Come sit on the porch a spell

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Silk, I was unsuccessful with Ceonothis also. I am thinking of trying it again in shade, just to see...............

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, oh! Spartacusaby you'll have to show pictures when it does bloom! Do you know how old it has to be before it does?

Back in MN I had transplanted a smaller purple lilac from my MIL and it took 7 years before it bloomed. I had read later that it would take that long for transplants. They weren't kidding. I'll only buy new ones now. LOL

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Have no idea on the age for blooming; wish I did. It was bareroot when I planted it this spring, so knew nothing would happen this year; telling myself to be patient.... I had no idea transplants took that long to bloom; I'm not that patient! Has anyone planted the yellow rhododendron? That's another surprising and beautiful shrub!

Charlotte, NC

Silk Road, your situation caught my eye. My daughter and Son in law bought my mothers home. I sometimes gets hard to keep my mouth shut. When they say they have tried everything to get rid of the fig tree in the back yard, it is real hard not to tell them how hard my Dad worked to get the fig tree to grow. I must remeber it is there house now and not mine anymore. But I do love seeing my Grandaughter grow up in the same house I did.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone! I've been on Dave's a couple of years but kinda petered out on the posting for awhile. Work work work..

Hi Nancy!!!!

I live in Kannapolis and work in Fort Mill, SC. I get to see things blooming TWICE each Spring! That's about all I can say good about my long commute.. *giggle*

I have the usual - veggies, flowers, big fan of grasses, wildflowers, and anything I don't have to baby. Something ate all my Jerusalem Artichokes this year though darn it!!!!

Nancy - the Japanese Beetles have been bothersome for me this year as well. I spot treat with Sevin spray but my favorite thing to do is walk around and burn them with my grill lighter!!! They are my mortal enemy! LOL!! My 4 year old can even recognize them and is all about jumping on them or driving over them with his bike. Now I just need to teach him to pull Morning Glories and I will be set!!

:) Nicole

Grandy, NC(Zone 8a)

Been a while since I checked in. We moved here about 8 months ago; new house and a lot more yard than we intended. I think about 75% of what we planted is still alive and well. The rest died quickly - looked great and suddenly turned brown. I don't know if it was the heat, the heavy rain, the wind, the sandy soil, the bugs, or misdirected sprinkler system. i've had problems with coneflowers, broom, oakleaf hydrangea, spirea, and russian sage. I'm having great success with butterfly weed, butteryfly bushes, coreapolis, postrate yew, nandina, rudebekia and garden blanket (is that the right name) wildflowers.

I'll be glad when it cools off -

Nancy

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

The porch ceiling color is interesting to me. I'm a native South Carolinian, have seen many blue beadboard ceilings on porches, but never heard that shade referred to as Haint Blue before. I was always told Haint Blue was the rather bright blue that we used to see down in the Low Country on houses--the whole house, not the porch ceiling. It was supposed to keep the haints away, though. Never have heard why the porch ceilings were the pretty pale blue; I just thought it was supposed to look like the sky.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

In the NC mtns doors and windows were sometimes painted haint blue. I had to go do a search. It looks like in different regions of NC/SC the blue was painted on anything from windows, door, porch ceilings, to whole houses! Pretty interesting piece of "history", eh?
http://www.google.com/search?q=Haint+Blue&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

edited to add link!
edited for the second time...DG won't let me link! Waaaahhhh! Keeps linking me back here. Will try later.
This message was edited Aug 9, 2006 12:01 PM

This message was edited Aug 9, 2006 12:03 PM

Trying again:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Haint+Blue&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

This message was edited Aug 9, 2006 12:14 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

edited: Never mind, still not working :>(

Okay-dokie...turns out the link may be too long and that's the reason for it not coming through completely.
Just Google "Haint Blue" and it should bring up the page to many many links with stories/reasons for the paint color.
Sorry.

Shoe.

Just gotta try it one more time!
http://tinyurl.com/j65uy

This message was edited Aug 9, 2006 10:35 PM

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is a link to an old mansion with Haint Blue on a wall in the servant's room. http://www.graveaddiction.com/prplsq.html and here is a version of the blue from SC http://robwire.com/?q=node/1132 The color of Haint Blue on my porch ceiling is closer in color to the first picture.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ahah! Thanks to another DGer who mentioned "tiny url" I am now able to post the link I've tried to post so many times before!

http://tinyurl.com/j65uy
Here is the Google page that came up regarding 'haint blue' paint.

Thanks, Magpye!

