New with gathering/saving seeds

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I've been out trying to find different seeds in my yard, and have been reading up on the storage, etc. But I ran into something I wasn't sure about today. And..I know this is no help, but I don't remember what this flower was called that my seeds came from, AND I don't have one left to photograph, so...we'll see how this all goes. Anyways, my question is this..I found the seeds, with the little parachute thingys still attached, but then there seems to be a part of the flower that is still attached. Do I leave the little part of the flower attached, or remove it. I took a picture of the seed, through a little magnifying glass, if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
PiggyPoo :0)

Thumbnail by PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here's my size comparison

Thumbnail by PiggyPoo
Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
Your seeds are definitely from something in the Asteraceae (Daisy) family, but I dont think they are mature. Was the flower thoroughly dried (and probably somewhat puffy, like a dandelion seedhead might be) when you harvested it? Very often I find that seeds of plants from this family in the seed exchanges like the NARGS are in fact infertile because they were harvested too early, or because some plants in this family are self sterile (these require another clone [genetically different plant grown from a different seed] to set fertile seed).
The little thingy on top of the parachute is a part of a disk flower (the "petals" of daisies represent individual ray flowers), specifically it appears to be the female part (pistil). Generally if Asteraceae seed is ripe and fertile, it has shrivelled and dropped off by then so only the parachute would be attached to the seed. Its presence does not hurt the seed, but I suspect the seed shown is not viable anyway. To complicate things slightly, some Asteraceae like silphium and dahlias tend to produce "dummy" seeds that are infertile among the fertile ones. These are thinner and lighter than the fertile seed.
You can easily test seed from Asteraceae family members to see if they are viable by letting them sit for a couple of months (this is called afterripening and some seeds need it) then sow some on a moist paper towel in a ziplock bag. Set in a place where it is exposed to light (but not in sun as that might cook the seeds) and most kinds of Asteraceae seeds will germinate within a week or so. They generally do not require chilling like some other seeds, but may require light to sprout.
One way to become familiar with what is immature versus mature seed is to open up fresh and recently faded flowers of any of the following Asteraceae, and compare the young "seeds" you see with what you find in seed packets or completely mature, naturally dried seedheads of such flowers as zinnias, marigolds, sunflowers, and dahlias.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Ernie

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Ernie,
Thank you so much for the great information. The flowers that I'd picked, were the last ones on the plant, and they were very dead LOL Also, they weren't any type of daisy. They were some sort of Ageratum that I'd purchased last year, but couldn't remember exactly what it was. I'm going to let them dry out really well and see what happens. I was just curious as to what to do with the little plant part that was hanging off the parachute. Whether or not to leave it or take it off. Will that seed test you spoke of work on other types of flowers, or just the one you mentioned?

Again, thanks so much for the help :)

Tuckahoe, NY

Hi again,
Ageratum is in the Asteraceae, it lacks the ray flowers and each flowerhead (really a bunch of individual flowers packed together) is made up of many disc flowers. The germination test suggested will work for ageratum which is easy and quick to germinate. Good ageratum seed is tiny, but will be dark greyish/black in color.
Best wishes,
Ernie

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi again, Ernie..

Sorry to bother you again :( I went to the nursery here in town that I'd orignally purchased my mystery plant at, and it is not what I'd mentioned. It is an Eupatorium greggii. So, with that info...can you give me some feedback on the pictures of the seeds I had posted, or would it still be the same situation?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Piggypoo, this isthe best I could come up with.
Scroll down the page and look at the pictures, to enlarge the thumbnails just click on the picture. Hope this helped.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/88723/
Connie

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep, that's exactly what I had/have!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

I've just tasted the sweetest heirloom tomato and would like to save the seeds. I remember seeing a Victory Garden show where they took the seeds and let them ferment in a plastic container. Anyone know about this as to how long? Then, what? Any advice appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.