Ground Layering Cotinus coggygria?

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi,

I have a Cotinus coggygria('Royal Purple') that has 3 branches that are very close to the ground. The thickness of these branches are about that of a pencil, and they are about half an inch from the ground. Is ground layering a good option to try in this case? I am planning to use 1 gallon containers cut in half to anchor these branches in till they root (i.e I am going the wound the branch, apply root hormone, and then anchor the branch into the container so that it is easier to separate when the branches root).
Do you think this is feasible? What kind of soil should I be using in these cutoff containers?

Or should I not try ground layering and go with air layering instead? What is the approximate rooting time for Cotinus coggygria?
Any information and other pointers will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
xman

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey xman,...I've used a similar technique which I've always considered an "modified" air layer....using a cut down container with two slots 180 degrees apart to allow
the "limb" to lie within the rooting media...then capped with another cut down container filled with rooting media,....to make a "ball" of rooting media for the layer.
Sphagnum moss,...peat,...fine potting soil,...perlite...
different plants work better in some than other medias.
Just need to keep the media moist since the "container" isn't sealed like a normal "air layer".
I've layered many different plants this way. Usually keeping the layer within the confines of the "parent" plant's container...similar to the arrangement you described with your plant. Good luck, Lee

I can't offer any comments about the Cotinus

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I wanted a cotinus that my brother-in-law had and so I pulled off the leaves on a distal location of 3 branches Less than 1/2 " diameter and layered it in the soil he had. The next summer when I went back I had 3 rooted smoke bushes to bring from Michigan to Montana and all 3 are thriving. I do this with many bushes and vines at my house so I don't spend any more money on the same plant.

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

WillisTxGarden, Soferdig,

Thanks for your replies. I layered three branches into containers today. Hopefully they will root.
How do I know they have rooted successfully? should I check by removing the soil a little in 4 weeks or so?
In case they root, should I leave them attached to the mother plant till next spring or can I seperate them after a couple or 3 months?

thanks,
xman

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I left mine for 6 months or more. Then I cut the branch at its proximal end (closest to mother tree) leaving it in the ground another month then transplant.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't have any idea what the "minimum" time will be required for the root growth to be enough to support the new plant once detached....that's relative to the size of the branch being layered...I guess. I would allow at least 4-6 weeks before examining the "root area" of the layer.....carefully moving the rooting soil...as you mentioned. Use your own judgement on determining the time to detach from the parent....the longer the layer is left attached ,...the larger the new root ball will grow,..try watering the "layer containers" with "willow water" or some other root-growth stimulator solution to assist the development....(I'd keep the solution on the weak side).
As you probably already know,....different plants are easier to layer than others....I'd use Soferdig's experience with Cotinus - layering as a guideline....but part of the fun of propagating is learning the secrets of different methods,....different plants individual characteristics....so good luck with your layers!

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Update on this thread. Last week I cut off the three airlayers (ground layering actually) off from the mother plant as I had sold my house and had to move. The roots had actually filled the cutoff 1 gallon containers that I had used. I transplanted them into full 1 gallon containers, its been a week since and they seem to be doing great ( the leaves are all still nice, none of the leaves have shrivelled or dried).

Looks like I have three nice small royal purple smoke bushes, a nice consolation since I had to leave the tree with the house when I sold it.

thanks,
xman

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Easy as falling off a log! Congrats on your layers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.