Shoe.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello new member here. Transplanted Yankee living in Raleigh, NC for almost 12 years. .Still not used to gardening in Carolina clay.. I acre of shade but just chopped down 20 huge pines due to 'Fran fear' .. so I have a new , sunny area and need help.. The sun, hitting long dormant seeds and sunstarved shrubs is causing a jungle of weeds to appear. Maybe y'all can help. Bummer that ya gotta pay to view DG's IDENTIFICATION forum.. That's just plain mean :-)

Welcome, and I know what you mean about the weeds coming up after you clear an area. Around here just pulling a weed disturbs the area and more seeds germinate.

Paying for all the services here at DG is a bargain. Remember, no pop ups and ads are interferring with your garden info pleasure and the friends that I have met here on DG are priceless. Stick around and you'll see what I mean.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep, $15/a year is about the cheapest of my expenses... Not to mention all the plants and seeds I've received over the years. Like most trading members of DG I've made out like a bandit!!!

Nicole

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

nickelnog, A hearty WELCOME TO DG!

As for the weeds, I'm not sure what it is you are asking for. Care to elaborate?

Hope to see you around the site!

Shoe.

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey nickelnog, welcome! I know what you mean about the heat and the weeds. It's crossed my mind to cover the grassy areas with landscape fabric then just spread thick mulch over the whole darn thing. I have to agree with ardesia, too; the more one pulls, the more weeds show up. What drives me nuts the most is weeds in the gravel driveway. I pull every weekend and it's getting old, but I feel compelled to do it anyway.

As far as the $15 a year, just having the advance search ability is worth it to me!

Glad you're here!

I agree, Ms_Carolina, the weeds in the gravel drive are the worst; they grow like mad and I hate to use sprays. Has anyone used the handheld propane weed torch? Blasting the suckers is tempting, especially since there's no neighboring desirable vegetation: it's ALL undesirable in the driveway!

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

Haven't even heard of the weed torch, spartacusaby. Wow... blasting them with a torch would be sweet revenge AND emotionally satisying, too! LOL

We're getting lots of good soaking rain this morning! YEA! I took my umbrella and went out to check our pond; we have a leak somewhere between the pump and the waterfall. Our pond guy will be here on Monday to fix it. The rain is keeping the pond at the right water level. Cool! The littlest fantail goldfish was hiding again in the netting where the pump and filter is... can't count how many times we've saved him during the week he's been here. He is so, so pretty, but he is afraid of the big boys in the pond; the Koi and larger goldfish. I'd like to temporarily "fence off" an area of the pond just for him until he grows a bit bigger. Does anyone have any ideas how we could do that?

So, after I did the pond chores in the rain, I was walking across the gravel drive area in front of the tobacco barn and it has filled with weeds during the week. With umbrella in hand, I start pulling and wow... they pulled up so effortlessly! I kept at it until my butt got soaked from hanging out from under the umbrella. I looked ridiculous when I finally came into the house. I have the waterproof garden clogs, but I need one of those hooded raincoats with a hood. Then I could weed in the rain until I can't bend over one more time!

Ms_Carolina, I've posted on another forum to ask about the weed torch; will let you know if I get any feedback. May just have to try it; no matter how often you weed the darn gravel drive, it never looks any different. They just keep coming...

You could try dropping a length of PVC pipe in the pond that's big enough for the fantail but not the koi, to give him a hiding place. This is also a great way to protect the fish from raccoons, egrets or herons, or other fishing predators.

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

spartacusaby, the PVC pipe is a great idea! Thanks so much!!

I was doing some searching on the weed problem and found ideas on spraying with vinegar, using salt or rock salt, boiling water and a combination of all three. You still have to careful about runoff to other planted areas in some of the cases, but I might just try using vinegar which is safer than RoundUp with Kitty Girl wandering around. But, I've yet to find anything that you could have under the gravel to prevent weeds taking hold in the first place. That's my goal!

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

The Weed Dragon torch works well on our gravel drive. Before that I was using boiling water and handpulling, both of which worked but took a lot more time. I believe the torch actually eradicated several species of dicot weeds. What came back after the first treatment: bermuda grass and violets, predominantly. One must be careful not to get too close to the desirables, though; there is a lot of heat generated and even if you're not pointing the flame at a nearby plant, it can be damaged by the superhot air.

I have always had a lot of trouble with Gripeweed; when I pull it a huge clod of topsoil (which is scarce around here) comes up with it and if I shake the soil off I also shake off those little seeds. It seems impervious to Round Up. I wonder if the weed torch would work with that one. It would have to burn up those seeds too.

Thanks for the input, missgarney; was hoping for a response from someone who'd used the torch. Can't speak for Ms_Carolina's setup, but here the weeds grow primarily up the center of the gravel drive: nearest desirable vegetation is at least 10' away.

