Any Ideas?

Beaverton, OR(Zone 8a)

I have a new raised flowerbed that gets sun all day and evening. I have one spot let that needs a plant. I want a very neat mounding plant, preferable evergreen. The flowers can be, white, pink, blue or purple. I absolutely DO NOT do reds, orange or yellow. I don’t want a shrub but the plant does not really need flowers. I have some plants that I just like the foliage but not the flowers (such as Coral Bells) so I keep the flowers cut off. I am in Zone 8. I need Ideas please! I have been to so many nurseries and can’t find anything that fit my needs.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Heaths come in white and various shades of pink. They make neat mounds and have evergreen needle-like foliage. They are commomly available in nurseries, but probably more in the fall and spring. I guess they are technically a shrub, so that may rule them out for you. Armeria maritima (sea thrift) makes much smaller mounds and have pink rosette type flowers on a short stem. These are quite low growing and their leaves are very short, grasslike. There is a white variety also, but much harder to find. There are many varieties of thyme, green or variegated small leaf. Dianthus make a small clump and there are many flower color possibilities. Another idea is teucrium (germander) that has a little bit larger leaf than any of the above and pink flowers in July.. Mine is a spreading, low mound (five inches tall or so). All of the above are very easy to grow and do not require a lot of water. Hope this is of some help, if only to get some ideas started.

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

I like silver mound artemisia myself. I've been wanting a few, but haven't bought any yet. they look like a perfect mound, unlike many plants that just have a mounding habit. the foliage is silver/grey and really stands out!

I vote for lavender.

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

How 'bout Salvia officinalis 'Purple Sage'?

Nice photo of plant's leaves:
http://www.greengardenherbs.co.uk/salvia-officinalis-purpure.html

Nice photos of leaves and flowers:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/31643/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.