How do you collect seeds from Astilbe Plants?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I search the seed site and couldn't find what the seeds look like. So I am asking here, does anyone know? Are they the dried up Flower?
Where oh where can they be :o)

Connie

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'd like to know also????? anyone to answer? Thanx

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Well all i know is this...
Sow seeds straight away as it has a short viability. Seed may need winter treatment. Cover with perlite or vermiculite seed germinate's at 18oC after 6-8wks.
Sorry i can't help more.
Mike

(Zone 7a)

I'm wrestling with the question, too. Astilbes have self-sowed in my garden in the past over the winter, so I'll bet they could be propagated by the winter-sowing technique (See Winter Sowing Forum on DG). Many times, I have just laid a branch of something that had gone to seed on the ground in my garden like catnip or jack-in-the-pulpit, and seedlings would appear in that spot the following spring.

Right now in my garden, the stalks of astilbes have tiny little elliptical, pointed pods marching up and down the stems where the flowers were. They are still green. I think I'll have to wait until they are crispy brown, then place them in a paper bag somewhere dry. Because there are very tiny brown specks coming out of the pods which are still in the green state now, I suspect the pods will open all by themselves in the bag; but gently rubbing the stalks and then putting them back in the bag and shaking it might facilitate breaking the seeds loose from the pod.

My answer is just guesswork right now - hopefully will know more by next spring.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Did anyone find the answer and have good luck with astilbe seeds?

Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

ya know i was wondering that also. i'm gonna check my plants tomarrow see if i can figure it out and see what all i have out there with seeds or pods.
silkie

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Silkie - I have left a lot of dried flower stalks on the plants to wait to see how to do this. I have cut some and put them into a mesh bag too. We'll see!! Good luck!

Crozet, VA

I am interested in finding out the answer also. I have at least one frind who would love to have some seeds.

Thanks everyone.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.