Starting Apricot from seed

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I bought some apricots that were the best tasting ones I have ever eaten. If the seeds can be germinated, will they come true from seed? What do I need to do to try to germinate them? Can they be stored over the winter and started next spring?

Monon, IN

Hi, escambiaguy. Here is a link I hope works:

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/NAFEX/message-archives/old/msg03423.html

It says Apricot seeds need 3-4 weeks of cold in order to get them to germinate in the spring.

I am no expert, but trying to think logically about whether or not you'd get the same sweet apricots from the seeds causes me to suppose that possibly the tree your apricots came from was surrounded by the same kind of trees, so that it would have been pollinated by the same kind of trees, so that there might be a good chance you'd get the same sweet apricots.

But the picture could be a good deal more complicated than that. The trees could have been grafted, and sexual reproduction between them could cause the seeds to have within them characteristics of ancestors that will not bear fruit of the quality you want.

Is there any possibility of contacting the store where you bought the apricots in order to trace back to where the apricots come from, and to thereby ask the orchard where the apricots were picked what kind of tree they came from? You could then possibly just buy that type of tree.

Just my two cents.

CJ

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I bought them at Wal-Mart of all places. They didn't have any of the little stickers on them. I like the flat topped look of apricot trees, so I would be satisfied if I could get a ornamental out of it.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

As long as you will happy with any type of Apricot, Just stick the seeds about 2 inch deep in a spot you are not going to disturb for a couple of years. In this area they need to sit awhile in the cold damp soil of winter to be ready to sprout in the spring. You should be able to transplant the seedlings next fall/winter (after they go dormant)

Any commercial Apricot will be a hybrid. Cultivars are maintained by grafting or budding. Seedlings can give you nice surprises. One note of caution: Apricots are more susceptible to insects and diseases than peaches. Don't expect to plant it and ignore it. They need a lot of care.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Should I put the seeds in the refrigerator until winter?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes I would.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm collecting my apricot seeds too.

I started lots of pears this year from seeds.. You wouldn't believe the variety of the seedlings. and the seeds were all from one tree.. The leaves are different colors and the growth habits are different as well. I am having great fun with my experiment so far and hope to try to learn some whip grafting and maybe save one of the ancient old pear trees in the neighborhood.

Monon, IN

Even if you get apricots you don't especially like, you can eat the apricot kernels. They have good anti-cancer stuff in them.

Baltimore, MD

Carol, most apricot seeds are not edible, they contain too much cyanide. A few apricots do have edible seeds however.

Scott

Monon, IN

Hi, Scott.

I know there are websites one can go to where they sell apricot kernels in bulk, specifically so people can eat them for their amygdalin content.

I did not know it had to be a special apricot seed.

Thanks

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Well after I started this thread I put those seeds in the fridge in a ziplock bag. I checked them today and one of them has a root about 2 inches long. I wrapped it in a wet napkin and put it back in the fridge. What should I do now? It is still in the 80's here during the day.

Baltimore, MD

I would say it is too late to put it outside so I would grow it in a windowsill and then put it outside next spring. Plants that you do this to can get messed up as far as their dormancy requirements, it varies from plant to plant. Apple seedlings can seemingly grow right on through for 12+ months. I tried it with kiwis and they got really pooped in March. So I pulled off the leaves by hand and stuck them in the fridge for a month or so to get some dormant chill, and then they re-leafed in May and were back on track. I kept them potted until they were coming out of the induced dormancy, and at that point I planted them in the yard.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.