BLACK GOLDMINE!!!!!

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

Well I have been dying to share this with the rest of you filth farmers out there. I recently finally finished shredding the tons of oak leaves that were on my proprty from the previous owner, when a suspicion of mine was confirmed. After removing the semi-inground pool years ago, they dumped all the oak leaves year after year into the hole left behind. The worms thought they died and went to worm paradise. Here is what I have been mining from this spot:

Thumbnail by Wormboy
Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

This is what it looks like after being mined. I just want to burrow right in!! I AM THE RICHEST MAN ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Wormboy
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Some people just are blessed and you wormboy are to be blessed for many years with that gold mine. Well done for discovering you fortune!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

"I just want to burrow right in!!"

Wormboy, you have officially earned your handle.

With serious envy,
Zeppy

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

How fun, to reap something like that from someone else's laziness! You've really been blessed by the worm goddess.

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you all, I am very excited. My wife couldn't quiete understand my enthusiasm. Give me shout if any of you are in the area and you can bring home a bucket!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I'm sorry, wormboy, but you have to send a gallon of it to everyone who replies to this post. It's the law.

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

Only if you send me some real TX BBQ Ribs LOL

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

For a yankee, you know a goooooood bargain!

Denver, CO

Ooooo. How does it smell? Good?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

The compost? Or the barbecue? ;)

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

It is so rich and crumbly. If anyone wants to come and make compost angels with me, I understand. I want to make air fresheners. What do you think? A brown air freshener that smells like richhhhh compost. Ahhhhhhhh.
I think it would be a smash with gardeners.

Kalamazoo, MI

LOL

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

you are so lucky, i would trade a kid for a pile like that. man i am jealous, nearly ticked off. enjoy your good fortune!

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

..ummmm...sorry crazy, but thats only pile 1 of 3. Hey, maybe I can trade all three and have a ready made family! How many you got?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wormboy, You are too much!
You may be the only person on DG who has enough compost. Good for you!

Denver, CO

Wormboy, I'm coming right over. Then we can make compostmen by rolling great clods of it into balls, eh? Then you can grow a carrot in it for a nose. Will I be patted down when I leave to ensure I've not taken any?
I think that is the largest home vermicompost I know of. When you use it up (if you can bear to) will you refill it and do it again? ("Do it again, Do it again!" the kids all say...)

I claim that I have enough compost. I think my record was seven large piles. Just five now.
K

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

What good is compost,if you don't use it??? And how long does it take to leach out the nutrients,after it is made?? Its like having your cake,and.........Mike

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahh the pride of man kind, thinking we can choose a place for Gods design. We think we create. But only the bugs, bacteria, worms and funguys can claim the act. We only participate in what would have happened any way in the land fill. We are but a ant bringing the food to the compost. LOL

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Soferdig you are too funny "We are but an ant bringing the food to the compost"

Wormboy - hate to tell you but that compost is ill gotten gains. As a Official Compost Inspector I will have to confisicate, seeings how I am a government official I am sure you understand, we the people of power and corruption cannot allow you peons to have access to gold in such a pure raw form. If we did you would start to expect DC to output something of true value out of all their .....

psst........Brigidlily I am open to all BBQ bribes.

Normally signed off as
MeanQueenNadine
Now
MeanGreenNadine

(green with envy;+{)

Denver, CO

You see, there are too many healthy, thick , plants (result of compost) to apply any more compost until they die down...

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

God I feel so terrible, MQN I have loaded up the trucks and they should be arriving at your house sometime today to start dumping. Just tell em where to put it, I guess the evidence locker?
James
I have the base of the compost-man rolled, get here already...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Just a note that my well went dry and in my 1 1/2 acre raised beds with composted ammendments I have been without water for over 2 weeks and the beds are thriving except for a few sensitive exposed ones. Astilbe, hosta, pulmonaria, and a couple of others are suffering only because these are exposed until my sumac overstory completes the shading needed. We now have limited water so only the sensitive ones get the drink they need. Oh I am making a list of the hearty xeriscape ones to choose these next time I need to fill in a bed with new plants. I love compost, wood chips, and clay to keep the soil moist. We have left the grass long, almost to seed and not mowed anything. Still green. This is the most affected area and only cause it is exposed to hot sun in the afternoon. Overstory not fully grown.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Soferdig, Your garden is a testament to the benefits of compost! But tell me, how are you drinking & bathing? Lots of woodchips, compost & clay?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We have water but only for personal use until the Aquacoel fills more. Can't draw off the area until the water table trickles back into the area of our well. We can't see it so we are hand watering max of 2 hours a day only to the sensitive children.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I love it. Look for wilting.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes and on the trees I look for leaf curl. This year I had planted a lot of fruit trees and they were bare roots but the soil seems to be holding to a once a week wetting. Yes my DW and I have a mud pit to get clean in. We share it with the butterflies and bees. LOL
This is a Sambucus Racemosa that is in direct sun from 12 until sunset and it is happy. One of the most exposed areas of my garden. Please note I have a lot of over story of Ponderosa pines to protect the areas of concern.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a beautiful tree! I looked it up on PlantFiles, sounds to me like a good 'indicator' for how dry things are, like it would be among the first to show signs of wilting.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have been photographing all my beds to see the first ones to show stress. Then I can leave off the irrigation until I see that one in the future suffering. It will give me a good handle on irrigation minimal needs.