Ms_Carolina, I've used plain table salt in the past to kill grass between sidewalk blocks (don't have those here in the country-lol). It works, but takes time since it basically dries out the plant until it dies. With all the thunderstorms we have here in summer, don't think it has a chance; I'd be out salting the driveway every day, and the neighbors probably already think I'm strange....

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

My weeds are primarily on the sides of the driveway, however, the gravel area in front of the barn seems to completely fill in if not quickly attended to. I sprayed a gallon of vinegar yesterday on some of the weeds, so we'll see if that works. The little froggies and other bugs hiding in some of the weeds didn't much care for the vinegar.

Ms_Carolina, please let me know if the vinegar works: if so, it's certainly cheap and environmentally friendly. And don't worry overmuch about the wildlife; remember that they'd like RoundUp or other chemicals much less!

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

It appears to be working! Half of the weeds have fully turned a straw color and are dead!!

Very cool.

Very cool, Ms_Carolina; are you using straight white vinegar, or a dilution?

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

My DH purchased a gallon of white vinegar. I did not dilute it.

Lady's Island, SC(Zone 9a)

I bit the bullitt and bought a Fire Dragon Flame Thower for my driveway weeds,too, It turned out to be a lot like a waffle iron,---use like crazy for awhile, then it gradually makes its way to the back of the cubboard.

The thing was, if you left the flame on long enough, it would kill that weed, the you would have to go to the next one, and the next one, until a weed sprouted next to the first one you killed. It was like painting the golden gate bridge. Endless

Georgia PBS has a program on Tuesday nites at 7:00 called Making it Grow. Their suggestion was to use Preen at least twice a year; not just in spring, Each season has its own set of weeds that germinate, so you've got to address them, too. They indicated that it was the least harmful to the environment, and safe for children and pets.

Better get to that Winnebago sized pile of mulch in my driveway, I wonder how many wheel barrow full is 10 yards???

Happy Gardening
Sandra from South Carolina
Zone 8b

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Nickelnog welcome to NC, My oldest son got married the weekdend of Fran we had the wedding from He#@. This year will be 10 years ago. Time flys.

I have no idea why I have never read this thread before but I am glad now I have. Lots of people in my area.Here and at the Coast also.

Lavina

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

If you love Camellias...

It is HOT again today, isn't it? I'm ready for fall!!

We made a special trip this morning to Camellia Forrest Nursery near Chapel Hill to purchase camellias for the pond/gardens area in back. They had everything I was looking for (April Remembered, April Kisses, April Rose) plus they had Crimson Candles and their b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l October Affair. The camellias are so healthy and beautiful with buds! I'm so excited that I have them and they will be a beautiful backdrop to the gardens! If you looking for a special camellia, I would highly recommend them.

I've also ordered my vines (Carolina Jessamine, Chinese Trumpet Creeper Morning Calm - a coral color, Blue Light Clematis (second try!) and Jasminum Bessianum), a second arbor, Cyclamen for under the oaks, Blue Star, Prairie Phlox and Creeping Phlox, Labrador Violets, Larinum Park Stonecrop and Russian Sage. I'm going to the local nursery for the Fire Nandinas that I'm going to plant between the four Crepe Myrtles and Red Maple tree that form a line across the front yard by the road. It looked a little bare even with the pine needles. The Nandina colors will play off the colors of the Myrtles in bloom and the Maple in the fall, plus provide color all winter. We do also have those Nandinas planted in front of the covered porch, so I think it just might look really nice from the road.

Happy to see you Lavina!

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

Silkroad, Thanks for your thoughts on the Fire Dragon. New weeds still pop up right next to the old ones, huh? Sigh.

I pulled a wheelbarrel full of weeds out of our long driveway last weekend. I only reached less than half. The vinegar works great, but new ones will appear and you still have to pull out the dead ones, too. So, I was thinking... maybe I should combine pulling with spraying. After I pull the weed out, I spray the area it came from with vinegar and maybe, just maybe, block new ones from appearing nearby? I'm sure getting better control of the yard will help, too.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Ms Carolina-Wish I had know you neede Nandinas I dug up 5 in July.
I need to go to Fairview Garden for a plant fix. I also am going to Plant's Delight Sept. the 8th to open house. You ever been there? Its a interesting place.

Lavina

This message was edited Aug 26, 2006 6:13 PM

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

Lavina, No, I haven't been to Plant's Delight. Where is Fairview Garden? By you?

I'm hoping it dries out a bit here so I can make use of a long weekend to get a bunch of yard work done! My arbor arrived as did the beginning of my plant orders, with more coming later.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Ms. Carolina - Hope I'm not butting in here. We put in a little white arbor this year - our first, and we bought it from Lowe's. Had a dickens of a time getting it straight, and then setting the posts in concrete, but it looks nice in our little back yard. We planted Confederate Jasmine on each side, and in short order we have cj's climbing over the top.

