And Aloe seed....

Melbourne Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I picked the seed pods off my aloe when they were still green. Again, should I have left them on the plant? I always seem to miss the seeds when I let them stay on the plant....

I guess I'm not always clear about when to harvest!

-- Vicky

Thumbnail by vcb1
Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
I collected lots of Aloe seeds when I worked at a botanic garden, and also in Africa, so I can definitely help you on this one.
Aloe capsules split into three sections when ripe, and the seeds are usually held for a few days at least before the wind begins to remove them. Good aloe seed is somewhat triangular, and has "wings" which surround a thicker,darker central portion which contains the embryonic plant.
I have harvested green capsules and left them to dry and split, and gotten good seed, but this only works if the capsules are full sized and about to start yellowing. If the capsules fail to naturally split on the end away from the stalk that attached it to the flower spike, its probably too immature.
Most aloe species need two seperate clones to set seed, but even these will often set a few seed capsules at the very end of the bloom spike, so they are not technically completely self sterile. Others set seed fine on their own, and if other species are present, aloes hybridize readily.
If you are not going to plant the seed within a year, store them in an envelope in the fridge and they will maintain viability for years.
Good luck,
Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.