Will Red Hot Pokers Start From Seed?

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I have huge dried spikes filled with seedpods leftover from my Red Hot Pokers that just finished blooming.Has anyone ever had any luck starting them from seed?Also should I split my plants to thin them out? They are getting VERY thick with tons of baby plants shooting out around them.What time of year is the best to split and transplant?Thanks!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, I've started them from seed before. If you do expect it to take at least a year before they gain in size. (I sell many different kinds of plants and usually RHP takes about two years to get up to a decent selling size.)

Why not do both? Start some from seeds and also divide your big one. Divisions are much faster to work with and not only gain size fast but also flower sooner.

Shoe.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh good.Thanks for the advice.I will do both.I will have so many divisions to pass around to my friends and it should be fun growing them from seed too.Thanks Again!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

RHP self sow in my garden. If you leave some seeds on the plant and let nature do it's stuff you'll very likely get some volunteers. I watch for them then transplant them into containers while they're still young plants. It's the easiest way I've found to share them.

Joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.