Gathering Seed Help Please

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I have 6 plants in the photo, How do I collect the seeds from these and when.

Thanks Connie

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 7:20 PM

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

1,2 & 4 are daylilies and you won't get seeds unless the flower is pollinated. #2 shows a couple of pods...the rest don't. Daylilies are hybrids however, and you will not have the same flowers from your seeds if you happen to get some. They will have different blooms from the parent plant. It will probably take 2 years to get a daylily to the bloom. There's lots of great information on the daylily forum about hybridizing daylilies and 'making' your own plants...you may want to check that out.

3, 4, & 5 are all similar...3 is a purple coneflower and the seeds are sort of gray things shaped like a badmitton shuttlecock in the center of the flower. When the flower fades and the whole thing turns brown and crispy, you should be able to pull apart the'cone' and the seeds should fall out on a paper plate.

4& 5 are rudbeckias and the seeds are small shiny and black...they are in the center part of the flower too...they will fall out when it's dry and you pull the head apart over a paper plate.

Please ask if something isn't clear...I'll try and help.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

got ya and thanks,

There are seed pods on all the lilies, just can't see them the way I took the photo.
Will check out the other forum,

Thx Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.