Hebron, KY

Wormboy,

We'll ALL be over! WE WANT IT! lol

Lucky you! Bet the birds want your worms too! lol

er, they probably been eating them all this time! lol :-))

Marilyn

Hope, BC(Zone 7a)

I think it's hilarious how excited gardeners can get over something like well rotted leaves...LOL..It truly is like gold, precious as our own children, something to dance about!!! My DH would never understand such excitement, but it's nice to know there are others in the world just like me!!! ( Except that I am cursed to have to buy each and every morsel of compost in my new-subdivision-over-pure-rock yard!!)

Wormboy, you must have done something really nice in a previous life ;-) .....

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

Actually iluvmygarden, I think that I was a worm in my previous life. Thats why I love it so much.
I built a compost sifter based on plans I found from a link on DH, and I have been sifting this stuff and using the sifter gold (oooo so good) as top dressing around my emergent plants. Its like a slow release fertilizer. I can feel the plants go ahhhhhhh as it touches them.
The sifting workes well. I return the little wood chips and acorns and other larger stuff onto the compost pile for further refinement. My ultimate goal is to sift a large pile of it and spread it on the lawn. My soil really needs the amendment. The silt makes it harden like cement.
But believe me, I am grateful for the leaves. I know it will take work each year vacuuming and shredding to keep this up, but oh the pay is fantastic. Now if I can just safely grown bamboo for a constant supply of stakes for the garden.....

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Wormboy!!! You have to be one fine person to have the same birthday as me.

Judy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Wormboy: You have made us all jealous! You would laugh at the small amount of compost I produce in a year.

Sofer: Have you gotten all this precipitation that we keep hearing about in the Pacific northwest? Seems like the storms would blow your way. My son lives in Seattle and emailed pics of the snow they got a couple of days ago. He said people were freaking out over less than an inch of snow in Seattle because, of course, they rarely see any. But they got record breaking precipitation for Nov., mostly as rain of course.

Karen

Pioneer, CA

Wow, your soil will be fabulous this year. Lucky guy!!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Karen I have not gotten the rain in Montana but only what we need. Mostly snow. But I have been working in Seattle during the deluge in Nov and worked on days off with flood victims. The church I visit there closed the doors on sunday to go into the community to help those who needed it. After 2 days a community of 60 homes destroyed by floods was completly restored and cleaned up. FIMA was quite impressed how fast all was done. Many people were without housing and lost everything. But we had a buddist temple working with the christian church to come up with all needs. Money, medical assistance, veterinary care, housing, care for the elderly who had no one and were quite in shock, all through hundreds of people cooking, home repairs, building temporary storage sheds, and pulling trailor skirts, insulation from soon to be condemed trailors all helped this community that was flooded. I think that some areas got over 20" rain in 2 weeks, and in the mountains more.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, Sofer, that's rough. But I'll tell you this -- people get a lot more help a lot quicker from neighbors than from the gov't. Hurricane Rita made that clear. Just another argument for self-reliance. Bless you for pitching in.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have never expected the gov to help me when something like this happens. But who knows maybe that is some of their purpose.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It should be, but their track record doesn't prove it. Then again, if they'd put competent, responsible people in charge of offices such as fema, things would get a lot better. SO many people came down to help after Rita, and a lot of them just sat around, spending their own money for hotels, etc., just because they wanted to help -- because fema wasn't organized enough to do what they should have been doing and wouldn't let anyone else just roll up sleeves and get to work! It was amazing.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

That is all I did when I got at the scene I was the first one who started contacting the people affected and found the needs and when the others started arriving I just directed them to what needed to be done. Meanwhile the Fema guys were just watching. Finally They came to me and asked what was needed and I told them we needed large dumpsters, Bucket tractors, Dry storage, Food tents for the workers etc and boom they were there. I seemed to me that all the county needed to get things going was a decision. Well being a business owner and veterinarian I had no trouble there. Ha Ha. When we got done at the end of the evening all being done we had time to talk and the County emergency agent said that I could have a job any day. Of course I told him that I couldn't work for a gov agency or I would go crazy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.