Aristolochia Fimbriata question

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

How do you germinate these seeds, and is it the right time to be doing this?

Thanks in advance,
PiggyPoo :0)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi PIggy! I just started soaking some :-) I'm soaking for 2 days then surface sowing, wish me luck! Hopefully if this is wrong someone will pop up and help us both LOL I'm sowing them inside....I figure by the time they're big enough to go outside, it won't be such a furnace out there and they should have a good chance of getting strong by the time it's cold in November.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That's exactly how I was hoping to start mine. I think I'm going to try putting a touch of hydrogen peroxide in my water, as I heard it helps boost germination. I recieved a lot of seeds today in the mail, so hopefully something will work! :) I am going to the sale at DS tomorrow morning and picking up some A. watsonii. They "said" they will have some, but they've been telling me that for 2 months now. "we'll have some in a month"...Piggy calls. "oh, we'll have some in a month"...Piggy calls AGAIN!! "oh, we'll have some for the plant sale on Saturday" Piggy IS going down there!!

If this is wrong, will someone PLEASE help us :)

Begging!!
PiggyPoo

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL I hope you get one! Marie is going to send me seeds for that one, I hope I can grow them :-) Want that one very much. Have fun shopping!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

Just don't give up on them. They can be very slow to germinate.
Patsy

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Patsy, I will try :-(

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

az, maybe that's why DS was taking so long to have some for sale??

Patience? Ugh!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I bet you're right! They do their own propagating there don't they?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't give up on it--Aristolochia's often take 30 days (or longer) to germinate. Some do better with stratification too--I always have much more success winter sowing them; but I have had some germinate this summer too.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes, az, they do all of their propagation right there on their site. I just got back from there. Woohoo!! They had quite a bit of A. Watsonii. I got two of them. And one of them had a seed pod that just burst open, and the other one has one that isn't far behind it. BONUS!!!! I'm really looking forward to working with these seeds :)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, I'm so jealous!!!!!!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Maybe I'll have some babies by November :)

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

az, are your seeds floating???

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yep :-( Is that bad?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL I have no idea. Mine are floating too. So at least they are doing the same thing LOL

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

I just recieved A.Fimbriata seeds from Greenbud on july 13th or 14th and just surface planted in flats of 1/2 peat 1/2 perlilite ,kept them misted atleast 2 or 3 times a day and this afternoon noticed one had just sprouted.I'm pretty sure the seed was only about a month old.I've been told that is real important as per rate and percentage of germination.Oh the growing conditions are in my study in a south facing window where the A/C vent is turned off so it gets about 85 to 95 in there.It's like a frecken blast furnace in there durning the day.I also have some outdoors under a oak tree but nothing there yet.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well that certainly sounds like good news!!! I've got two experiments going with my A. Watsonii. One dish, I soaked the seeds in straight 3% hydrogen peroxide for 20 minutes, then diluted it to 50/50 and am going to leave them for 24 hours then sow them. The other dish, I have them soaking in plain water, and will sow them after 48 hours. I'll probably do the same with my A. Fimbriata, as well.

PiggyPoo :0)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Piggy do as Don is doing. The seeds are only a couple of weeks old. Very fresh as I just harvested them. Gigantea took months to germinate but I find Fimbriata germinates fairly quickly
edited to ask if I can a beg a few seeds of your watsonii to try???

This message was edited Jul 22, 2006 11:04 PM

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Donna,
Absolutely you can have some seeds. I just got the plant today and it came complete with a full seed pod. What a bonus, eh?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

that was really great!!! That one will be good for a hanging basket like the fimbriata(doesn't climb). I didn't see if it said it climbs or not but said it got to only 3'

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 9:34 AM

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm hoping we can get them to germinate. Judging by the fact that the nursery here has had a tough time doing it themselves (lenghthy) it might be a challange. That's really why I was trying the different soaking methods that I'd read about. I'll get some off to you tomorrow. I don't have any more bubble envelopes, but I'll package them up well for you. Since I just got them from the seed pod yesterday, and it had popped open, would they still need to have drying time, or do you think they'd be ready now?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

In the info I got, it says "trailing to 3ft". I was the one that added A. Watsonii to the plant files, and put in info that I'd found.

Heres a neat article I found and got info from. It's from the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/aristolochiaceae.html

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Donna, check out these pics I took last October..towards the bottom of the thread

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/629248/

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

to weird. My Pipevine cats are brown looking not red like yours.

I will sow your seeds in a hanging basket as well. Thanks for the info and pics

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Those cats weren't mine. They were at the Tucson Botanical Gardens, last October

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Donna, I think the PV cats morph as they grow. Red as they're young, then almost black with red spines as they mature, does that sound more familiar?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

hmmmmmm don't think mine were red when little. Will have to go back and look at the pics lol. Mine are all brown right now. The eggs were all red looking

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Donna, when you plant your seeds, do you go through the steps to sterilize your soil?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

no lol. Only for brug seeds

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok, so...for regular seeds, like the fimbriata and watsonii, and anything else I don't have to go through this &%*#??? I guess I misinterpretted the info that I saw on another thread. Ugh..that was a lot of work this morning, cooking two bowls full in my microwave. But...it did run hubby outta the house with the smell of "cooking" dirt LOL

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!! Lorri it is a pretty bad smell

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I was like "oh darn, I'm sorry. It will clear out in a bit" LOL

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!! also

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

donlaclair - I am glad you're seeing some germinating sprouts from my fimbriata seeds. I just noticed germinating A. elegans seeds I received from jessmerritt. Took a good month at least for them to germinate - but worth the wait. I'm trying to germinate some of my own A. fimbriata seeds outside in a pot. Nothing yet, been about a month. I am going to try more controlled conditions indoors next.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL too....

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Greenbud--all aristolochia take about 30 (or longer) days to germinate for me too.
Debbie

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

the A.Elegans is starting to sprout.It was planted July 13th or 14th .It's at the stage where I'm scared of damping off.Is there any prevent for that?I've been misting all about 3 -5 times a day.It's in real hot conditions.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

well...I've been told not to keep seedlings too wet, because that can cause damping off. put a little bit of 3% hydrogen peroxide in your misting water. I've read that that helps to prevent damping off because it is a fungicide (spelling)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Lorri you seeds arrived yea!!!!!! Thank you Thank you!!!!! and my Elegans is blooming today

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.