In my garden

And just as it's day was ending....

Thumbnail by echoes

The rudbeckia seeds that came in a nice trade grew into several very different kinds of plants.

edited for duh

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 9:10 PM

Thumbnail by echoes

another

Thumbnail by echoes

and another

Thumbnail by echoes

And some Prairie Sun with Monarda Coral Reef in the background.

Thumbnail by echoes

There's Rudbeckia Herbstonne behind a Butterflly Bush.

Thumbnail by echoes
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ü The seedling of Rosy Returns is SPECTACULAR Brenda! (better then many I've seen at Daylily hybridizers sites :). What gorgeous plants and I love the combo planting :)

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Love the colour display in your garden Brenda! Your second pic of rudbeckia is sooooo different indeed. Is that tomato I see planted with rudbeckia? Neat!

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

The pics of your gardens are always so lovely Brenda. I really enjoy seeing what you have done. Thanks! --Ginny

Thanks for the nice comments ladies. Pam I am happy with this seedling, but don't think it is any improvement over it's mother. Time will tell. Just tickled to have a first year bloomer here. It must have something to do with the genes. Rosy Returns, Pardon Me and Happy Returns are such good long bloomers.

Erynne, that is a Green Zebra tomato you see there. I wanted to keep my tomatoes far enough apart that I could collect seeds, so I stuck a few in flower beds this year. I never dreamed I'd run out of room in my new garden, but it's almost full now and I'm wondering where I'm going to put everything I still want in there.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Beautiful photos Brenda. Do you know the name of the second Rudbeckia that you posted, the one with the narrow petals? I think that is quite striking. I notice you have a butterfly bush. Do you have any problems with it surviving the winter? I have always wanted one but have been really hesitant because of the zone 2b. Do you do anything special to it in the fall?

Linda, all of the un-named Rudbeckias were from a trade called Maroon and Gold. I have never found anything under that name and each one is a bit different. I think I'll get seeds from them - they've been blooming for awhile. I''ll save them separate, but I'm sure they will give a variety of types too.

Yes, the butterfly bushes are very special. Hardy in my garden makes them special enough, but they sort of came on thier own and I thought I had two of them in there. This spring I moved one so they wouldn't be so close together. There are still two there, so now I have three in that bed. I started some a few years back from Black Knight seeds, and kept a couple inside over winter. Only one survived and it's doing great in another bed, a dark purple. I tried to start some more from seeds that I got in a trade, but nothing came up. I think I must have re-used the starter mix for annuals and these came up later in the garden. Sometimes you just get lucky. I'll send you some seeds from mine (and some of the Rudbeckia you like) and you can throw them in your garden and see what happens. They sort of look like a veronica when they come up.

Officially I am zone 2 something now too, but I haven't told my plants yet. Hope for good snow cover.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

I don't have to hope for good snow cover...it just happens. Lots of the stuff.

I would love seeds from your butterfly bush. Hey if 1 seed germinates, I will be happy.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Brenda, awesome pictures! Luv your Brown Buttercup from Ginny. I also really like the red long petaled rudbeckia.

durtom, luv your dotcom!
:) Donna

I'll save some seeds from those for you Donna.

Oh, Donna? Look at this.

Thumbnail by echoes
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Brenda. Is that your Corkscrew vine?

Hey Donna, it sure is. After you told me you had buds, I went and looked at mine. Sure enough, now they are out there getting ready to freeze tonight.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Surely you put a pretty little coat on it tonight.
inanda

Well I tried, but it's climbing the trellis at the back door, so....

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh Brenda what a wonderful surprise Ü.......has it bloomed for you yet? Is it still alive??? :S

It's still alive. But not changing much. Next few days are to be hotter again, so maybe that will swell the buds. I'd sure like to see it bloom this year. I have a couple to bring in, and try to keep alive till next year. Not sure what to do with all these indoor vines I've got now.

Passiflora incarnata bloomed for me, the foliage never quite looks good on this one. I guess it will be coming back in soon.

Thumbnail by echoes

Newly aquired Rose, from my trip to Morden. Sunrise Sunset.

Thumbnail by echoes
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Crossing fingers and toes for you Brenda (hard to msn DD and do this too ;).
re the bringing in yep it does get to be a problem......especially if the forecast for this weekend keeps on track. :S

One of my clematis seedlings is blooming, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. Can't find a tag, and maybe I never did know what the seeds came from. You know, a pinch here a pinch there, wonder what these looked like when they were blooming?

Thumbnail by echoes
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Quit tempting me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

;)

I must be in love with this one, now that I notice I already posted it.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 1:24 PM

Thumbnail by echoes

What do you mean? The rose? Every prairie garden should be full of hardy roses like these. Easy care and few winter worries.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yep twas the rose ....... rosy returns is doing it too tho. ;)

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

Hi echoes
Its been awile sence i have been here hope you had a great summer.
i was so busy.
heres a pic for you i dont know if you every grown it but it blue anyways its call Dwarf Blue Pinpernell .

sorry the pic never went through here goies again

I'm so glad you're back DigD. How did you make out with the wind today? Hey come back, you forgot the Pimpernel picture.

sorry echoes
yes the storm has been nasty im having a hard time staying conected to the server.im still trying to send some pics

im trying again

Thumbnail by digging_dirt

this is the blue impatences

Oh that is such a bleu blue. I think I grew an Anagalis a few years ago. That is a good one. I must have it next year. I'm on dial-up too, some days are better than others. May be able to get highspeed soon.

When are you going to tell us what you've been doing all summer? And some pics of your gardens.

gees the server is driving me nuts.
echoes i judged three gardening contest this summer.
i was also i a beautification comittee i know thats spelt wrong.
we entered our town in a competion wont know if we won untail oct ,it was a hoot.now its winding down so i will be on more and im still trying to send some pic's
here that blue impatence i hope

this is one view of my front garden

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Very nice!

Thanks don
Here another of my tiger lilys

Post a Reply to this Thread