Dragonfruit support and care

OK, finally. This plant may be thirty years old. It's collaring a Christmas Palm that's about 20 feet tall. The ONE fruit, haha, is at about five feet off the ground. It is having a third flush of buds since June. It's grown into the 25 foot tall orange tree next to it, but I'll have to get on the roof of the house to get a photo, maybe. Both trees are on the edge of a dropoff that's too steep for me to walk on. The root is nearly two inches thick. If someone were to chop the whole plant and haul it away, they'd need a full sized pickup truck. There are ariel roots to the ground from the top of the beast, above twenty feet high. I've seen this plant growing to the top of a huge casuarina? tree, had to be eighty feet tall. They generally don't set fruit here, boooo.

Thumbnail by

Thumbnail by

YAY!!! ONE fruit, I hope. But now everyone hates me. Maybe I shouldn't have posted! LOL.

Thumbnail by
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Really nice pictures, now when the fruit has ripen, send it over to NY, hee hee

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Neat pictures, Molamola! I got fruit on mine too. I had to leave a big one behind when I moved, but I still have one that I have to plant and stake.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I need help....I've had my dragon fruit plant for the past two years growing up my oak tree in the back yard.....it's gone so high that I can't even reach it now. Sadly I've never seen a fruit. Could it be that there isn't as much sun there because of the tree? Should I cut it down and move it?

As cool as it looks up the tree (very ghostly) I just want a fruit.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I would try fertilizing it on a regular basis for at least a year before cutting it down, and you could also start new plants in different growing conditions with cuttings from it. Try a balanced fertilizer or one high in potassium.

The fruit on mine had white insides and the flavor of water. Since the flower has zero fragrance, the plant will eventually be banned, taken to the side of some new road to grace a roadbank.

Google, and you can find nurseries that sell varieties with red interiors and good flavor.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Clare for the suggestions, I actually don't think I'd have the heart to cut the whole thing down, and will probably do as you suggested and take cuttings. I'll look for high potassium fertilizer also and throw my banana peels on it.

Molamola, so sad that yours didn't taste nice, I hate when you pamper a plant for so long and it doesn't reward you with what you expected.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from stressbaby :
Here is what I ended up with. Do you think it will work?

I like your setup. I'll have to try something like that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.