Hardy Geranium Propagation by Cuttings?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone--

I have several hardy geranium plants--not the commonly known annual red pelargoniums--that I would like to try to propagate by cuttings for my own garden.

The varieties are "Orion", "Rozanne" and "Brookside".

I have read that certain 'cutting' propagation techniques are more successfull than some others for these particular Hardy Geraniums, however no details were given.

Has anyone been successful with propagating these? Do you have any tips to share?

thank you very much. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Spider07 has lots of experience w/ pelargoniums- if she doesn't respond here there is a forum for geranium I believe or you could send her a dmail. She's a real sweetheart and I am sure would share whatever info and experience she has. Feel free to tell you that I suggested her as a resource.
April

Lilburn, GA

Hi Tabasco,

I did divide mine, I do not think the cuttings wil root. I never tried it but division is a sure and easy way to propagate them. You can see little plantlets developing by the old crowns so you separate them and pot themn up.

good luck!

Awww April, you are a lovely peep yourself!

Lilburn, GA

Forgot to sya that you can do root cuttings on them. You have to dig them up and choose young thik roots. you cut them up in say 3 inches and pot them up. It is a slow method but little plants will pop up .

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much.

I have divided the plants in the past to make more, but maybe I will try root cuttings, (although I am not familiar with that method.) Maybe i will google for that.

I wanted lots of hardy geraniums (orion especially) for next spring to fill in around my daylilies.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

I knew that she'd know!

Lilburn, GA

I am posting about hardy geraniums propagation on the geraniums forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.