Species Lily

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

A friend of mine, while building his house here in the county, found these barely missed by a bulldozer, and gave me a couple while moving them. Only 1 returned this year (I suspect voles) with 1 bloom. Any help with an id would be greatly appreciated, as I keep flip-flopping on what I think it is. A charming bloom the hummers love.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Another view:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The side:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

And last:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Can't ID it. Have been trying. GHow about a picture of the entire plant - even though am sure bloom is long gone. Very pretty
inanda

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I've seen this before, but where I'm not sure. Inanda, did you check out on Pacific Rim?

I thought maybe it was tsingtuense, but it's not. tsing has 7 petals and is not as mottled as yours. I found this great website on species. Maybe it will help ID your lily.

http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/index.html

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hmmm... where's the foliage? Let's assume it is native to Kentucky. I'm thing along the lines of canadense red form or michauxii.

I think it is Lcanadense var editorum or some unknown variety of L canadense.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Certainly seems to have canadense "blood" in it. Canadense is a very variable species. But I am not willing to commit yet. Are there any natural crosses known in the eastern half of the U.S.? Let's see the foliage. At any rate it is a MOST EXCELLENT form! I hope you are going to save seed?

Beaker, L. tsingtauense doesn't have 7 petals. Sometimes it can fool you because of the unusual petal layout. Tsingtauense is also an Asian sp. This is mine.

Rick

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm working on getting a good shot of the leaves, except the leaves on mine look ratty this year for some reason, and not typical of when they looked healthier. They occur in whorls around the stem, 2 1/2-3" long, and about 3/4" wide. There are usually 5-6 leaves per whorl. I'm planning to go to my friend's house where they're growing wild to get some good pics of the leaves and of them growing in a group. Thanks for all your thoughts :)

Leftwood, L.tsingtauense is beautiful! Love that orchid-like form.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Till I get pics of them in the wild, here are the cruddy leaves of mine:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hmm.... Save the seed. save the seed.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, poo! I just checked and no seed pod. I'll check with my friend who gave it to me. Out of all those on his land there should be plenty of seed.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 12 seed pods! Now, who all have I promised seed to?

Well, you didn't promise me any, but I was the first to mention saving seed. (please please please?) Wish I had puppy dog eyes.

I feel a "gloriosoides" reaction coming on . . . yup, the saliva is welling up . . .

drip ---slobber --- drip

Rick

P.S. Soon I will have open pollenated martagon seed to share of:
L. martagon 'Claude Schride' x 'Terrace City'/'Super Tsing'/tsingtauense
L. martagon 'Terrace City' x 'Claude Schride'/'Super Tsing'/tsingtauense
L. (martagon x tsingtauense)'Super Tsing' x 'Claude Schride'/'Terrace City'/tsingtauense
tsingtauense did not set seed (I only have one flowering clone as of yet)
and maybe
L. lankongense x ?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Gemini.

Seed please, just a few if you have any left. I'm determined to find out what it is. Just HATE being foxed by a lily.
inanda

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I have canadense-same shape but it hangs down, is yellow orange and less spots. But what do you think of this var. coccineum? Did any of them hang down?

http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/images/Lilium/canadense%20coccineum4.jpg

Here's my canadense.

Thumbnail by boojum
Poland, ME

Man, oh man, I would give my light arm to have that lily boojum. I have been looking for that for a long time. L canadense flavum, I believe.

Ah-- this post reminded me to check my baggie of L. canadense v. coccineum and wow! 2 sprouts! I started them in Feb and did the warm/cold/warm thing and for some reason I wasn't holding out much hope for success because I read they were difficult. I just took them out of the fridge about a week or so ago and voila! Now I will probably kill them lol.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Am I getting any seed from you Gemini -hope hope
inanda

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

You clever thing.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Neil, any seed left for me, Maxine??

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Inanda, Rick, Maxine, Yes! I've got plenty for all of you! I had tried to reply a couple of days ago to let Inanda and Rick know I had y'all on the list, but these crazy monsoon-like storms we've been getting kept knocking me off line. We got over 6" of rain last week! I'm in the addy exchange, so just send SASE and I'll fill 'em when the seeds are good and dry.

When and how do you experienced lily seed growers think is best for these. I've never done lilies from seed, so I hope I'm not in over my head with this project, but it never hurts to try. I have done the cool, warm alternating treatment successfully with hardy geranium seeds before; would that be the way to go?

Pard, or shall I say 'the amazing Pard', lol. Would you like some more to try?

