Gloriosa lily seed info needed

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I have grown gloriosa lilies for many years now, but only from the tubers. This year I decided to try to save some seeds from them. I noticed that if I wait until the seed pods turn brown,like you do for daylily seed pods, there is nothing in them.

If I collect them when the pods are green but the surrounding leaves are brown, is this the correct time? I am including a photo of the stage at which I collected some. Will these be viable? Also, does anyone know how long it takes them to go from seeds to a blooming size plant so I can pass that info along?

Thumbnail by corgimom
Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,

I've had the opposite experience, I am growing Gloriosa lilies from seed, still waiting for flowers, but never grown them from purchased tubers.
Your seeds look good, were they dry and hard when they came out of the pods? If not, let the pods dry naturally so the seeds mature.
Gloriosa seeds take a while to germinate (a few weeks if I recall) and they will not flower the first year (at least not here in NY). Dry them off for the winter, and maybe you will get flowers the following year, if not they should be big enough in your climate to flower by the third year at the latest.

Ernie

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I really appreciate your response ! How long after collecting the seeds do I wait before planting? (do I wait until next spring?)

What medium do you use to plant them in? When you purchased seeds I take it then that they were not red in color like mine are now? (You can tell that I am not one that grows from seeds very often ! If I can't just throw seeds outdoors on top of the ground and leave them there then I usually don't bother with them. I have NO LUCK at growing things from seeds !)

Thanks for your advice!

Libby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.