A Welcome Sight in my Wild Front Yard

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

It just started out as a little green ball of a plant. I left it there since I'm not pulling weeds until I decide if I like them or not. When I pull weeds that I don't care to have in my yard, mind you, my yard only consists of no more than 3/4 acre on my total of 5.

The tall grass is some that is growing here naturally and the grass in question is the one in front lower with all the red blooms on it.

2 pictures

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's a closer view of the plant.

Thanks,
Molly
:^)))))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Molly, I haven't a clue, but I love looking at your plants - gives me a whole new world of wild stuff to think about. That is neat.

Kathleen, Thanks, I like it too. It's a very pretty grass and adds some nice color.

Molly
:^)))

Las Cruces, NM

It's not a grass. Unfortunately I don't know what it is. When the flowers open it should be easier to ID...

Patrick Alexander

I just went out and looked at the state of bloom. No different than when I took the photos. I'll keep an eye on it and post a pic here when that changes.

Molly
:^)))

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Got my curiosity aroused too...
Debbie

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Molly, did you ever find out what the plant was, or is? I am curious too.
Josephine.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

weeds in the desert don`t look that pretty

Haven't a clue what they were. It's clear by now they were annuals because they died back. The photo with the red buds, were the blooms as far as I could tell, they never turned into anything else.

I really do like them and plan to let them stay for as long as they want.

Molly
:^))))

Scottsdale, AZ

I wish I had the option to let things just grow if I like them bt my town issues tickets to anyone who does that. No "wild" landscape is allowed and it's not a subdivision thing, it's the town!

Awwwww Jude, that's way too bad. There are a lot of very pretty wild things growing anywhere and everywhere I bet.

I was thinking today as I was driving home looking at the neighboring parcels of property. Some people totally clear their land, put their houses in and planty a few trees and a patch of grass.
All the junk that they collect in their yards is completely visible to people passing by in their cars.

Now me, I left as many trees as I possibly could, am letting the wildflowers come back and when this redneck piles things in the front yard, it won't bother no body but me. Cause no one else can see it.

:^)))))

Molly, the reason I was wondering is because we have a plant here in Texas that looks a lot like your plant when the buds are closed. The buds open with the daylight but close at night. Here is the link, maybe you have a different form of the plant. It is called Slender Gerardia and the foliage sure looks like yours.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2001/index.html
Josephine.

Josephine,

Thanks for trying, but mine is a bit different. The foliage on mine is a bit more wirey and they never bloomed any flowers, at least not like that. Those sure are pretty though,
Molly

Well it was a good try, I hope you find out sometime, maybe ask one of the locals.
Or you might dmail Floridian, she takes a lot of Florida native plant pictures and she might know.
Josephine.

Josephine,

I am one step ahead of you on one of the best sources of natives. Floridian has been here a couple times, maybe 3, taken pictures and helped me to identify many many plants.

I cave her a pine tree seedling that turned out to be a liatris blazing star. It surprised both of us.

I'll keep looking and will post here if I come up with an answer.

Molly
:^))))

Well, what a coincidence!!! I just met her at the College Station swap last mont, she is very nice.
That is very funny about the pine tree turned liatris, but they do look a lot the same when they are little.
I hope you get to slove the riddle.
Josephine.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

It looks like an asparagus fern to me.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Me thinks asperagus too.....dwarf variety.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.