The Captain does it, but he isn't wild about yard work, However, he is checking the jasmine every day to see it's progress. And we have started taking a "yard walk" in the late afternoon every day. We take a glass of wine, eat a fig (but they're gone now), check the progress of stuff, and I try not to pull weeds while we're walking but just enjoy what we've been able to do so far. He likes this activity, and we rarely miss a day.

Anyway, I know you'll enjoy your arbor, if you don't already have one.

Entlie

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Woe is me.
After just a week away, I came home to a garden that looks worse than ever. Before I left I dug up about 1/3 of the sick coneflowers and Rudbeckia, leaving a huge bare spot in the center of the side garden. In the border along the driveway, Phlox paniculata "Eva Cullum" succumbed completely to mildew! In a third planting, evil and robust weeds had totally taken over and were literally TOWERING over even the Agastache! I am convinced it would take only a few weeks for the locust trees, commelina weed, and various other grasses and weeds to grow completely up to the walls of this house and obscure the view from the first floor windows. I haven't the heart to go to the garden down the hill to to my fourth space and see what's suffering there.

Know what you mean, missgarney. Doesn't it just seem wrong that the darn weeds are so much more vigorous and hardy than the desirable plants?

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

Entlie - of course you're welcome to join in the conversation any time! After all, we're "sitting on the porch for a spell" :)

I had to laugh when I read about getting your arbor straight and setting the posts in concrete. My DH and I started assembling our arbor late afternoon yesterday. We only got as far as assembling the arch and at the moment we're 1/8 of an inch off square. We'll be back at it today to get it done, but we haven't purchased the cement yet. Our landscaper, Larche, will be putting in the loose rock pathways starting this coming week. I'm not sure we should secure the arbor until he's framed the walkway from the arbor at least. How long does the cement need to dry before it rains?

It sounds like a lovely and romantic ritual you two have for your walk! How sweet! It's cute, too, how Captain is protectively watching over the jasmine. I like the idea of a Confederate Jasmine. Do you know how it's different from the Carolina Jasmine?

I have two Carolina Jasmines and two Chinese Trumpet Creepers (Morning Calm) to plant. Have been thinking about planting one of each on opposing sides on the new arbor to provide color early and midseason. Our first arbor is located on one side of the house was here when we purchased our home. I did plant climbing roses on either side of that a year ago, but it only blooms once in Spring. Am thinking about adding the other creeper to that, then planting the other jasmine to climb on one of the side fences adjoining that arbor. I have lovely visions of how this all will look in my mind, but I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for a lot of maintenance prunning. I don't mind maintenance work, but if it's an uphill battle like weeds are, then this should be reconsidered.

Well, the morning light has finally appeared so out I go to plant 21 Firepower Nandinas. Wish me luck! DH walked into the bricks on the fireplace hearth and he has a swollen right foot, so he can't help with the planting this weekend!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Ms Carolina - Yes, I barely know that there's a difference between Carolina and Confederate Jasmine. Carolina is yellow, isn't it? I had Star Jasmine when we lived on the west coast, and it smelled so wonderful, but was slow growing, at least in the spot where it lived at our place.

We bought two bags of quick-set concrete at Lowe's, and used 1/2 bag to make an umbrella stand (that's another story about an instant project that turned into a week long ordeal). We used about 1 1/2 bags to set the arbor posts. I'm attaching a photo, and it really is straight, but from some angles it doesn't look it.

We planted two Confederate Jasmine on each side. One side is crawling quickly to the top - the other side is stumpy and the tendrils are dying at the top. Now I see signs of scale! Wishing to not to pass this along to it's little friends, we are going to take them out and back to Lowe's, where we got them. Molly, the head gardener there, said she'd exchange them for me, and she just got a new shipment.

My daughter, Stacy (a very active DG'er "sstateham") gave us the little face in the left hand corner. And we are thinking of painting the fold-up adirondack chair plumbago blue, because there are plumbagos planted behind it. What do you think?

Lastly, I thought I'd mention our neighbors, who have a plain wood arbor and a white arbor, neither of which is planted permanently, and they move them around their yard. They always look ok and I didn't know they weren't concreted in until they confessed.

Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Please, please, please everyone! It's Carolina Jessamine, not Jasmine. The Confederate is Jasmine. Carolina Jessamine is yellow, grows wild, climbs like crazy, and is poisonous. Confederate Jasmine has white fragrant blooms. It blooms later than Carolina Jessamine and needs more support. I think it's also a little less cold-hardy.
I guess this is why my godmother always insisted on botanical names! Unfortunately, I don't remember too many of them.
Thanks.
Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.