Propagating Kwanza Cherry Trees

Jamestown, KY

I have been trying to propagte these trees under a mist system, using a coarse sand as my growing medium, not having much luck. Anyone have any experience with these trees?
Thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know anything about propagating those trees specifically, but I don't think sand would really be a good medium for rooting any sort of cuttings--you want something that drains well but retains some moisture, and while sand drains very well it won't retain moisture at all. You'd probably be better off with a mixture of peat/perlite or something like that--I would browse around some of the other threads on the forum for suggestions.

Jamestown, KY

Thanks ecrane3, I am trying tests of different growing mediums now, my sand is very coarse, I think if anything it is staying too wet!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Sand can be an excellent propagation medium depending on what type plants. Succulents do well for me in sand and I know people who swear by it for cane begonias. I've also heard people who use it for azaleas. Try different mediums and see what works.

I've searched the web for your question on cherry propagation and a lot of sites say it is impossible and you should do grafting while others say cuttings on their own rootstocks will be a lot healthier. You might want to wait until late fall and try hardwood cuttings as well.

A guy down in Macon, GA. is responsible for all the Yoshino cherries about that town and their festival is suppose to be as grand as D.C. (so the story goes) and I think they were all started with cuttings. It would be nice to find out his methods.

Jamestown, KY

Don't suppose you know his name? I just checked my original test trees, I did seven under mist and four have roots, the rest do not look very good. Will wait and see, they are about two weeks behind the rest. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.