Bronze Fennel

Melbourne Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Has anyone saved this fennel seed? I picked off a seed pod after it opened on the stem. They weren't dry so I've been letting them dry out on a paper towel. A question.... should I have left them on the plant longer? Or will they be okay and will germinate given how I've harvested them? Boy are they tiny!

Thanks!

-- Vicky

Thumbnail by vcb1
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I don't know if the ones you picked will germinate - but in my 6b zone yard - bronze fennel is positively aggressive! It self-sows itself - everywhere. I have an established clump that is three years old now that is over my head. I wait until the seeds fall out of the flower heads with a tap of my hand into a collecting container. The seeds are very tasty - they taste like anise. I save some for cooking. Goldfinches love the seeds which is about the only reason I keep any in the yard as it doesn't produce a bulb for eating like the "usual" fennel. Sometimes the seeds are bigger than other times. Good luck!

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
Melbourne Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

It looks pretty there! I'm just letting mine grow. Various butterflies seem to like it and if it self sows, great. I actually put it in for the butterflies so I'm glad they're happy.

-- Vicky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.