/kentbeauty.html

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Linda, that first link makes it pretty clear it's a tender perennial and will die if left outside in freezing temps. It'll grow in the indicated zones 5-9 in summer, but it says that it is an annual in colder climates. I hope your new plant does beautifully for you!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's mine, see the tops starting to turn color, it's just now starting tobloom, can'twait.

kathy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

KathyAnn I will look forward to hearing how it overwinters in the greenhouse. It is such a beautiful plant. I look at your picture and can just smell the fragrance.

Linda ~ Good for you! I am sure you will enjoy this one. Reading your first link makes me think it is our 100+ degree days that cause its' demise. I think mine is melting again. I hope it will come back from roots.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh my gosh, I've yet to stick my nose tomine, goin there now

I'll have to remember to take notes on it this winter

Ohhh I am a toucher, feeler, smeller in the garden. I call it my scratch 'n sniff plant collection. Hope you like it Kathy Ann, if not, I'll gladly take it off your hands... ; )))

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I keep it in the shade in the summer down here.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

my tag says it needs full sun. mine seems to do so much better being in the sun.

kathy

Here, I opt for morning sun, afternoon shade. Oddly enough, nothing else changes but when the high temps/humidity gets here it fades. I must be doing something wrong if you don't have a problem DMJ, especially in the heat/humidity you have...

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

All my mints, oreganos, and thymes spend the harshest months (most of June, July, Aug, half of Sept) in the shade--that tides them over, then back into the sun for the winter; except for some of the mints. Shade in TX is very under-rated.
DJ

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

DJ I really need to put my mint pots in the shade as well, seems if I water them right before the sun dries them up , they still need water at the end of the day, I think the shade will be better on them, their all rootbound in 4 in pots, and need watered almost twice a day, Thanks for the tip, I think we'll go move them now, my son will not thank you though LOL
Now to find some shade that the water hose can reach

Shade does make all the difference, when we left for 10 days, I moved all the plants into shade, potted up those that needed it and took my chances on their survival rather than trust someone to water. I have left a lot of them in the shade as they did so well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.