Thanks, gemini, but I'll pass on it I have tons of seeds (slight exageration of course!). Don't forget to store your excesss lily seeds dry in the freezer where they should last a very long time.

I will get back later today on how I started them. Just reviewed my notes and they are confusing lol...

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Can I get some? I was afraid you might not have so many. I could trade you some canadense seeds. I'm sure pardalinum knows best but I often put half the seeds in pots outdoors and some go in the fridge till I pot em. That's what I've done with species beardless iris. It gives you a higher probability of propagation.

L. canadense seed needs a warm/cold/ warm cycle so fall planting should work ok. I started mine inside on 2-25, put them in the fridge in mid June, and brought them out last week. I believe the first warm period is important as this is when it grows a little bulblet. The vernalization or cold cycle prepares it to put up a leaf when it warms again. Since I started mine in the spring instead of the fall it looks like I will be growing them under lights all winter.

Boojum makes a good point-- don't put all your eggs in one basket!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Sure boojum, I'll put you on the list, but I do believe these are L.canadense too. But still something you may want to try as the species do vary a bit, and yours looks to have more yellow than these.

I love the idea of helping to perpetuate these beauties. Their native habitats are being encroached upon rapidly and it's great to help save them.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

That is what the Species Group is all about. Saving the species, in this case lilium species. Habitats are being demolished by construction, dams, (think Brazil and China)

Go to (I think)
http://www.lilies.org/splg.html

This is a world wide group dedicated to saving species.

Gemini, if you have seed left over, you might want to send it to the Species group with your pictures for them to grow on.

inanda

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Great idea inanda!

OMG, I thought I asked permission to copy of your pics, Gemini, to ask someone who would know, but I don't see it on this thread! I remember typing it up. It must be on some other thread, confusing those poor souls, and making a mockery of me! Anyway, I did it (sorry) and this is the result:

Just got back from the North Star Lily Society meeting. Great presentation. The speaker, Warren Summers is a hybridizer with a special interest in species. His talked focused on Japanese lily species and their use in early hybridizing. Had pics of a lot of wild varieties of the different species. Since I tend to be a species man, it was especially interesting.

To the discussion at hand, I showed Mr. Summers the pics of your mystery lily, Gemini. He did identify it as a straight species Lilium canadense. But an o so pretty one.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rick! You did ask about using the pic; I thought it was here too, but maybe in dmail. Anyhow, I said yes, lol.

Oh that's right, I did D-mail you about it. Thanks for restoring my sanity!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Bumping this to see how your lily is going this year.
Gemini_Sage
inanda

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

One of the two I had returned this year; I think the other was vole food. Its still at the old garden, so not sure if its budding or not. None of the seeds I've sown have shown yet, have any of yours?

Remember they are delayed hypogeal germinating. If you planted them last fall and gave them sufficient time to produce a tiny bulb before giving them a cold treatment, then theoretically, they should be up.

Me, I guess I just have way to many plant projects going on at once. I got yours planted on 12-3-06, and finally put them in the frig on 5-1. Considering that temperature hovers above 32F (water can freeze in the back of my frig), rather than going into a deep freeze, I wager now should be just right to take them out. Thanks for the reminder!

Tally Ho, and off to the frig!

Neal, yours were part of a batch of seed from my own martagons: Terrace City, Super Tsing, xmarhan and a martagon mix from a trade. As mentioned before, they were planted in the house on 12-3-06 where they would hopefully produce their tiny little bulbs. They were then put in the frig on 5-1-07. On July first, the five pots went outside in the shade, and amazingly, all emerged within a 3 day stretch - 7-15 to 7-17, except yours.

Checking daily for any sign of the missing-in-action Lilium canadense, my anticipation built as days progressed, and then wained. Surely with all this heat, the growth rate would be at least double that of the spring season. I am usually a very patient man, but this, coupled with my own prior stupidity, made me quite uneasy. (And the thought crossed my mind that the 80-90+ degree days might also be a detriment.) Incrementally, my excitement turned to thoughts of failure. But yesterday, yesterday your first Lilium canadense emerged, and today several others. Huzzah !

Now you don't have to tell me about my horribly late and drawn-out timing with these seeds, and especially with them being martagons and your canadense (lilies known to prefer cooler temperatures). But it is what it is, and as so many of you already know, I don't sugar coat my follies. And so my anecdotes become better learning tools.

The end

My canadense seedlings all croaked.

The end

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry.

I don't feel very bad. I prefer easy lilies to grow but I'm always game to try something different.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.